2770 replies to this topic

#16 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:53 PM

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved another hour or two. They are touring the new album, One Soul Now, which is as good as any they've done. They didn't have time to play many of their standards, but they did play some covers I hadn't heard before, such as Robert Johnson's "32-20".
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#17 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:03 PM

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved another hour or two. They are touring the new album, One Soul Now, which is as good as any they've done. They didn't have time to play many of their standards, but they did play some covers I hadn't heard before, such as Robert Johnson's "32-20".

I trust Ms. Timmons was in good voice.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#18 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:11 PM

As ever. She doesn't have any dramatic range or repertoire of clever vocal tricks, but her natural voice has a wonderful richness. Like honey.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#19 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:24 PM

Like honey.

Ah, Sweet Jane.

Then that happened.

#20 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:36 PM

That's one they didn't have time for, but the encore was an acoustic version of "Misguided Angel" with just Margo and Michael. :)
Elect-a-lujah

#21 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:58 PM

Recent set list from setlist.com. Sound somewhat familiar?

05/27/04 (Thu) Revival - Toronto, ON

Set 1: Anniversary Song, Black Eyed Man, Cold Tea Blues, To Live Is To Fly, Darkling Days, Small Swift Birds, The Slide

Set 2: These Final Feet, One Soul Now, To Lay Me Down*, Oregon Hill, Stars of Our Stars, Simon Keeper, 32:20, My Wild Child, Mariner's Song, He Will Call You Baby, Crescent Moon, E: Isn't it a Pity*, Lungs, Cheap is How I Feel

Comment: *first time played, first set was Folk Fusion Quartet. Anniversary Song was only Mike and Margo

Then that happened.

#22 Guest_Adam Lawrence_*

Guest_Adam Lawrence_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:51 AM

Tim Booth (late of James) and his new band - The Individuals - last night at the Zodiac in Oxford. I was a massive James fan for about fifteen years. Fun show, tiny club, Booth on good form, new album sounds pretty interesting (must buy it). Couple of old James tunes - I don't think it was coincidental that they were both from 'Laid', finished with a cover of What Goes On. Several numbers from the Booth and the Bad Angel album he made a few years back with Angelo Badalementi. Band terrific; guitarist Lee Baker (who looks a lot like a young Johnny Marr) played a solo set to open, which was interesting in a Jeff Buckley kinda way. Worth seeing. He's in London tonight and Birmingham on Friday I think.

#23 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:40 PM

James completely passed me by. I looked them up on iTunes and later bought The best of. My, they are good!
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#24 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:51 PM

Am I getting James confused with another band? The name brings to mind that really annoying "Sit Down" song. "Oh sit down, oh sit down..." I'm fine standing, thanks.

P'raps it wasn't them.
Elect-a-lujah

#25 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:12 PM

That's them.

[Added: Not my fave song at this point. A bit Proclaimerish.]
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#26 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:30 AM

That's them.

[Added: Not my fave song at this point. A bit Proclaimerish.]

Not that that's a bad thing.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#27 Guest_Adam Lawrence_*

Guest_Adam Lawrence_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2004 - 07:19 AM

Am I getting James confused with another band? The name brings to mind that really annoying "Sit Down" song. "Oh sit down, oh sit down..." I'm fine standing, thanks.

P'raps it wasn't them.

A completist speaks: Sit Down was great in the original Rough Trade recording, which flopped. A couple of years later, having had a few smallish hits they rerecorded it, it was prevented from being number one by Chesney Hawkes :ph43r: I don't like the hit version, it's very leaden and clodhopping.

#28 Elissa

Elissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 04:42 PM

After a lovely dinner last night at the Johnsons' I ventured over to the Village Vanguard, where I caught the last few tunes of trumpet player Jeremy Pelt's quintet. He has Greg Tardy on sax, Stephen Scott on piano, Vicente Archer on bass and Kenny Washington-d. Nice to see Kenny, aka DJ The Jazz Maniac, who doesn't play around that much these days.

Then I went over to Fat Cat, where my friend Jason Lindner's Big Band has played every Thursday for about a decade. Sounded great, as only a band with that much experience playing together can. John Benitez plays bass in this band (and often with Jason in Claudia Acuna's band as well) and lends the music his deep latin groove and wildly creative take on time and syncopation. Last night's big band had 10 players, including Myron Waldon on alto and Jay Collins on tenor sax. Jay, who also played flutes and soprano, sang one of his own tunes too. His voice has hugely improved over the last few years since he began singing and I'm looking forward to his new cd, chock full of his bluesy Dr. John-meets-Pharoah Sanders funk. Jay's a terribly versatile bloke: perhaps you have heard him with Andrew Hill, the Allman brothers or Bobby Sanabria.
i find it wildly amusing because i'm mildly drunk. -helena

#29 Elissa

Elissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:00 PM

Very cool gig tonight for those who like dancing and music that encourages it: a number of the city's best DJs and a few actual bands (including Jeff Buckley's) converge on a Concert for Kerry.

I'm a bit conflicted though as Jay Collins has a birthday gig...
i find it wildly amusing because i'm mildly drunk. -helena

#30 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:10 PM

Incredible line-up for a Randall's Island concert on August 14. Would require some energy on my part, though:

LITTLE STEVEN'S INTERNATIONAL UNDERGROUND GARAGE FESTIVAL ANNOUNCED
Confirmed to appear:

Iggy Pop & The Stooges
The New York Dolls
The Strokes
Davie Allan and the Arrows
The Pete Best Band
Big Star
The Boss Martians
The Caesars
The Chains
The Charms
The Chesterfield Kings
The Chocolate Watchband
The Cocktail Slippers
The Contrast
The Creation
The Cynics
The D4
The Dictators
Bo Diddley
The Electric Prunes
The Flaming Sideburns
The Fleshtones
The Fondas
The Forty-Fives
The Fuzztones
The Gore Gore Girls
The High Dials
Jarvis Humby
Lyres
The Mooney Suzuki
The Paybacks
The Pretty Things
The Raveonettes
The Romantics
The Shazam
Nancy Sinatra
The Singles
The Star Spangles
The Stems
The Swingin' Neckbreakers
The Woggles

Er....Nancy Sinatra??? :blink:
Elect-a-lujah