2778 replies to this topic

#2686 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,419 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:23 AM

In Chicago for work. Snow is falling and TSA and ATC not showing up, I rebook for Saturday and score a good ticket for the Tedeschi Trucks Band. New bass player and keyboard player but the band still rocks and Derek Trucks is the greatest living guitar player on the planet. Sure there are shredders but no one plays to the mood of of the song or the crowd like Trucks. Susan remains one of the more soulful singers.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2687 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:24 AM

We disagree on a lot of things about music -- but not on how great Derek Trucks is.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2688 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:25 AM

Who'd have thought?  He might be even better than both Duane Allman and Dickie Betts.  And that's saying a lot.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2689 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:57 AM

I don’t know when I last went to a live jazz set in New York. I used to go to a lot, and I used to go to a lot (a huge number) of comedy shows, but there are some things which ebb and flow in one’s life.

But I’ve long admired Vijay Iyer, so picked up a ticket for the Jazz Standard this evening. Nice venue, good show.

ETA Although I’m not sure who I last saw at the Jazz Standard, I have a clear recollection that Debbie Harry was watching the show from the bar.

#2690 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

ETA Although I’m not sure who I last saw at the Jazz Standard, I have a clear recollection that Debbie Harry was watching the show from the bar.

The Jazz Passengers?

#2691 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:46 PM

Why wouldn't she be onstage for that?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2692 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Oh yeah, she will be - for the one upcoming.

But I think they also gig regularly w/o her, and I was wondering if perhaps she was watching them from the bar, at the gig Wilfrid was referring to.

#2693 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:59 PM

I really can’t remember; it’s possible. Did see them with Debbie a couple of times, once I know was the Jazz Cafe in London.

#2694 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,998 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:46 AM

Last night in San Francisco I happened to be in a multi-room club, The Speakeasy, that had a performance space where Tom Kenny and the Hi Seas were at work.  For a 12 piece group (including three female singers) they are a not too special good time party music outfit, playing mostly golden oldies from the 50s and 60s.  Luckily, this is not Tom Kenny's main source of income, if any.  Rather he has prospered by being the voice of Spongebob and writing some songs for Spongebob movies.  

Anyhow, toward the end of their set, Kenny brought out an aging musician (72) who played some guitar and sounded pretty tired.  But rock 'n' roll never forgets.  Turns out this was none other than Roy Loney, who was with the Flamin' Groovies in their early years when he co-wrote "Teenage Head" and other tunes.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2695 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

Still staggering on?  Good to know.

ETA:  From last summer. 70 year old Cyril Jordan on guitar: he's been wearing that outrageous wig for a while now (he was quite bald as a young man).

#2696 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,998 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:41 PM

Staggering is an apt discription.  Loney is more upright and animated in the video than he was Saturday night.  But it was 1 a.m.

Then that happened.

#2697 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:54 PM

Perhaps he'd had a little nip of something in his cocoa.

#2698 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,419 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

In Chicago for work. Snow is falling and TSA and ATC not showing up, I rebook for Saturday and score a good ticket for the Tedeschi Trucks Band. New bass player and keyboard player but the band still rocks and Derek Trucks is the greatest living guitar player on the planet. Sure there are shredders but no one plays to the mood of of the song or the crowd like Trucks. Susan remains one of the more soulful singers.

A link to TTB's new album, recorded live at their home studio. https://www.npr.org/...PCrT2qqurPr0H2Y

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2699 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

Last night in San Francisco I happened to be in a multi-room club, The Speakeasy, that had a performance space where Tom Kenny and the Hi Seas were at work.  For a 12 piece group (including three female singers) they are a not too special good time party music outfit, playing mostly golden oldies from the 50s and 60s.  Luckily, this is not Tom Kenny's main source of income, if any.  Rather he has prospered by being the voice of Spongebob and writing some songs for Spongebob movies.  

Anyhow, toward the end of their set, Kenny brought out an aging musician (72) who played some guitar and sounded pretty tired.  But rock 'n' roll never forgets.  Turns out this was none other than Roy Loney, who was with the Flamin' Groovies in their early years when he co-wrote "Teenage Head" and other tunes.

Just saw this - Tom Kenny was one of the San Francisco bay area comics who was a regular on the circuit in the late 70s - 80s. He always did these great cartoon impressions, or impressions of cartoon characters, and he even looked like a few of them. In addition to the impressions, he could do all those cool sounds from the old cartoons. Sponge Bob therefore did not surprise.

#2700 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,998 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:05 PM

he even looked like a few of them

True

Then that happened.