2738 replies to this topic

#2716 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:50 PM

Lou Reed Drones at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. The description really undersells it - there was a lot going on. Dance pieces, performers in various locations throughout the space, people lying down on the floor, so, so, so much recording (I saw someone with a HandyZoom). The droning, which was hypnotic and ominous and lovely, was confined to one area up by the altar, and I'm sure the person handling it would have been instantly recognizable to people more knowledgeable than me. My famous-musician spotting was limited to "oh, there's Laurie Anderson." And I know pictures of music are stupid, but here are two pictures of music.

iJhhPQL.png

6O7TLhU.png

#2717 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:10 PM

I really wanted to go to that.

how was the organist?

#2718 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:23 PM

The closest thing I saw to an organist was someone playing an electronic keyboard. Maybe I left too early (around 8:30).

#2719 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,344 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:25 AM

I am absolutely sick my newsletter missed that.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2720 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

I was already disappointed when Massive Attack canceled this weekend's shows. But now they've rescheduled them for the nigh I am going to see Stereolab.

WTF, Massive Attack?!

#2721 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:48 AM

ktl w/dreamcrusher. the two people in ktl took turns playing alone for about a third of the performance and peter rehberg blew o’malley off the stage, but I found the set as a whole boring, which was surprising given my memory of their records. I’ll dig those out tomorrow to see what changed.

#2722 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,719 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:45 PM

Grumpy guy here skipped invitations to Flo-Rida and The Killers, but I think I should go see Lady Gaga.

#2723 theclash

theclash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

Patti Smith at the Orpheum in Boston. Family affair with her son on guitar and daughter playing piano for the encore. Still rocking at 72.

#2724 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

Sheryl Crow performing (mostly) Linda Ronstadt songs after a screening of "Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice" at the Tribeca Film Festival. Documentary and mini-concert were fun in a nostalgic sort of way, both musically and cinematically.

#2725 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:44 PM

Patti Smith at the Orpheum in Boston. Family affair with her son on guitar and daughter playing piano for the encore. Still rocking at 72.

And at the Bushnell, in Hartford, CT, for Significant Eater and me last night. Minus Jesse Paris Smith, do dare I say it - even better.

4nejyXh.jpg?1

OiNkYqb.jpg?1

#2726 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

Where to begin. In New Orleans for 5 days for Jazz Fest and several special moments. Night shows in order:

Anders Osborne at Tipitinas with special guests Dave Malone (Radiators) and Amy Helm: Was a bit concerned going in as this show was billed as an album release show for Osborne and his latest release is far from his best (at least for my taste). But he rocked this show from the get go including a few covers (Wild Horses and Up On Cripple Creek). Plus it is hard to not have fun at Tipitinas.

Dumpstaphunk covering Curtis Mayfield and the Isley Brothers: Kicked off with Superfly and it was non-stop funk for the next 90 minutes which felt like 5 minutes.

Gov't Mule: I've seen Gov't Mule several times and people say, why would you see them in New Orleans during Jazz Fest when you can see them back home. And the reason is that two of the best songs I have ever experienced live were at Mule shows in New Orleans during Jazz Fest five years ago. So I went Saturday night and was treated to Mule playing Bird Song and Fire on the Mountain joined by Branford Marsalis and Jeff Chimenti. It was close to 30 minutes of magical music. Jimmy Vivino joined for several other songs including Why Does Love Got to Be So sad.

Luther Dickinson: this was a solo show in a small room and may be the the most entertainment value ever for $15. Greasy blues and story telling from a master guitar player.

And at Fest, the highlights for me were:

PJ Morton: PJ is the keyboard player for Maroon 5 but recently moved to New Orleans and started his solo R&B career. Several good songs and delivers them Stevie Wonder like.

Foundation of Funk: The rhythm section of the Meters with 1/2 of Dumstaphunk running thru the Meters catalogue. Great to see young people recognizing the music from all the sampling of the Meters. George Porter and Zigaboo Modeliste are true legends.

Santana: Started off with a video from Woodstock and then was in non-stop overdrive. He can still play and his wife on drums is a treasure. Solid band, joined by Trombone Shorty for the last few songs. Great set by a legend.

Maggie Koerner: ex-lead singer for Galactic, she writes dark songs and delivers them with passion. She was the first act on the main stage Saturday and was tremendous. Nice to see her get a mention in the Times write-up of Jazz Fest Monday. She deserves it.

Naturally 7: Acapella group made up of 7 excellent singers plus they use their voices to mimic instruments. Sounds corny but they are a great act. When My Guitar Gently Weeps made the Jazz Tent explode. Several standing ovations.

Mdou Moctar: Saharan blues by a Hendrix like guitar player. Word got out on this via social media because the Blues Tent was half empty when he started and was overflowing when he ended.

Maurice Brown: I may be biased but another great jazz/hip hop set from "Mobetta" and his excellent band. Brought a few friends to see him for the first time and they are now believers. He sat in on several sets over the weekend including one at a crawfish boil I went to Monday. Very versatile player now touring with Anderson Paak.

The O'Jays: Don't laugh but this is more about the vibe at their stage than the O'Jays. Still good with I believe two original members. Looking at thousands of people of all different races and ages dance and smile during Love Train gives me a bit of hope for the world. My daughter said "this is the greatest vibe ever" which made it a special moment for me.

So much other great stuff I missed. I don't know if it was because it was the 50th Anniversary or the weather or the crowds but this was my favorite Jazz Fest since I first went seven years ago. Just a great event and if you like music even a little bit, I guarantee you will come back from Jazz Fest disappointed that you had not gone before. I'm not stopping and hope to be able to go for both weekends at some point.

Some food highlights:

First bite of food in New Orleans was a tasty pork belly po boy from Killer Poboys

Excellent lunch at Herbsaint

An okay dinner at Peche

A better than expected dinner for 25 people at Luke

Ridiculously good grilled oysters at Drago's

At Fest:

Crawfish strudel

Crawfish Enchiladas

Cochon de lait po boy

Soft Shell Crab Po boy

Mango Freeze with a shot of tequila :)

Meaty White Beans

And 3 lbs of crawfish at a crawfish boil.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2727 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

Sounds great.

I have a buddy who is going next weekend. My question is always how does one choose who/what to see?  So many acts seem to tae place concurrently!

#2728 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

Sounds great.

I have a buddy who is going next weekend. My question is always how does one choose who/what to see?  So many acts seem to tae place concurrently!

JazzFest isn't about who you see, it's about who you miss. :cool:

Things I missed first weekend that I wish I had seen:

The tribute to Ellis Marsalis with Wynton, Branford, Delfeayo and Jason

The Piano Professors: Tribute to James Booker, Dr. John, Alan Toussaint and Professor Longhair by Davell Crawford, Dave Torkanowsky, Jon Cleary and John Gros.

Bonnie Raitt, Van Morrison, Walter Washington

And check out the listing of night shows for 2nd weekend:  http://www.jazzfestg...ond_weekend/

Ambrose Bierce

#2729 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

A bit bouncy but will give you a flavor of stuff that happens only here during this week:

Ambrose Bierce

#2730 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

If anyone wants a little lagniappe from JazzFest, here is a link for a few free webcasts of night shows: https://nugs.tv/

And WWOZ, the wonderful local radio station in New Orleans is streaming a few sets from JazzFest over the next 4 days. Especially looking forward to Eric Lindell and Mavis Staples later today: https://www.wwoz.org.../live-broadcast

Ambrose Bierce