63 replies to this topic

#46 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

I moved the discussion on Slow Food to its own topic in the General Food Discussion forum.

#47 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:27 PM

Does anyone sell ramps at the market?
Gone fishing for the summer.

#48 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

Does anyone sell ramps at the market?

The mushroom guys had them last weekend.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#49 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

Thanks! A mushroom guy at a market down here had them too. Makes sense...
Gone fishing for the summer.

#50 SFJoe

SFJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

On the subject of pricing, I have to say that I was pretty impressed this morning by medium sized red beets for $1 each, and a $50 rack of lamb.

#51 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:26 PM

On the subject of pricing, I have to say that I was pretty impressed this morning by medium sized red beets for $1 each, and a $50 rack of lamb.

Protein is no fair and the Catalan farm next to me had beets at a bunch for $1.25.
Red onions were 99 cents. ($1.75 at Raley's!)
You can pay a lot, no doubt.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#52 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,543 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

back from surfing already?

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#53 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:14 AM

I regularly pay the equavalent of $1 for a beet in France. How was the lamb?

#54 SFJoe

SFJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:15 PM

I bought some different lamb, and some different beets. The different lamb (from Golden Gate inside, rather than Niman's outside) was great, and the cheap beets were also great (roasted, with aioli).

Rancho seemed to be off surfing with actress/models when I stopped by to look for him.

#55 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:18 PM

I bought some different lamb, and some different beets. The different lamb (from Golden Gate inside, rather than Niman's outside) was great, and the cheap beets were also great (roasted, with aioli).

Rancho seemed to be off surfing with actress/models when I stopped by to look for him.

It's the motion of the ocean!

#56 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

The beet goes on, the beet goes on
Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain
La de da de de, la de da de da

The grocery store's the super mart, uh huh
Little girls still break their hearts, uh huh
etc.
etc.
etc.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D
Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#57 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

An article on CNNonline.

#58 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

What a great market, in a beautiful setting. Wish I could go more often. The strawberries (Dirty Girl) and apricots (Frog Hollow) we ate yesterday set new benchmarks for me. And I wanted to try those gorgeous little lettuces so badly, that we had a snack at the Market Cafe just to get a salad. Very, very good. Also ate chicken buns and daikon rice cakes (don't remember the name of the place, maybe Pim will chime in). Oysters at Hog Island, pate de fruit and fleur de sel caramels at....Richiati? I can't remember the name exactly. And bites of fruit all over the place. And Blue Bottle coffee. And some stuff from the craftspeople in the front. Beautiful day, great, great vibe. And lovely to see some folks!
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#59 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

...pate de fruit and fleur de sel caramels at....Richiati?

Recchiuti

#60 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:50 PM

Yes! Seriously good.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid