Luggage Tag

#33 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

At the Ballard Farmer's Market is a guy selling homemade pasta- his name is Justin Neidermeyer and the business is called Pian Pianino. What I love about them is they are onion skin thin... and totally delish. I had a ravioli from him that was stuffed with fennel and ricotta, and it kicked ass. And a super skinny spaghetti type that wasn't called spaghetti :D Go try his stuff!
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#34 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:01 PM

Does anyone know for certain if the U-district Farmers market will be open next Saturday?
After today, the Ballard Farmers Market is taking a two week hiatus, but will resume the 2nd sunday in January.

A new to me vendor today was Aldrich Farms from Bellingham selling various jellies & sauces including a black cherry/cabernet jelly and a spicy apricot jelly, along with a nice little pumpkin butter, and a raspberry chocolate sauce.

Lots of cabbage & turnips today :rolleyes: along with potatoes, celery root, carrots, squash & pears. Winter bounty...
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#35 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:50 PM

Does anyone know for certain if the U-district Farmers market will be open next Saturday?
After today, the Ballard Farmers Market is taking a two week hiatus, but will resume the 2nd sunday in January.

Here in northern NJ, the farmers markets have been closed for about six weeks. And, they reopen in late May...

You folks are so fortunate...
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#36 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:04 AM

Here in northern NJ, the farmers markets have been closed for about six weeks. And, they reopen in late May...

You folks are so fortunate...

we are indeed! until a year or so ago all our markets also closed in the fall & didn't return till May or so. It seems the markets are so popular now that it's worth it for the vendors to keep a couple of them going almost year round - hurray!

re my earlier question, here's the skinny on the U-District market in case anyone else wondered as well:

"University District Farmers Market: 9 am to 2 pm every Saturday through Dec. 17, closed Dec 24, then open every Saturday 10 am to 12:30 pm from Dec. 31, 2005 through Feb. 25, 2006 (the market will then close during March and April and re-open in May 2006). "
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#37 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:18 AM

A new to me vendor today was Aldrich Farms from Bellingham selling various jellies & sauces including a black cherry/cabernet jelly and a spicy apricot jelly, along with a nice little pumpkin butter, and a raspberry chocolate sauce.

Eden, I tasted their pumpkin butter at the West Seattle Farmers Market today. Yummy!

I didn't even realize the W. Seattle Farmers Market was still open until we drove by today.

Jeremy (former sous chef of The Herbfarm restaurant) was also there with his wild mushroom stand. He is an excellent forager. He had a basket of Black Trumpets, Chanterelles, and Washington state Black Truffles! Plus various dried mushrooms from his forages. Um, I wasn't even aware Washington state has Black Truffles, but yes, we do!

Other things I saw were various squash, kales, mustard greens, baby beets, other root veggies, and jams, artisinal cheeses, hazlenuts, Little Prague bakery w/ strudels...

#38 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

OK, it's a sunny Sunday: go to the farmers market! We'll be at the Broadway market (Broadway and Thomas), which is from 11-3. West Seattle and Ballard are both open also. I've never been to the Ballard one, and I've heard it's great (hoping Matthew and I can field-trip there some time in September). West Seattle has many of the vendors from the U-District Market. If you want a real field trip, take the Water Taxi to West Seattle like we did last weekend.

I'm hoping to score a few more ripe peaches. Possibly plums. Potatoes are here. Chiles, garlic, berries...

#39 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:42 PM

Today at the ballard market we picked up: more huckleberries :lol: savoy cabbage, purple cauliflower, fresh sweet corn, beatiful orange tomatoes for grilling, a big bouquet of flowers, muscat grapes? (the kid working the Oxbow stand didn't know, but they had that flavor to them.) also some green grapes, a scary looking green pepper for Bill and the most fabulous nectarines with this floral/rose overtone - so ripe they explode in your mouth :blink:

There were still plenty of blackberries & raspberries to be had, and lots of squash, apples & pears to let us know that Autumn is on it's way.
- Athenaeus

#40 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

If anyone hasn't been the Ballard Farmer's Market in a while, they'll be surprised at how big (and crowded!) it has gotten. It is just fantastic these days. Vendors do run out of things so if there is something special you want, go early (it opens at 10).

#41 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:37 AM

At the Edmonds Farmer's market (9 a.m. - 3 p.m., going strong until the last Saturday in September)....
"Fruit Blasts". These are fruit juice infused raisins. They come in peach infused (nah), blueberry (nah) or raspberry (addicting!!)...and I am not a raisin fan, typically. Love 'em on salads, solo or mixed with almonds and T.J.'s dark chocolate soy nuts as a trail mix sort of concoction. Tasty! :blink:
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#42 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:49 PM

This seems like a logical thread for this question:

Does anyone know what happened to Fromagerie Ann-Marie? We used to see them at the farmers markets all the time (Ballard especially, but also others) and they seem to have just disappeared :P
I miss my adorable French cheese guy!

the variety of apples at the u-Distric market yesterday was wonderful - I came home with a big bag of Cox's Orange Pippins - probably my favorite eating apple.
- Athenaeus

#43 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:21 AM

I'm moving to Seattle in 2 days...has anyone seen any Honeycrisp apples around?

Looking forward to exploring the farmer's markets. I still haven't been to one yet!

#44 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

I'm moving to Seattle in 2 days...has anyone seen any Honeycrisp apples around?

Looking forward to exploring the farmer's markets. I still haven't been to one yet!

Honeycrisps have been everywhere for awhile.

#45 Guest_22tango_*

Guest_22tango_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

And Minea Farm Cider Mill out near Woodinville (on 202 near Theno's Dairy -- fabulous ice cream!) is featuring Honeycrisps in their most recently pressed ciders!! YUM!

[P.S. Welcome to Seattle, Lorna!!!!! :P ]