41 replies to this topic

#1 mizducky

mizducky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:20 AM

Heh. Having searched the board and found few if any mentions of San Diego, I wonder if there are any other members within easy travel distance of this burg.

If there are, I wouldn't mind getting together with y'all for some food-oriented expeditions. My budget is kinda tight, so I'm not really up for expensive joints; but it would be nice to find some folks with whom to go for dim sum, that kind of thing.

(Hoping I'll hear more in this topic than just the sound of crickets... :o )
Spring is sprung / the grass is riz / I wonder where / The duckies is ...

#2 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:58 AM

Not in San Diego, but in South Orange County, and am feeling much the same! I'd be happy to meet half-way or even come down to San Diego (at least north county) anytime during the week for lunch or with the DH for dinner on the weekend. :o
Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#3 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:00 AM

Actually, if you can get up there, there are supposed to be some fabulous new places in San Clemente that I'd love to try. I've been to Iva Lee's several times, but there are others that I'm dying to try. I bet I can round up some others to join us!
Deb

#4 mizducky

mizducky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:58 PM

Actually, if you can get up there, there are supposed to be some fabulous new places in San Clemente that I'd love to try. I've been to Iva Lee's several times, but there are others that I'm dying to try. I bet I can round up some others to join us!

Oh yeah, San Clemente (and southern OC) are well within my traveling range. Just looked at Iva Lee's website and it looks intriguing, but I'm definitely interested in hearing what else is available. I'm up for just about anything foodwise, though I admit to special preferences for anything Asian, and anything involving local seafood.

#5 mizducky

mizducky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:30 PM

Not in San Diego, but in South Orange County, and am feeling much the same! I'd be happy to meet half-way or even come down to San Diego (at least north county) anytime during the week for lunch or with the DH for dinner on the weekend. :o

Well, Deb, so far it looks like just me and thee, plus your husband-person and anybody else you might round up. (Though maybe some other folks might chime in here once we get things rolling...)

Given the traffic patterns and my schedule, I think a weekend meet-up would work better for me. So--what places in the south Orange/north San Diego county areas would you recommend we check out?

P.S. My sole culinary adventures in south OC have, like a lot of my recent adventures, revolved around Fearless Housemate's band. He's played a series of private corporate gigs in the fancy hotel-type venues in Dana Point, Laguna Niguel, etc., on some of which I've tagged along as behind-scenes factotum, and let me tell ya, some of those places can sure put on a spread. And there's usually a ton of food left over at these things and, hell, we're not proud ... :o One night we were just finishing load-out, and the caterers were doing likewise, and there was this huge cartful of cracked crab claws, still properly iced down, just left there in the parking lot next to the event tent, with an informal invitation to partake. There is something definitely surreal about a whole bunch of tired musicians and techs standing around in the back parking lot of a luxury hotel at 2am wolfing down crab-meat for all they're worth. Not particularly relevant to our current planning, but hey, it amused me at any rate...

#6 jschyun

jschyun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:04 PM

Oh it's time I went to San Diego again. I have to admit, the best meals I've had in San Diego was actually at the Ruth's Chris in Del Mar, so I figure I have more eating to do.

I also will have to swing by the Town Center to get some of those caramel passionfruit hearts at Chuao. Those are my favorite.

#7 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

Weekend sounds good to me! Let me check DH's schedule and think about places. We've got our God-daughter's graduation next week, so I'm busy getting ready for her party and stuff--give me a few days. :o
Deb

#8 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:52 PM

OK, we're good for any weekends (Fri., Sat., Sun.) except for this weekend and July 7-17.

Here are some of the places in San Clemente that I've heard good reports on:

Beachfire

Gordon James

Vine

White Horses

Iva Lee's

The only one of these that I've been to Iva Lee's. I don't know of anything Asian down that way. That doesn't mean there isn't anything--just that I haven't heard of anything.

I don't really know about anything in No. SD County, except for a place in Solana Beach that used to be decent and had great jazz. But I haven't been there in ages and am not sure they've got the jazz anymore.

When we decide on a date, I'll send out a notice to the SoCal mail group that we've got going--and if you'd like to be put on the list for future outing with this group, just let me know! Several members here are on the list, including jschyun.
Deb

#9 kalypso

kalypso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 05:59 PM

Mizducky,

I'm in San Diego. As you no doubt already know, San Diego is hardly a culinary destination, but it is improving and there are a growing number of worthwhile places to try. My preferences are for Mexican and Italian, but will do Asian.

Try Sakura #1 in Kearny Mesa - same shopping center as the Original Pancake House - for great Japanese food. It's at the back of the center near the army recruiter, there is no signage.

#10 mizducky

mizducky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:59 PM

OK, we're good for any weekends (Fri., Sat., Sun.) except for this weekend and July 7-17.

Here are some of the places in San Clemente that I've heard good reports on:

Beachfire

Gordon James

Vine

White Horses

Iva Lee's

The only one of these that I've been to Iva Lee's. I don't know of anything Asian down that way. That doesn't mean there isn't anything--just that I haven't heard of anything.

I don't really know about anything in No. SD County, except for a place in Solana Beach that used to be decent and had great jazz. But I haven't been there in ages and am not sure they've got the jazz anymore.

When we decide on a date, I'll send out a notice to the SoCal mail group that we've got going--and if you'd like to be put on the list for future outing with this group, just let me know! Several members here are on the list, including jschyun.

All of the restaurants you listed look pretty interesting, and I wouldn't turn any of them down. At first glance, White Horses intrigued me the most ... although Beach Fire looks like it would be a fun hang.

Could the Solana Beach joint you're thinking of possibly be the Wild Note Cafe adjoining theBelly Up Tavern? I've never dined in the cafe, but I have been to the Belly Up for shows a bunch of times (in fact, several of my musician friends have performed there). The cafe has gotten sorta-mixed reviews--the gist being that most of the food is decent to quite good, but execution and service can be uneven. The performance venue is also good but quirky--the big and handsome-looking space is marred by several structural support columns that are in just the wrong location sight-line-wise, and I've heard one of my friends blow their sound system to bits without even trying. But they attract good acts, including some headliners, mostly rock but also some jazz, blues, and folk/roots type music. And Solana Beach is definitely a cute town--although it's about to be overrun by the crowds from the nearby San Diego County Fair, and thus will be kinda zoo-y traffic-wise until the fair ends July 4th.

Anyway, now that I've attempted to entice more people to participate :o , perhaps we should dial in the finer details by PM.

#11 mizducky

mizducky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:30 PM

Mizducky,

I'm in San Diego. As you no doubt already know, San Diego is hardly a culinary destination, but it is improving and there are a growing number of worthwhile places to try. My preferences are for Mexican and Italian, but will do Asian.

Try Sakura #1 in Kearny Mesa - same shopping center as the Original Pancake House - for great Japanese food. It's at the back of the center near the army recruiter, there is no signage.

Cool. Thanks for the tip on Sakura #1--there are so many places wedged into all those strip malls on and around Convoy that it helps to have tips to sort them out.

I could definitely use some tips on Mexican joints too (even though my stomach, alas, can't take the heat like it used to when I was a young'un). Weeding out the obvious tourist-trade joints is relatively easy, but hunting down the places that do truly authentic, cut-above-the-rest food has been a bit more challenging. I'd love to find places that explore Mexican regional cuisines rather than the burrito/street-food thang. Though I have nothing against a well-made burrito--in fact, I'd also love to know about authentic taquerias that serve stuff like lengua, tripas, all those wonderful offal tidbits. So--any suggestions you offer would be more than welcome.

#12 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:11 PM

Could the Solana Beach joint you're thinking of possibly be the Wild Note Cafe adjoining theBelly Up Tavern?

That's the one! Thanks--I'd have been trying to get the name for days!

See your PM!
Deb

#13 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:04 PM

I had a really nice meal in San Diego at Voyàge: 1845 India Street. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Voyàge website

It's a very attractive space, and the food was quite good. We had a house salad and a bowl of lobster bisque, as well as two entrées: a stuffed salmon and scallops in miso. Everything was wonderful. The single and only complaint was the slice of tomato on the salad: it had no business being there, being unseasonal and not good.

Our waiter was great: lovely French accent and friendly.

Here are some shots of the place and our food.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:56 PM

Thanks, Tana--that definitely looks like someplace we've got to try!
Deb

#15 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:15 PM

Bumping this up for anyone who may have missed this thread earlier...

We are having dinner at White Horses in San Clemente this Saturday (23rd). I've already made a reservation, but if anyone would still like to join us, please PM me and I'll be happy to change it for more! :blink:
Deb