13 replies to this topic

#1 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:21 AM

A friend will be vacationing there in two weeks and asked me for eating recommendations. I said I would inquire on the board. Anyone have any good suggestions?
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#2 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:24 AM

A good "high end" place is White Horse Tavern. I haven't been, but an MFer who's traveling loved it..and I trust her :blink:

I've had a good meal at Scales..and heard good things..but my info isn't current..2 years old.

The Clarke Cook House, Candy Store and Black Pearl are all on the same wharf...I think it's the same ownership..but different levels of formality..all good; for what they are...burgers to a nice local fish...in 3 different atmospheres..my favorite is the bar area of the Clark Cook...

Flo's clam shack..best clam shack

A nice take is a walk along the Cliff Walk..."the cottages" on 1 side and the Atlantic on the other..wear good walking shoes ..it's gorgeous

#3 Kim

Kim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:09 PM

the Inn at Castle Hill has a beautiful restaurant and is great for sun setting cocktails..its up the Hill on Ocean Drive. the dining room is octogon shaped, with almost all windows and sweeping views. The food is above average hotel dining, and the Inn itself is a fantastic small hotel.

Near the warf, in a converted old townhouse is la Petitie Auberge..haven't been in two years, but recall that it exceeded my expectations at the time.

Black Pearl is a safe bet, while the food was good, I wasn't as impressed by the chowder as the reviews I read seem to be.

Unfortunatley, my last trip there left me generally unimpressed w/ the changes in Newport..GAPS, Starbucks, Pier One Imports all along the wharf. I've been visiting frequently since 1980, and after a 8 year absence, returned again two years ago to find a different Newport than I remembered :blink:

#4 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:34 PM

Friends were members at Bailey's Beach, and I used to eat crustless tuna salad sandwiches with weak iced tea whilst discussing Bif and Bunny's latest misadventures. Now that was another world in a galaxy far far away. :)
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#5 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,655 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:43 PM

the Inn at Castle Hill has a beautiful restaurant and is great for sun setting cocktails..its up the Hill on Ocean Drive. the dining room is octogon shaped, with almost all windows and sweeping views. The food is above average hotel dining, and the Inn itself is a fantastic small hotel.

If you stay at the Inn at Castle Hill, make sure that the place will not be the site of a wedding while you are there. The inn is very expensive and my weekend there a few years ago was marred by the unrelenting sounds of revelry. We got no sleep, it was not relaxing, and the management was completely indifferent and unapologetic.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#6 backstory

backstory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

any updates ?
coctails at sunset at castle hill sounds great rolleyes.gif
the Petite Auberge - still good?
good place for fresh grilled fish? i am allergic to shellfish and not looking for chowders.
In the end, it's all a rental. - hollywood

#7 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:19 PM

last i was there i had a some good (actually great) American Italian at Mama Luigi's i think it's called? Neat place too.
http://blogtimko.blogspot.com - blog
http://nicholascookbook.blogspot.com - blogging through a cookbook band-wagoner

#8 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:34 AM

We stayed at Castle Hill in 2007 and drinks on the lawn at sunset was very fun! Also had a great casual dinner at Scales & Shells. The first night we ate at the Castle Hill restaurant which was quite good if a bit over priced. Lunch on our way out of town was at Flo's Clam Shack, yum!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#9 backstory

backstory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:35 PM

the petite auberge had closed :-(

we ate at Puerini's and it was the best italian i've ever had. it was the sauce. they have a variety of suces, all with great combination of ingedients, and you can choose to have veal or chicken prepared in it.

menu

i had chicken in panna con rosemarino. yumm. it is small and intimate and also has a nice outdoor veranda kind of seating.
nice selection of wines.
In the end, it's all a rental. - hollywood

#10 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

Can anyone recommend some moderately priced restaurants for dinner for my OH?

#11 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

I'll be here next week for work (flying into Providence....could probably eat in Providence on Friday night but have ideas for that)...any recentish recommendations? 

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#12 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

We liked Oberlin quite a lot. But now I see you have ideas for that, so never mind!

#13 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

Oberlin is one of them :)

But almost all my time will be in Newport.  As far as I can tell there is a decent-looking oyster bar...

#14 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

Newport is beautiful.  Especially the cliffwalk.  Midtown Oyster Bar is deft enough and the oysters are better there than everywhere else.  Food overall in Newport tends toward the mediocre.  Good beer lists, bad cocktails, ok wine.