#16 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

InnBinn in Ballard is also awful

Inn Bin is another one of those places that I have a soft spot for. No matter how bad they are, I will still think highly of it. When Paul and I were first dating we also worked together and, to be able to go out to lunch and not get caught, we would go to the Inn Bin. It felt so......clandestine :)
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#17 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:06 PM

...excellent crispy canned corned beef hash.  Yes, I like the canned stuff.  :D

Me too! They also do a bang-up canned version at Beth's.

One of my most-amusing (and oft-repeated) breakfast scenarios...
Me: "Is your corned beef hash home-made?"
Waitress: "Oh, yes! It's great!"
Me: "Well, then I will have the bacon."

The look on the server's face is priceless.

That's so funny, I feel the same way. I especially hate it when they make their own and the cornned beef is in big shreds and it's all kind of loose and undercooked. Hash should be crispy on the outside and smooshy on the inside!

:) :D That's so funny Anita! I agree, about the hash 100%, I also demand the the potatoes be little uniform cubes as only a machine can make it. Oooh and even better when it's all crispy is when they crack an egg into it, yeah baby!

Rocky

Great One, Anita! I'll have to remember it. Was at the "Original" pancake house in Ballard and had their homemade corned beef hash....it tasted like it had vinegar in it...(Insert Shudder smiley here....)

Jason
www.bloatitup.com

#18 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:08 AM

InnBinn in Ballard is also awful

Inn Bin is another one of those places that I have a soft spot for. No matter how bad they are, I will still think highly of it. When Paul and I were first dating we also worked together and, to be able to go out to lunch and not get caught, we would go to the Inn Bin. It felt so......clandestine :)

Oh well if you're going to judge it on romantic ambience that's a whole 'nother ballgame :D
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#19 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:41 AM

Great One, Anita! I'll have to remember it. Was at the "Original" pancake house in Ballard and had their homemade corned beef hash....it tasted like it had vinegar in it...(Insert Shudder smiley here....)

another "morbid curiosity" in the form of a particular dish: the 'red flannel' hash at the 5-Spot. Now, I love hash browns, and I love beets, but the two together?? :)

It did NOT work. I believe its no longer on the menu.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#20 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:50 AM

I know that Hattie's Hat receives good reviews from the likes of The Stranger, but from the outside it looks a bit "scary."  I used to eat at dives like The Dog House and Ernie Steele's back in the early/mid-1990's, but I also smoked a lot of weed back then.

ERNIE STEELE'S?! Wow, haven't thought of that place in years. Used to go there for weekend breakfasts! What moved into that space? I don't think its a restaurant...

Don't be afraid of Hattie's Hat. Its a fairly standard kinda tries to elevate the food a bit.. but doesn't really try THAT hard sorta diner. Good basic stuff.

My favorite Hattie's Hat story:

Diner: "Is the Salisbury Steak good?"
Waiter: "Fuck yeah!"

edit: am I thinking of the correct Ernie Steele's? Was it downtown, like on 4th somewhere??
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#21 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:15 AM

Am I thinking of the correct Ernie Steele's? Was it downtown, like on 4th somewhere??

Nope...Possibly you were thinking of the Olympic Broiler? Or Possibly Sleepy Dragon's and I's favorite downtown dive, The Turf? :)

Ernie Steeles...Home of the Naugahyde Wildebeast...Isn't it an outpost of the Julia's chain now?
www.bloatitup.com

#22 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:23 AM

Oh...and...(Blame that damn Entertainment Book again...possibly a new thread? Hmmmmm......)

Went to Dante's in the U-Dist 2nite. 89 cent wells and BAD karaoke...But, our Internet ordained officiant for our wedding passed his orals for his PhD. (Way to go, Aksel!)

Ordered the "Dante Burger". Frozen patty, cheddar and bacon...and Tartar Sauce.
Jeez Louise. They have salads on the menu. What the F*%!K? TARTAR SAUCE?!?" Are you kidding me? I'll be tasting this thing all night!
Let us also not forget the doughy, greasy onion rings.

I'll have my angioplasty now, thanks. :)
www.bloatitup.com

#23 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:47 AM

Jason, you are just taking them for the team left and right man. Seriously, put down the Entertainment Book and back away dude. :) :D :D I stopped buying them when I realized I wouldn't go to half the places in it. Ahhh Dante's, it's like Chuck E Cheese with booze, just replace the screaming kids with screaming frat boys.

