14 replies to this topic

#1 Charcoop

Charcoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:59 PM

We're going to a 7:30PM show next week and hope there might be a restaurant very close by that starts serving at 5PM. Any ideas? THANKS

Char

Growing Old Isn't for Sissies

Bette Davis

#2 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:19 PM

I haven't been to either in a long time, but Machiavelli Ristorante (1215 Pine) and Union Square Grill (621 Union) are both options. Please don't go to Blowfish.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#3 Charcoop

Charcoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:22 PM

Thanks, tighe, I'll look 'em up.

Char

Bette Davis

#4 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:43 PM

I realize that restaurants can change a great deal in 2+ years, but the one time I went to Union Square Grill before the theatre, I was seriously unimpressed: vintage rant

Edited to add: Really close to the Paramount, and pretty decent food: Dragonfish. They serve all through the afternoon, so early dinner won't be a problem. I would suggest a reservation, though, if your schedule is tight -- prompt seating can be a problem if you're a walk-in.

You could also have some seriously great sandwiches at Baguette Box, up on the other side of the overpass. :blink:
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#5 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:51 PM

Paramount, and pretty decent food: Dragonfish. They serve all through the afternoon, so early dinner won't be a problem. I would suggest a reservation, though, if your schedule is tight -- prompt seating can be a problem if you're a walk-in.

Ah yes, forgot that Blowfish morphed into Dragonfish. Based on my experience, the former name suited them better.... :lol: :blink:
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#6 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:59 PM

The area around the Paramount really needs better restaurants doesn't it??

What about Tango, 2 blocks up?

Did 727 Pine already turn into Ruth Chris?
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#7 Charcoop

Charcoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:59 PM

I realize that restaurants can change a great deal in 2+ years, but the one time I went to Union Square Grill before the theatre, I was seriously unimpressed: vintage rant

Edited to add: Really close to the Paramount, and pretty decent food: Dragonfish. They serve all through the afternoon, so early dinner won't be a problem. I would suggest a reservation, though, if your schedule is tight -- prompt seating can be a problem if you're a walk-in.

You could also have some seriously great sandwiches at Baguette Box, up on the other side of the overpass. :lol:

RE Union Square Cafe.....Now tighe, you KNOW how fussy I am......if YOU were unimpressed, I can only imagine how sad I might be at a less than stellar experience.... :blink:

Now then, The Paramount also suggested DragonFish as is is VERY close to the Paramount. So, I'm checking it out now.

Location/seating (the "snacks at the Paramount bar do not guarantee a table/chair) is the main deal here.

THANKS!!

Char

Bette Davis

#8 Charcoop

Charcoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:42 PM

OK, let's regroup. DragonFish blows.. :blink: And you're not wild about Union Square either....So, how about I check into Tango, as Wendy suggests?

Gee...going to a show is always a hastle because we want a GOOD meal at a very early hour...and want it fast...LOL.

Have to say that's why I like going to the symphony (geezer that I am) because Wild Ginger is only 1 nanosecond away and we actually have had a couple of great meals there over the past few years.

On to Tango...LOL

Char

Bette Davis

#9 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:48 PM

I usually end up doing the opposite and go to happy hour before hand and grab a snack and look for a late supper.

Rocky

#10 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:10 PM

We usually go somewhere for early dinner and then just move the car.
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#11 Charcoop

Charcoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:38 PM

I usually end up doing the opposite and go to happy hour before hand and grab a snack and look for a late supper.

Rocky

That's because you're still young and can do late supper.... :blink:

Char

Bette Davis

#12 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:16 PM

Bringing this back up because similarly, I am looking for a place to dine (with a group) after a matinee at the Paramount so around 4:30-5pm on a Saturday. Oh and mixed incomes so nothing too high end...
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#13 Allyson

Allyson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE(Eden @ Oct 11 2007, 04:16 PM) View Post
Bringing this back up because similarly, I am looking for a place to dine (with a group) after a matinee at the Paramount so around 4:30-5pm on a Saturday. Oh and mixed incomes so nothing too high end...

I still love the Baguette Box, though it might be too small for your group.

#14 Charcoop

Charcoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:27 AM

We're hooked on Tango after having gone a few times prior to evening shows at The Paramount. I think it opens at 5P...maybe the lounge at 4:30P where you can nibble while you drink and wait for your table. Really interesting menu...moderately priced and good service.

Going back again before Spamalot !

Char

Bette Davis

#15 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

It had been years, like 8 or so, since I have been to Tango and now I've been twice in the last six months. Both were pre-show meals before going to the Paramount.

Last night Paul and I went with SeaGal and SeaGuy and we started with cocktails off their list. All were okay, mine was a tad sweet. The bar was packed so they took quite a long time coming. While we waited we ordered a few plates to start us off. The menu is broken into seven sections: Cold tapas, hot tapas, ensaladas and sopas, cheeses, frutas del mar, carnes, and paella. The meat and paella sections seemed more entree size so we stuck to the small plates last night. We started with the Madrid Platter which came with Serrano ham, Principe bresaola, Spanish chorizo, port mustard, Manchego and caper berries. All were quite tasty. Next we had the Ecuadorian Shrimp Ceviche Avocado which came on a layer of tortilla chips. The shrimp were basically cooked and there was more cucumber than anything else on the plate. After that we had the albondigas, which were beef and pork in a tomato/pepper sauce. They were fine, not remarkable except there were three to an order, which drives me crazy when your serving a party of four.

Since our first cocktail order took so long (20 minutes I think) we decided to place our second order as soon as the first round of food was delivered. Our server said that was a good thing because the bar was still slammed. SeaGal and I had a serviceable martini, Paul ordered a bottle of rosé for the table and SeaGuy had a sidecar, which was also fine but a tad sweet.

For our next round of food we started with potato croquettes, which were a bit bland. They were saved by the smoked tomato/cotija sauce but there needed to be more of it. We were trying to decide between the carnitas or, what appeared to be, a Chorizo, linquiça and andouille hash. Or server steered us to the carnitas - she said it was her favorite thing on the menu. It wasn't carnitas the way I think of them; braised and then crisped at the end. These were a bowl of braised pork with some onions and peppers with it. They were served with warm tortillas (which were really good) and a tomatillo salsa. Next time I'll try the hash. To finish it off we had some what was called Gambas Picantes Chipotle: tiger prawns, roasted corn-coconut galletas, pumpkin seed-cilantro pipien. For $13 you got four small-ish prawns and one small corn cake. There were no pumpkin seed but sunflower seeds instead. This was really the only dish that I felt was sized inappropriately. We also had a half order of bacon wrapped scallops. Quite a few of the dishes come in two sizes. We had the larger size on all except the scallops. I didn't try them but the rest of them said they were better than the shrimp. We had also ordered some wild mushrooms sauteed with chard and Serrano ham. At this point it hadn't come out yet and were were feeling done. I tried to cancel the order but as I flagged our server down, she came out carrying them. Unfortunately the dish was missing the ham and we were getting full so we ended up not eating them.

It was SeaGuy's birthday so they comped us their famous El Diablo dessert. It had just enough cayenne in it to make it zing but not overpower. The meringue cloud was gritty with sugar and the caramel was overpoweringly sweet. But if you created a bit of just the chocolate, some caramel and a marcona almond, it was pretty tasty.

Our total bill including coctails, wine, tax and tip was $120 per couple.

Insider tip: Tango offers $4 valet parking at the Homewood Suites across the street. You can park before eating, go to the show and pick up your car after, as long as it's before midnight. Plus, you miss all the post show traffic right around the Paramount. Such a deal!
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM