49 replies to this topic

#16 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

The Munchmobile has done Mexican restaurants and Breakfasts.

A colleague of mine went on the Mexican food trip and thoroughly enjoyed herself.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#17 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,126 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

The Star-Ledger's Munchmobile has set out for a new season. The Munch is a 9 pax van with a huge hot dog on the roof, which transports a crew of observers to many food locations, usually tied to a theme. This week's theme is hamburgers(snip)

Michael's Roscommon House, Belleville

Here, at the last stop of the night, we found burger near-nirvana. No fancy toppings here; this is one burger that tastes great all by itself, thank you very much.(snip)

Burgers

After a stint at WBGO this morning, I found myself in front of Michael's Roscommon House on Joralemon Street in Belleville.

Very fine burger, ordered medium rare and delivered that way. $8 for an 8 oz burger on a good, dense bread roll. Nice char, modest amount of grease, slightly dry as there was minimal dripping. Some hamburgers (Zinburger, as reported) tend to be loose and wet, with plenty of soaking liquid. This was the opposite, a firm, dense, piece of meat with a very fine grind.

The barkeep mentioned that the meat is ground for them by Jerry's Butcher down the street, and is delivered fresh daily. Mostly sirloin, cut to their specs, which she declined to discuss. Very good burger, perhaps a half step behind Gaffer's, Pal's, or O'Neil's, but among the better burgers I've had in a while.

Lots of deals on their boards, with $8 pitchers of Miller's, $5 Imperial pints of Guinness, $3 pints of domestic beers from 4-7pm with free food, etc. Many notices for soccer leagues, Irish social associations, police charities, and clog dancing, etc.

Next week, I plan to visit Krug's in Newark and Kilkenny Ale Pub on Central Avenue. I would have visited Krug's this week, but the drifts of snow and absence of parking spaces precluded that.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#18 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,126 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:46 PM

Visited Krug's Tavern in Newark today. It's in the Ironbound section, about 12 blocks east of Newark Penn Station. It's about a 20 minute walk from the station.

Very atmospheric place, a dive bar throwback to the 1960s. Quite dark, several TV sets, long bar in the front room seating about 20, tables for 2 and 4 seating another 20, a dark dining room beyond seating another 40 or 50 people. The place was half full, all English-speaking men as far as I could tell. I chose a seat with a good view of the grill.

Usual choices on tap (Bud, Miller, Ying, Bud Lite, Sam Adams winter, and an IPA). The IPA was wonderful, a really good brew with bite. The bar keep told me he didn't know where it came from, "our distributor got it, and we like it". I was to find that this answer is the house special for many things.

The grill is a flatbed, perhaps 3 wide by 3 deep, well used. Burgers are preformed and stored in the adjacent glass front fridge. Each 12 oz burger is about the size of a baseball, and the far row of the grill has three or four started. Each time a burger is turned, it moves one row closer to the front. The next closer row has burgers which have been flipped and squashed once. Grease is abundant. The second closer row has burgers which have been flipped again and squashed one more time. These are the rare and medium rare burgers.

Medium and well done burgers are in the first row. Onions and bacon are cooked in huge batches on the left side of the grill, in the same way. Rare stuff in the back, cooked stuff in the front. As noted, grease is abundant. Rolls are toasted in a salamander underneath.

The burgers are huge. Advertised as 12 oz, they are served about five inches wide and one inch thick. Perfectly cooked medium rare with three crisp pieces of bacon. This one burger could stand up to the Peter Luger burger. It's that good.

Grease is moderate, the roll is substantial, the crisp is noticeable but not intrusive. The meat is loosely formed and remains somewhat loose when cooked. It's nowhere near as densely formed as that at Roscommon House last week or Arthur's in Morris Plains the week before. When I asked the grill man about the burger, he professed not to know much about the mix. "Some sirloin, I think. Don't really know."

I didn't order anything else. Other diners seemed to be enjoying a French dip (a heap of thin sliced roast beef served on a roll, some with melted cheese, all with a small bowl of jus), deep fried breaded shrimp, etc. I may have been the only person enjoying a draft pint, shorty drafts and eight and 12 oz bottles were common.

The tab for two pints of IPA and the 12 oz burger with bacon was $15.20, tax included. Tip extra.

Krug's Tavern is located at 118 Wilson Avenue in Newark, a few blocks west of elevated US 1-9, on the edge of an industrial area. West of Krug's is settled residential and Portuguese commercial / retail. I felt quite safe in the area.

