#2762 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:31 AM

Missed Joe’s post.

It was called the Nashville Rooms (not Room) but everyone called it the Nashville. I wrote the review under my real name, because I was invited as press.

I remain proud that my review highlighted the support set by The Pop Group, because fine as EC was, they represented a very important future for music, dub to dubstep to mixing rock and dance and free jazz.

Not sure about the “bus” question, but happy to share more stories. ETA, I dealt with Paul, not Jake, in the Stiff days.

@Sneak I didn’t see the Pistols back then (saw them at Finsbury Park, which is a whole other story about long distance flights and food poisoning). They were very, very hard to see; but nobody saw that coming. Two of my friends went to see them at the 100 Club, I couldn’t be bothered because it was a reasonable assumption they’d be playing in clubs every week.

Then Grundy happened.

#2763 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,469 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

Missed Joe’s post.

It was called the Nashville Rooms (not Room) but everyone called it the Nashville. I wrote the review under my real name, because I was invited as press.

I remain proud that my review highlighted the support set by The Pop Group, because fine as EC was, they represented a very important future for music, dub to dubstep to mixing rock and dance and free jazz.

Not sure about the “bus” question, but happy to share more stories. ETA, I dealt with Paul, not Jake, in the Stiff days.

Ahhh, I was a little confused; thought you might have been traveling along with that Stiffs' tour.  

I'm guessing Paul was easier to interact with than Jake, who even from some minimal experiences with him around (backstage at shows, whatever), could be, shall we say, less than friendly. 

#2764 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:39 PM

Paul was a very nice guy, even if he was a little too amused when I showed up at a party with a black eye, having been beaten up by some bikers ("Ah, somebody hit you at last").

I went to a number of Stiff Test-Chiswick Challenge tour dates, if that's what you're thinking of, but I was never on the bus. I did see video from the bus; it was...lively.

#2765 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,469 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

Very cool - thanks for sharing. 

Was Chalkie around in those days?

#2766 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 05:50 PM

Yes, we were both doing things for the NME.  Thing is, writers and photographers didn't generally work together.  I didn't see the photos for my stories before they were published.  So I really only ran into Chalkie by chance, or at social events (neither of us worked out of the main office; at least, I don't think he did).

I checked in with him on Instagram after you tipped me off.

#2767 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,469 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:44 PM

Still doing good work. 

Along with his classics.

#2768 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:18 PM

You now have me curious which of my stories has photographs by Chalkie.  Maybe I'll dig out the archive.  

#2769 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,004 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:34 AM

Sometimes you can glean more from a new experience than revisiting an old one.  Earlier this week, through a series of events that don't need repeating, I saw Jill Scott for the first time at the Microsoft Theatre.  To say she is a presence is an understatement.  She has a strong voice and a very strong band of 7 and three male backup singers ("The Pipes").  She does not just deliver a song in the conventional verse chorus verse fashion.  Rather, much to her longtime fans' delight, she begins with a monologue (often referring to relationship issues, love, sex, infidelity, etc.) then starts a song which is interrupted by more monologue (often blue) then concludes the song but with a monologue coda (basically, men can be problems, but sex is often the answer, but not perfunctory sex rather good sex, and respect is good and necessary).  Well, I get it; she has been divorced three times (I think) and had other relationships come and go.  But again, she can really belt it out when she wants to, which she wants to and does.  After one number, she discards her heels and performs most of the rest of the set barefoot on a Persian rug.

Meanwhile, she is clad in an elaborate looking pantsuit which is shrouded in a beautiful kimino yet somehow her outsized cleavage is available.  Her hair is an amazing assemblage of braids surmounted by large crocheted braids standing 7-8 inches above her scalp (how long does this take to create?  don't ask).  If the term 'diva' did not exist, she would have created it.

The opener was Tank who seemed rather one dimensional.  Keeping with the sexual theme of the evening, he took off his very nice shirt after one number displaying an incredible set of abs which pulsed thoughout the remainder of the set.  My companion suggested that these might be fake which I suppose is possible.  He seemed proud of them regardless.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2770 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,420 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:39 AM

My Morning Jacket playing the entire Tennessee Fire album. Best touring live band. Go see them tomorrow night in Forest Hills.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2771 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:57 AM

finally saw bell witch after missing the last three nyc area shows for various reasons. they played a new song that sounds more like mirror reaper than their previous stuff and it really blew me away even though the previous drummer was a better vocalist.

they were opening for neurosis, who were fine but the good really is the enemy of the great and their sound, which I really liked at one point, isn’t aging well, which is maybe unfair to a 30+ year old band.

#2772 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

MC50 at LPR, which is the MC5 touring on the 50th anniversary of the release of Kick Out the Jams. Or rather Wayne Kramer with a killer back-up band from Soundgarden and Faith No More, plus a singer who is honestly rather better than Rob Tyner, Marcus Durant.

Rather than just playing the album through, which is what I expected, it was a full set with songs from all three albums, perfectly ordered. Rambling Rose through to Looking at You as the third encore.

The audience? All the Old Punks.

Charmed to catch up with Mr Manitoba before the show started, and commiserate with him on the closure of the bar.

#2773 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:54 AM

I thought about going to that show.

joanna newsome.

#2774 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,420 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:44 PM

Back to back to back shows coming up:

Black Pumas (Will report to Hollywood how this band is live)

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

John Medeski's Mad Skillet

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2775 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,004 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:26 PM

Back to back to back shows coming up:

Black Pumas (Will report to Hollywood how this band is live)

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

John Medeski's Mad Skillet

Thanks.  I'll be seeing the band on Oct. 24.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought