2738 replies to this topic

#2701 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

Fish Head Stew: Basically 40% of The Radiators with Dave and Camille on guitar, Mark Rechler on keys, Eric Bolivar on drums and the always awesome Eric Lindell on bass (Eric is an excellent guitar player. No one in the crowd had ever seen him play bass before.)

Dave and Camille now wear orthopedic shoes and drink coffee instead of tequila but wow, can they still play. Almost all Radiators songs and a great groove. Lindell's vocals add a lot. Just good and fun and happy and danceable music. If anyone is near the Brooklyn Bowl tonight, highly recommended. Tickets at a ridiculously priced $20.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2702 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,895 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:21 PM

Last night I went to the Teragram Ballroom to see the Richard Thompson Electric Trio (which actually has a fourth, a guitar tech, sitting in on about half the numbers played).  I had not been to this small venue previously.  It's a standing room only spot that has a capacity of about 600, it's immaculately clean and it has wonderful acoustics.  Thompson's playing and singing were excellent.  Demographically the crowd skewed older than any rock concert I have ever attended.  It was like a Woodstock reunion without the tie dye.  I doubt there were more than 4 folks under 45 in the room (other than bartenders).  Thompson appreciated this and asked the crowd not to die and to keep on consuming (buying his recordings).

The opener was a young American singer-guitarist named Ryley Walker who showed promise.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2703 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

I just learned that the X-Ray Spex show I saw at CB's in 1978 was their only U.S. appearance ever.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2704 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,895 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:40 PM

Despite the fact that the album hadn't had a US release, a two-week residency in New York's CBGB proved a storming success, and it was in a moment of serendipity at one of these nights that Poly Styrene inadvertently launched the recording career of Thurston Moore. A fan of the band, the young Thurston Moore was at the front of the crowd singing along to every word when Poly Styrene held the mic in front of him to add his "up yours" to the chorus of 'Oh Bondage! Up Yours!'. Thurston Moore later recalled it was the first time he had ever sung into a microphone, and by chance, the gig was recorded by bootleggers, complete with the Sonic Youth founder's vocal additions.

Then that happened.

#2705 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:48 PM

Little did my friends and I know that a few years later, another friend of ours who wasn't there that night would form a band with Thurston that would turn out (much to our chagrin) to be one of the best white rock bands of all time.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2706 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,895 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:36 AM

You knew Kim?

Then that happened.

#2707 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:33 AM

In that case I’d have worded it a little differently.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2708 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,713 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:04 AM

I just learned that the X-Ray Specs show I saw at CB's in 1978 was their only U.S. appearance ever.

Has that tiny oeuvre grown in stature or what? I am surprised they got to New York.

#2709 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:06 AM

I thought it was pretty fucking fantastic then, to tell you the truth.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2710 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,713 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:10 AM

Mm indeed but how fresh and right “Oh Bondage,” a rough mess of hardly musicians, still sounds today. Along with the other singles. It wasn’t I think as obvious at the time that these were enduring statements.

(I could write about how boring “London Calling” in comparison but...)

#2711 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:12 AM

And what a happy shock that Germ Free Adolescents was actually a good album.  I didn't assume they had it in them.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2712 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:12 AM

I remember listening to it that day in 1978, preparing for the show.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2713 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:22 AM

I still put on Generation Indigo when I want a good self-indulgent pop-music cry.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2714 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:26 AM

Wait a minute.  Poly Styrene's Times obituary says they also played LA.  Hollywood?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2715 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,895 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

This piece picked up from the LAT does not mention any LA engagements.  But I can envision the band showing up at the Roxy or The Starwood.  https://www.bostonhe...-spex-has-died/

Then that happened.