Krug's

I walked, but driving would have been quite simple today. The Ironbound tends to be a zoo on weekends, and in the Summer, and often in the evenings. Penn Station's south exit to Market Street, left onto Market Street, then an immediate right fork onto Ferry Street for a few blocks past Riviera Bakery, Forno's of Spain, Iberia, etc, and a right fork onto Wilson Avenue. Krug's is on the right about four blocks down, with a private parking lot adjacent. Entrance off the lot, or from the front sidewalk. Street parking was available, which is unusual in the Ironbound.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#19 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:10 PM

The Ledger doesn't usually get into Bergen County, (that's Record territory) but a bevy of burger places have sprung up in the last 2-3 years here:

Bobby's Burger
Smashburger
BUCU Burger (just opened)
Cheeburger Cheeburger
Sonic

and then, the old standbys:

White Manna
Cubby's
Joe's American
Fuddrucker's

So they could easily spend a while scarfing up burgers here, these places are all in a 5 mile radius around Paramus. I suppose burgers are having a surge these days. Guess the healthy craze is on hold. :)

#20 hotdoglover

hotdoglover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

I went to Krug's yesterday for the first time to sample the burger which was highly rated by the Munchmobile this past summer. It was certainly the best burger I've eaten. Krug's is an old tavern that reminds me of the places my grandfather drank at in Jersey City years ago. My wife and I sat at a small table across from the bar. The bartender, Tom Darcy, who is also the cook, did a great job serving us. The burgers are 12 ounces (3/4 lb) and are formed into huge meatballs. The beef is from a local butcher shop and very fresh. Tom wasn't sure of the blend, but I believe it is chuck and maybe some sirloin.

The burgers are cooked on a small griddle behind the bar. It takes awhile to prepare them as they are very big. I usually enjoy a few beers to whet my appetite. We ordered our burgers medium and they came out that way. Next time I'll try medium rare. The burgers are pressed down on the griddle; similar to White Rose and Smashburger. I love Smashburger, but Krug's burger, in addition to being bigger, is also better. Either the meat is higher quality, or fresher, or both. I had mine with American cheese and nothing else. The bun was a sesame seeded bun from Pechter's that was large enough for the patty. Pickles (Boars Head) and hot peppers come with the burger. At $6.00 and change, this is a great value. We split an order of fries. I would describe them as steak fries in regard to size. Although they are of the frozen variety they were pretty good.

Krug's also has a reputation for excellent hot shrimp and calamari. They make a cheesteak that I've heard is very good as well as an Italian Hot Dog. The Italian Hot Dog is served on pizza bread from DiPaolo's (which suplies Dickie Dees) and includes 2 Best's franks, peppers, onions, and potatoes. The potatoes are actually the steak fries. They are placed on the plate next to the sandwich rather than on top of the sandwich. As much as I love Italian Hot Dogs, I don't think I'll be ordering one at Krug's. The burgers are just too good.

Rail Paul,

I forgot to ask about the IPA. When I went to the bar I saw the tap handle said Red Hook IPA, but this doesn't mean that was what was being served. One of the guys at the bar started talking to me and I got sidetracked and didn't get a chance to ask. I'll be back next weekend with my son who loves burgers. I'll find out then.

#21 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

And right down the street from the D'artagnan warehouse... I might have to do a special pick up to, um, save on delivery charges..
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#22 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,126 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

And right down the street from the D'artagnan warehouse... I might have to do a special pick up to, um, save on delivery charges..

D'Artagnan has been agreeable to pickups with advance notice, in my experience.

Krug's is about six blocks west (toward Newark downtown) of D'Artagnan. If you're coming from D'Art / US 1-9, Krug's would be on your left, and their parking lot is on the corner of Napoleon Street

...Jonathan Waxman

#23 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,126 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

The Ledger doesn't usually get into Bergen County, (that's Record territory) but a bevy of burger places have sprung up in the last 2-3 years here:

Bobby's Burger
Smashburger
BUCU Burger (just opened)
Cheeburger Cheeburger
Sonic

and then, the old standbys:

White Manna
Cubby's
Joe's American
Fuddrucker's

So they could easily spend a while scarfing up burgers here, these places are all in a 5 mile radius around Paramus. I suppose burgers are having a surge these days. Guess the healthy craze is on hold. :)

Elisa Ung of the Record visited a few Bergen area burger places, and reported on them for the paper.

She wasn't excited with Zinburger (the roll's bottom was bigger than the burger, the fries were eh, and they upsold her on the wine), but liked Smashburger. She enjoyed Bucu, the new place on Route 4 that was written up last week. Didn't care much for Burgers Bar in Teaneck, and wasn't much impressed with Cheeburger Cheeburger.

Burgers in Bergen and environs

...Jonathan Waxman

#24 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

I can't wait to try BUCU in Paramus (without the cupcakes). All of their meat is supplied by one local butcher, and is the same one used by Minetta Tavern in NYC.(Pat LaFrieda). Should be great. I'll report back when I go.

Picnicchef-- please check your personal messenger. Thx.

#25 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,943 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

Calling Pat LaFrieda "one local butcher" is sort of like calling Apple "one maker of smart phones".
Bar Loser

MF Old

#26 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,126 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:19 AM

Another visit to Landmark in Livingston. It's a 1930s roadhouse on NJ 10, about a 1/2 mile east of the circle.

Good burger, nicely cooked, thin char, $6.50 for an 8 oz burger, 75 cents for cheese or onion toppings. $5 pints (Bass, Blue Moon, Guinness, Bud, Bud Lite, etc). I wouldn't say it's excellent, but definitely good. Sides add up, though. $4 for fajita fries, $4.50 for sweet potato fries.

FWIW, I usually order the pizza, which is very thin crust, very thin layer of toppings. 16" and bar pie sizes.

The place is a classic. Booths, lots of bar space, prob 7 TV sets, tables jammed in the back.

...Jonathan Waxman

#27 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,126 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

Tommy:eats has a favorable write up on the Bucu Burger n Paramus, but also mentions the new "Hat Tavern" in the Grand Summit hotel in (da-dum) Summit NJ.

The menu of tapas items, and a range of burgers reads well

All Beef Hamburgers feature the famous "La Frieda" blend, made up of brisket and short rib. The beef used in the hamburger is sourced from Creekstone Farms in Kentucky and is naturally raised and hormone free, graded USDA Choice or even Prime. By using inherently marbled beef and a low pressure grind, the La Frieda blends—perfected over 90 years of butchering—offer what must surely be some of the best burgers available to the general public.

Traditional Hamburger $9
Toppings (Add .75 for each topping)
Caramelized Onions, Bacon, American Cheese, Swiss Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, Mozzarella Cheese, Chili, Sauteed Mushrooms, Onion Rings, Banana Peppers, Fried Egg

Jersey Burger $12
American Cheese, Pork Roll, Lettuce, Tomato on White Toast

Hat Tavern

...Jonathan Waxman

#28 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,126 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:34 AM

Nice dinner at Hat City in Orange tonight. I went for the burger and the chicken.

Excellent fries, very polished 10 oz burger. Light char, perfectly cooked to medium rare, modest amount of grease. A little more densely packed than I prefer, but a very good burger. $13 with blue cheese. I liked it better than the Zinburger.

Their chicken was 2/3 of superb. Bronzed, crusty skin over wet, ultra moist meat, dripping with peppery goodness. Soaked in peppered buttermilk, then rolled in a thin batter. Served with a drizzle of pepper honey. Two pieces were sublime, the third was prob 1 minute overdone. Mahogany on the crust instead of bronze, and stringy in the centers. $15. Note that this chicken is cooked to order, so they recommend an app, salad, etc for the 25 minute wait.

I'll cross post on the Hat City thread

...Jonathan Waxman

#29 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

Holy cow, you guys, I am like so full, you guys, like so full, you guys... Posted Image My mother and I went to Krug's today.. All I can say is, a sincere thank you for the recommendation.. It was one of the top burger experiences I have had.. Truly an exceptional and wonderful burger..

I found the burger though, to be super juicy.. Like 10 napkins juicy.. I ordered the bacon cheese burger while my mother ordered a regular cheese burger.. They cheese both the top and bottom buns... As people had said, the burger is pretty massive.. 3/4 of a pound massive.. And some how remains loosely held together and super moist..

I ordered mine medium rare while my mother ordered her's medium.. The looked very similarly done...

This place is so damn good.. I couldnt believe my mother finished her burger, she is pretty much a vegetarian and rarely eats meat.. Very proud of her..

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#30 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

Is "pretty much a vegetarian" something like "almost pregnant"? LOL, a 3/4 lb burger???? :)