Rocky

#24 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:04 AM

On the subject of Moon Temple, I've discovered that the salt and pepper squid is good, and the rest is fine in a I'm looking for decently executed bad chinese food with better service than I expected, hey is that a fully stocked bar at rock bottom prices in the next room, I'll have an extra strong whatever because if I call it you'll jack the price way up and it's only fifty fifty whether or not the bartender just gives the house pour anyways, sort of way. It's also got an orange awning. :) By the way, I've always wondered who the hell does the voting on CitySearch. I mean, there are all these restaurants with awards from CitySearch that I just don't get, and my friends wonder when I say I don't trust CitySearch user reviews.

Rocky

#25 elswinger

elswinger

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:11 PM

Ernie Steeles...Home of the Naugahyde Wildebeast...Isn't it an outpost of the Julia's chain now?

You are correct! It had changed it's name to Eileen's for awhile (I think she was a waitress there for about a hundred years) then it folded and became Julia's. I think a ton of restaurants have come and gone on Broadway since I moved here in 1990 (I miss Rocket Pizza most of all).

#26 schielke

schielke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

Rocky ----

YOU DA' MAN! for starting this thread!

Amber and I ate at Moon Temple about a year ago....(Yeah, blame the Entertainment Book!) Agree with Eden...It probably has not improved much. It had a very odd smell and the food was just plain bad.

A couple weeks ago I went to Moon Temple with (drunk) friends (i of course was just a little tipsy). We arrived around 1:30 am, haven't been out that late for about 20 years and it was super fun. We all survived the potstickers without even a stomach ache. Head ache was a different story.. Terrible drinks though, stick with the beer. Service was surprisingly nice and prompt. Funky downmarket decor and packed with people at that hour.

Earlier on the same night we visited the Monkey Bar on Roosevelt which is a place I've often wondered about. Really fun 2 guy band playing extremely energetic punkish rock, a table full of serious poker players who were somehow oblivious to the band, and all ages from 21 year old dancing trendy kids, professor looking couples, guys with LONG ponytails and old, crusty geezers. My little crew added beauty and sophistication.:)

Can't vouch for the food, but the place is great for slumming. The beer was ok.

The Monkey is rad, they have the best jukebox in Seattle.

#27 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:53 PM

Oh...and...(Blame that damn Entertainment Book again...possibly a new thread? Hmmmmm......)

Went to Dante's in the U-Dist 2nite. 89 cent wells and BAD karaoke...But, our Internet ordained officiant for our wedding passed his orals for his PhD. (Way to go, Aksel!)

Ordered the "Dante Burger". Frozen patty, cheddar and bacon...and Tartar Sauce.
Jeez Louise. They have salads on the menu. What the F*%!K? TARTAR SAUCE?!?" Are you kidding me? I'll be tasting this thing all night!
Let us also  not forget the doughy, greasy onion rings.

I'll have my angioplasty now, thanks. :)

Oh God, I used to work in a Travel Agency on Roosevelt and we used to order take-out from Dante's--Ugghhh.....really bad food.

And another good/bad one. The Rimrock Steakhouse in Lake City--across the street and south of Toyoda Sushi. Not really sure why we even thought of trying it (simultanious brain farts, I guess :D ). Bar none, the absolute worst steak dinner ever, accompanied by a nasty ice-berg lettuce salad with bad blue cheese dressing and mushy cauliflower with "cheese" sauce that had absolutely no flavor. It made me feel like the guy in Steven King's Pet Semetary (the book, not the movie), who, while preparing to go bury his son in the Indian burial ground, goes to a restaurant and consumes a large, tasteless meal.

We were the only one's in the place--no surprise here. Now, whenever we have a not-so-good meal in a restaurant, we look at each other and say, "at least it's not the Rimrock".
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#28 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

I agree, about the hash 100%, I also demand the the potatoes be little uniform cubes as only a machine can make it.  Oooh and even better when it's all crispy is when they crack an egg into it, yeah baby!

Do you think they do canned corned-beef hash at the Rickshaw? We could kill 2 birds with one stone! :)

I love CBH so much, I have a little song I sing when I am driving to get some. :D Admittedly, I haven't eaten much of it since mad cow has left me a lot more cuiorus just what parts of the beef they are corning, but I still love it in spirit.
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#29 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:09 PM

Do you think they do canned corned-beef hash at the Rickshaw? We could kill 2 birds with one stone! :)

Hmmm....Karaoke as well? :D
www.bloatitup.com

#30 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:10 PM

At breakfast!? I don't think my hangover could support karaoke! :)
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.