2744 replies to this topic

#2731 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

If anyone wants a little lagniappe from JazzFest, here is a link for a few free webcasts of night shows: https://nugs.tv/

And WWOZ, the wonderful local radio station in New Orleans is streaming a few sets from JazzFest over the next 4 days. Especially looking forward to Eric Lindell and Mavis Staples later today: https://www.wwoz.org.../live-broadcast

Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/2WmlUXsjSv8

#2732 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

If anyone wants a little lagniappe from JazzFest, here is a link for a few free webcasts of night shows: https://nugs.tv/

And WWOZ, the wonderful local radio station in New Orleans is streaming a few sets from JazzFest over the next 4 days. Especially looking forward to Eric Lindell and Mavis Staples later today: https://www.wwoz.org.../live-broadcast

Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/2WmlUXsjSv8

Strong Wilco connection as I believe Jeff Tweedy produced one of Mavis's last albums and was instrumental in the development in the documentary covering her career.  If you have not yet seen it, it is must see.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2733 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

Soon to be famous guitar player Marcus Machado at The Blue Note.  He can play just about everything effortlessly. A beautiful sound to his playing.

Ambrose Bierce

#2734 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

Alejandro Escovedo solo full acoustic (like, not even a mike) at the Rubin Museum, last Friday night. If you've never seen a show here (they're all acoustic shows), it's pretty great, as the sound in the small auditorium is full-on amazing.

Alejandro Escovedo at a small private house concert, with another local NY musician playing guitar, Saturday night.

Nils Lofgren (50 years since he walked in on Neal Young, 35 years since he joined the ESB - oy) at City Winery Monday night.

Southside Johnny and the Jukes at City Winery Thursday night.

Ian Hunter next week - he's doing 3-night stand of different shows at City Winery. He's celebrating, get this, his fucking 80th birthday - and still performing well. We should all be so lucky - cause you gotta figure Ian partied pretty good back in the day.

#2735 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:09 AM

Wow, flashbacks. Ian Hunter. Good luck to them all.

#2736 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:16 AM

W6TamPH.jpg?1

Celebrating his 80th birthday. And then some.

#2737 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,904 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:59 PM

Good use of sun glasses.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2738 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:31 PM

Pretty much a signature look.

#2739 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:37 PM

All the old dudes hahaha. Sorry.

This week I walked out of OneRepublic before they started because I don’t like their music. (Corporate event, drinks and apps before the show.)

#2740 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:36 PM

Similar event, Gwen Stefani. Very polished shoe (I didn’t leave). Dancers were good but choreography very corny and predictable. Her music has never been part of my life, but some of those old No Doubt tunes are good.

#2741 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:37 PM

Polished shoe is worth preserving. Thanks spell check. “Polished show.”

#2742 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,904 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:02 PM

Similar event, Gwen Stefani. Very polished shoe (I didn’t leave). Dancers were good but choreography very corny and predictable. Her music has never been part of my life, but some of those old No Doubt tunes are good.

You're starting to sound like Ed Sullivan.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2743 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:25 PM

Ed Sullivan less garrulous these days.

#2744 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,404 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Drive By Truckers at the Brooklyn Bowl. One of my favorite currently touring rock and roll bands. So many terrific songs. Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley are flat out excellent storytellers. To think Jason Isbell was in this band too is mind boggling.

Played a new song titled "Thoughts and Prayers." You can guess what the lyrics to the chorus were.

Bette Smith guested on vocals for the Eddie Hinton cover, "Everybody Needs Love"   Crowd loved it.

A few chants for Cooley for President in 2020. :)

They are back this coming weekend for another 3 nights.

Ambrose Bierce

#2745 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:31 PM

Jenny Lewis at the Calvin Theater in Northampton, MA. I'm not a huge fan of hers (just along for the ride), but her band is excellent, the rest of the audience was very engaged, and the show was generally upbeat and enjoyable. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what other song each of her songs reminded me of. "Just One of the Guys" is still giving me fits. Nice dinner beforehand at Paul and Elizabeth's. And hey, balloons!

59EXfeb.jpg