Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 02:04 AM

debut post on MF

Nice to see you here, Paul.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#17 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:13 PM

Are the ramps out yet?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#18 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:19 PM

They're still buried underneath the snow and bear piss.

Ah, springtime.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#19 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:31 PM

And how about shad roe? Too late?

Probably completely out of season, but recently i finally succeeded to find some cavolo nero at my local greenmarket: cooked simply ala River Cafe - blanched, whizzed sortly in the food processor with a bit of garlic, a splash of good EVOO, red pepper flakes on top of Latini orecchiette: excellent.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#20 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:33 PM

Oh I haven't missed the shad roe, have I? Never used to happen when I lived around the corner from a fishmonger.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#21 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:41 PM

Didn't see it at the greenmarket last week, but shad roe is still available at wild edibles.

I've taken to half curing it in salt, then cooking to medium rare and serving in a vietnamese roll or on toast with lemon aioli.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#22 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:48 PM

No shad yet. (And to confirm: Cato Corner does not have a cheese called Stinking Bishop. Lots of other lovely cheeses though. )
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#23 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:49 PM

What's it called, Liza? Stinking something else? Or something else Bishop? Are they there today? If so, I'll go and figure out how I got confused and what it is I had that I loved so much.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#24 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:57 PM

Smelly archdeacon? Ponging pope?

Edit to add: Joking aside, they appear to make something called Stinky Hooligan.
Elect-a-lujah

#25 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:39 PM

Okay so I bought the cheese yesterday at Cato, and now I can't remember the name.

Abby?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#26 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:43 PM

Wishy washy morning?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#27 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:03 PM

Oy.

#28 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:04 PM

I'm serious. Wasn't morning in the name of it?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#29 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:06 PM

Someone could ask them.
Elect-a-lujah

#30 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:06 PM

Yes I think something with Morning.... but certainly not wishy washy :wacko: