2770 replies to this topic

#2746 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:33 AM

Richard Thompson at City Winery, this past Monday night.

I don't know if there is another guitar player, let's just say, who is as engaging as he is.  As Significant Eater said, 'it's as if he has four hands."

https://youtu.be/V5OIxSjj9e4

#2747 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

Blondie and Elvis Costello at Forest Hills Stadium. Elvis Costello rocked the house. Great band (especially the backup singers), well-thought-out succession of songs, excellent - if a little distracting - video presentation. I was disappointed not to hear anything from Almost Blue, or Mystery Dance, or Oliver's Army, but you can't have everything. And...it was nice to hear live versions of The Tide is High and Dreaming.

A word to the wise - the food court there sucks. I remember it being sort of passable last time I went (for Pink Martini in 2015), but your options these days are floppy pizza, greasy fish tacos, and (my choice) empanadas filled mostly with air. Eat first. Also drink first, 'cause a can of Heineken is $11, and that's your least expensive option. And don't be late. Blondie started very promptly at 7, while I was still on line for my airpanada.

#2748 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:45 PM

Significant Eater and I had taken a little road trip to see the 2 shows prior to the one last night in Forest Hills (and we did get to hear Mystery Dance at one of them), but it's been a while since Oliver's Army has been played, and maybe even longer for anything from the album Almost Blue, though the song Almost Blue makes appearances occasionally.

Last night we stayed closer to home for a Remembering Lou Reed show, one of the final shows at City Winery before the wrecking ball comes-a-crashing.  The band was Tony Shanahan, Lenny Kaye, Dennis Diken from the Smithereens on drums. Featured performers, each doing 2 or 3 or 4 songs, included Patti Smith (an incendiary version of Heroin was a highlight), Marshall Krenshaw, Suzanne Vega, Craig Finn, David Johansen, and a few others. It was great, especially hearing those Lou Reed lyrics nice and clearly.

I think the new City Winery venue is gonna be great; better sound system (according to Dorf), and sitting on the Hudson with views - how bad could that be?

2f4bGy1.jpg?2

#2749 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:52 PM

I'll add that the co-headlining thing (I get it, it's summer, outdoor venues, etc. etc.) fucking annoys me.  EC's sets tend to be much longer than what you got at Forest Hills, and at all of these shows with Blondie. So - when he tours in the fall, if you're up for it, go see one of those shows. The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester is a great venue, and the Metro North stop is 3 blocks away.

#2750 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:00 PM

We were trying to get more bang for the buck, and the travel to Forest Hills, and also to check Blondie off the "need to see" list  I lived in Chelsea when Debbie Harry lived in London Terrace (maybe she still does), so I saw HER all the time, walking around, but that doesn't really count. Thanks for the heads up about the Elvis Costello fall dates.

#2751 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:50 PM

I have no choice but to mention I saw Blondie play shows in the UK in 1978, and hung out with them after their Glasgow show.

Oh let’s go all in, I first saw Elvis Costello at a secret Christmas gig (1977) at the Nashville pub in London, and my review is still discoverable online (it focuses, and I have no regrets, more on the support band).

#2752 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:55 PM

Joe, the Lou Reed line-up looked great.

#2753 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:34 PM

I first saw Blondie in it must have been 1976 if it wasn’t 1975. Elvis C in 1977.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2754 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:05 AM

I would have seen Blondie earlier, had I been in New York. 🧐

#2755 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,760 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:29 AM

And I NEVER saw the Sex Pistols.

Or Wire.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2756 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:08 PM

I have no choice but to mention I saw Blondie play shows in the UK in 1978, and hung out with them after their Glasgow show.

Oh let’s go all in, I first saw Elvis Costello at a secret Christmas gig (1977) at the Nashville pub in London, and my review is still discoverable online (it focuses, and I have no regrets, more on the support band).

Is this true confessions?  Wasn't that place called the Nashville Room? They played there a lot! And I'm pretty sure a decent bootleg of the show you refer to exists; I may even have one somewhere in the depths. After your review, did Jake revoke your press credentials? (I'd love to read that; what nom-de-plume were you writing under?)

My problem with 1977 was that I lived nowhere near where they played on that first tour or two. So mid '78 was when I first encountered them live, including at the infamous Santa Monica Civic gig.

Joe, the Lou Reed line-up looked great.

Yeah, it really was.  Also, as much as I love Lou, let's just say he wasn't the greatest singer. So hearing all these other people sing his songs was quite lovely. Michael Dorf talked a little before the show began, reminiscing about Lou and how he loved the original Knitting Factory on Houston and then loved it when they moved to Leonard St. I loved that club too, all tiny and hot and sweaty but with a nice sound system, and was fortunate to see Lou there a time or two.

ETA:   Ah, here you go...http://www.elviscost...January_7,_1978

#2757 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:51 AM

Blondie and Elvis Costello at Forest Hills Stadium. Elvis Costello rocked the house. Great band (especially the backup singers), well-thought-out succession of songs, excellent - if a little distracting - video presentation. I was disappointed not to hear anything from Almost Blue, or Mystery Dance, or Oliver's Army, but you can't have everything. And...it was nice to hear live versions of The Tide is High and Dreaming.

A word to the wise - the food court there sucks. I remember it being sort of passable last time I went (for Pink Martini in 2015), but your options these days are floppy pizza, greasy fish tacos, and (my choice) empanadas filled mostly with air. Eat first. Also drink first, 'cause a can of Heineken is $11, and that's your least expensive option. And don't be late. Blondie started very promptly at 7, while I was still on line for my airpanada.

We were at the show as well. It was a fun show - gorgeous night. Yes - very concise. Spouse commented the last time he went to show with that little chatter was The Ramones. 

Future Legacy Participant.

#2758 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

We were at the show as well. It was a fun show - gorgeous night. Yes - very concise. Spouse commented the last time he went to show with that little chatter was The Ramones. 

Once again, I point you to the fall shows at Port Chester. EC loves to talk, cause he's a major ham, but also knows that with exactly 90 minutes, not much time for jokes (which is OK, cause I've heard the jokes more than once!).  

I still wanna hear more about Wilf being on that damn bus! And what a douche Jake was, though he paid a good friend of mine $100 for a picture of Nick that was used as the 45 sleeve for one of his singles!

#2759 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

Robert Randolph and the Family Band-  Like a party in a church. Always fun.

Upcoming:

My Morning Jacket

Thievery Corporation

Westport BBQ and Blues Festival with Neville-Jacobs, Southern Avenue, Anders Osborne (w/full band) and Flow Tribe

Maggie Koerner at Mercury Lounge- She is a must see. Here is what the NY Times said about her from their piece on the 13 best sets at this year's Jazzfest:

Maggie Koerner

Troubled thoughts smolder and then sear in Maggie Koerner’s music. She sang for a year with the New Orleans band Galactic, but her own songs aren’t party funk. They’re roots-rock kin to Adele or Stevie Nicks: soul-infused rockers that move in dramatic crescendos through pain, anger and resolve.

At least a few of the Robert Glasper shows at the Blue Note in October

Elvis C at the Cap in October.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2760 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:04 PM

Huh. I thought there was a "regular" amount of chatter - we learned about the upcoming Broadway show, etc.. and Debbie Harry provided a fair amount of commentary. Which is not the same thing as spontaneity, of which there was none. But maybe that's our modern world - no more freewheeling shows.