• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#16 luvkweezine

luvkweezine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:10 PM

Be sure to try the 'meditteranean' mussels from TAYLOR SHELLFISH FARMS..he's usually at the U-district market on Saturdays and the Ballard farmer's mkt. on Sunday...I don't know if he's at the other ones around town.

#17 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:54 PM

I was out of town last week so didn't get a chance to go, has anyone seen zuccinni blossoms yet??

plenty of them at the u-distric farmer's market today,

I found them when I was already out of cash having splurged on black currants, cherries, apricots, baby spinach, sorell and King Bolets. I'm not allowed to go to the u-district market alone or I'll come home with more food than 20 people could eat - this was restrained for me :(
We also picked up kebab meat from thundering hooves, cherry tomatoes & fresh green pepper: Bill has promised to pull out the grill this weekend!
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#18 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:18 PM

Yes there have been gorgeous blossoms 2 weeks in a row now. We picked some up that we will stuff with goat cheese. Also got cherries for clafouti and garlic scapes to pair with little red new potatoes. and berries, berries, berries!!!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#19 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:33 PM

I found fresh garbanzo beans at one of the Wednesday organic produce stands, at The Market today.

Had to buy them since I've never seen them before, but love garbanzos.

Now, what do I do with them?
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#20 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

Just got back from the Lake City market which runs from 3-7 on Thursdays. It's smaller than some, but has a nice selection of farmers as well as baked goods, cheese, frozen organic meat and smoked salmon.

I started off with a slice of cherry strudel to fuel my foraging--it was still slightly warm--ummm.

I bought tomatoes, haricot vert, new red potatoes, red and gold beets with lots of nice greens for steaming, some really nice looking broccoli with slender stems and deep green leaves attached, a round of aged goat cheese, basil, and some blueberries.

I also saw saw fresh chick peas--they are on leafy stalks with small pods. Let us know how they turn out, Eden.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#21 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:04 PM

Wow the tomatoes are looking so gorgeous, tons of different varieties. lots and lots of fresh eggs available now. we also picked up more berries and squash blossoms which are staples for us when available. and one of the cheese makers had fresh mozzerella this week but I thought it was a bit pricey. Also came home with a chicken for the bbq!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#22 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:13 PM

Loki had fresh rockfish, halibut and salmon this week! very nice.

also there is more corn and it's looking a lot better.

And beautiful small chanterelles!!!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#23 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:19 PM

what kinds of tomatoes are in the PNW markets now? We're getting a lot of yellow plum tomatoes, early beefsteaks, etc here in NJ. By late August, they'll be about a pound a half for each beefer, beefheart, etc.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#24 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:11 AM

I see beefsteak and lots of heirloom here. Not very knowledgable on tomatoes so maybe someone else will chime in!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#25 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:30 AM

From Ballard today we picked up: tomatoes, fresh peppers, baby yukons, nectarines, beautiful lettuce, sweet corn, both eggs and the cheese & herb spread from Fromagerie d'Anne-Marie, and apricots which didn't even make it back to the car :o

Didn't notice much new this week except pickling cucumbers and okra
- Athenaeus

#26 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

From Columbia City yesterday I picked up:

The always lovely 'wild & spicy' lettuce, herb & flower mix (I adore this just plain with a simple vinaigrette) This one contains nasturium flowers and leaves, dill, mizuna, arugula, etc etc.

A beautiful bunch of rainbow chard
A dozen eggs
3 kinds of tomatoes: beefsteaks, and 2 russian heirloom varieties
A big bunch of japanese sweet scallions

Nice little market down there.. and it goes till 7pm so working stiffs can get there!
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#27 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:56 PM

chanterelles and huckleberries are now at the UDist market!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#28 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:55 AM

This Sunday is the last day of the Broadway Farmers Market (Broadway and Thomas). It's 11 am to 3 pm. Last week there were delicious potatoes, many varieties of squash, gorgeous colorful peppers from Alvarez Farms, and all sorts of goodies. It would be a great time to shop for Thanksgiving dinner. See you there.

#29 luvkweezine

luvkweezine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:51 PM

good news! The University Farmers Market at 50th & University is staying open until February 25! They will open a bit later...10am instead of 9am. :D

#30 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:22 PM

The U Dist did this last year too. It's the perfect time of year to get those oysters!! and the pasta people and strudel lady always worked it too.

Don't forget Ballard market is open year around
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag