134 replies to this topic

#1 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:10 AM

I was so happy on Saturday to get to walk down to the farmers market again! I just love love LOVE doing my shopping each Saturday (U Dist Market)

So this week I picked up some gorgeous fresh eggs, oysters, lettuce, asparagus and iris'. Next week I plan on getting lots of starter plants, they look great!!

I didn't see any morels except from Wild Things and they didn't look to good, they were real wet??

What did you get this week??
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#2 reese

reese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:22 PM

fresh eggs, gorgeous tulips, pork short ribs, fresh cow's milk cheese (edible rind, creamy interior) and goat milk yogurt. oh - and those lovely "salad onions" that look like oversized scallions. there were loads of starter plants at the WSFM too.

#3 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:39 PM

I didn't see any morels except from Wild Things and they didn't look to good, they were real wet??

My husband went on a morel foraging outing this weekend with the mushroom club over by Leavenworth (morel-land) and found very few morels. He got about 8. :)

I think perhaps it is still early in the season here for morels. At least I'm hoping there will be more in the weeks to come.

#4 laurel

laurel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:29 PM

There were nice looking morels at Madison Market yesterday, for $24.99. I didn't buy any, so I can't tell you how they taste...

#5 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:46 PM

Do you think that is a good price? the one's at the UD were $30/lb. I'll be watching for them again this week!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#6 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:40 AM

Morels are $30/lb at Sosios/Pike Place Market right now, too (best place for wild mushrooms at the market). That is high. I hope the price comes down in a couple of weeks or so. The Portland morel thread says they are finding them for $16-$18/lb. at their farmers markets, much cheaper than us to date.

Hey, does anyone ever see ramps at our markets? I always hear about ramps from east coasters, but have only eaten them once, at Lark. I just never see them at our market ...

#7 Sleepy_Dragon

Sleepy_Dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:13 AM

Hey, does anyone ever see ramps at our markets? I always hear about ramps from east coasters, but have only eaten them once, at Lark. I just never see them at our market ...

Frank's Produce at Pike Place Market. They come and go in an eyeblink.

Pat

#8 laurel

laurel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:06 PM

There were nice looking morels at Madison Market yesterday, for $24.99.  I didn't buy any, so I can't tell you how they taste...

I bought some yesterday. Sauteed briefly with olive oil and salt, in a salad with radishes, caramelized onions, radishes, and salmon. Yummy! I don't know if I can tell an ok morel from a really good one though; they've always tasted really good to me.

To keep on topic, I'm really looking forward to the Broadway farmer's market on Sunday!

#9 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:22 PM

Foreged and Found had beautiful morels for about $17 lb. at UDist. grabbed some of those, fresh eggs, baguette, strudel :), green garlic, spring onions, asparagus and rosemary and parsley starters.
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#10 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:37 AM

Opening day of the Broadway Farmers Market was great! We saw several familiar vendors from the U-District market, and some new to us. It was a delight to re-discover Belle's Buns (sticky buns, and they also had new coffee cakes today). Quite a few vegetables for sale, great flowers, lots of tomato plants. We bought morels, baby turnips, some pork from Whistling Train, and a few other goodies (sticky bun).

#11 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:48 PM

sign in the window at essential bakery today says the Madison Valley farmers market will be at 20th and Madison... not across from Cafe Flora as we expected.
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#12 olivina

olivina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:45 PM

Anita,
Did you say Madison farmer's market? As in Madison Park not far at all from Montlake??Really? What day of the week and when? That is so cool!

#13 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:36 PM

As in Madison Valley, even closer to Montlake!

Friday evenings, 4 to 7 pm, say the signs down by the arboretum.

~A

Edited to add: correct time is 3 to 7pm. Obviously it was too early yesterday.
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#14 laurel

laurel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

The snap peas and shelling peas from Alvarez are great! I bought them at the Broadway market, but I know they're at several other markets too.

#15 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:14 PM

I was out of town last week so didn't get a chance to go, has anyone seen zuccinni blossoms yet??
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag