#32 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:35 PM

Wow those look great. Thanks!
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#33 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:47 AM

Don’t know if we’ll get to Ironsides but Oscars was good. We went to Isola this evening for pizza and it was also pretty competent. The kids love a place called Breakfast Republic. Basically brunch from 7am to 3pm... say what you will about eggs and high margins, the food is not bad for what it is and after a morning of surfing we definitely needed the calories. Since there is a Din Tai Fung in the area we will be going there too. We already hit the one in Glendale. Interestingly the US locations seem to have a very limited menu, but we are trying to indoctrinate the kids early.

One thing we found by accident was a swanky movie theater called The Lot, in sort of an arts quarter located in a former army barracks. I definitely recommend the theater, which also serves cocktails and food (don’t think I could have sat through Lion King otherwise.)
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#34 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:19 AM

I can’t lift my arms above my shoulders though.
-Chomskybot

#35 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:57 AM

I could move here. The restaurants have been unspectacular, but the surfing...
-Chomskybot

#36 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:19 PM

Following a precisely calibrated optimization of Eater 38 recommendations constrained by a distaste for freeways we ended up at The Fishery in Pacific Beach. It’s probably as good as Ironsides in terms of quality, less hip but a very thoughtfully put together wine list.

In Little Italy we had good gelato at the place in the food hall, and then tried a place called Crack Shack that seems to be building a chain of upscale fried chicken sandwiches. Of the many chicken nuggets my kids got on kids menus this week, these seemed the best. Sandwiches very tasty but American sized.

In-n-out lives up to the hype. Those 7th day Adventists make a quality burger.
-Chomskybot

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

I agree. I don’t get why you score cool points for dissing it.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#38 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:39 AM

I don’t usually like zoos but the San Diego Zoo is really doing good work and is worth supporting. Expensive to get in but you can easily spend the whole day there and they do a lot of education.
-Chomskybot

#39 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:26 PM

I enjoy going to zoos that focus on conservation while I am traveling on Tour. San Diego is my 2nd favorite. The only one I would consider better is the Columbus Zoo. For a belated 'big' birthday present, thanks to a friend being very good friends with Jack Hannah, I got to spend most of a day behind the scenes this past June. The best was interacting with some of the animals. Talking with their caretakers and vets one on one was incredible. They share animals with the San Diego Zoo. If you're ever in Columbus, Ohio, do not miss it (and yes, it is worth a special trip to Columbus otherwise). 

Also "Secrets of the Zoo" is a behinds the scenes show about the daily life at the zoo on the National Geographic Channel. Great show.

#40 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

The one in Hamburg is quite good. We bought the kids “save the chubby unicorns” sweatshirts (silhouette of a rhino) to wear back home. 😁
-Chomskybot

#41 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

Bar Loser

MF Old

#42 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:57 PM

I'd have to rank the national zoo right up there amongst the top 5 in this country. 

And I've seen that show - it's fun!