Photo

Depressing stuff

• Please log in to reply
3278 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Suzanne F_*

Guest_Suzanne F_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:59 PM

There's a whole book of that stuff by college :D students. And indeed, should one laugh or cry? :)

#17 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:00 PM

Four different answers from four different kids. All seniors in high school (at the end of senior year).

These students have taken history as a high school subject. If they were paying attention, and there was a section on WWII and its aftermath, no reason why they shouldn't know about reparations.

I still don't see what point is being made. That there are some high school students who don't pay attention in class (if they even show up)?
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#18 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:00 PM

This was a public high school?

Not in my case, but my friends in public schools had similar requirements if they were in the academic (vs trade) program. I don't recall essay writing as unusual in the late 1960s. It's likely that the time taken to review and grade those papers would be considered excessive for a teacher today

I'll ask the neighbor kids when I walk Simon this afternoon. My guess is they rarely write precis, abstract, essay, or similar forms.

Orik, point well taken. I had the Audi in for service yesterday, and noticed the dealership's basic labor rate is now $105 per hour. So, an auto mechanic or plumber should have a knowledge of basic math, or at least an $8 calculator to figure the bill.

Edted for clarity (yeah, I know :) )

Edited by Rail Paul, 23 June 2005 - 07:57 PM.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#19 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:05 PM

Four different answers from four different kids.  All seniors in high school (at the end of senior year).

These students have taken history as a high school subject.  If they were paying attention, and there was a section on WWII and its aftermath, no reason why they shouldn't know about reparations.

I still don't see what point is being made. That there are some high school students who don't pay attention in class (if they even show up)?

Wilf was surprised that the kid would know about war reparations. I was just pointing out that these are high school kids who have taken history, so if they were paying attention they might very well know about war reparations if there was indeed a section on WWII and Germany in the class.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#20 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:14 PM

But the fact that there are some kids who don't pay attention (or maybe are just not too bright) means nothing at all about the state of the system.

Orik, point well taken. I had the Audi in for service yesterday, and noticed the dealership's basic labor rate is now $105 per hour. So, an auto mechanic or plumber should have a knowledge of basic math, or at least an $8 calculator to figure the bill.

They could always outsource billing to India.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#21 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

But the fact that there are some kids who don't pay attention (or maybe are just not too bright) means nothing at all about the state of the system.

I know that - that's not the point. I was just telling Wilf that they took history class and that there's no reason for them not to know about reparations, assuming they were paying attention in class and that reparations were covered in the course material.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#22 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

Did anyone spell "tangential" as "tangenital"?
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#23 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:31 PM

I cannot stand that. I call to talk about a question about my bill (can be various companies) and the person on the other end obviously can only respond based on a script and is many thousands of miles away. It just makes me go ballistic. I start to shriek "I want to speak to someone who isn't halfway around the world!".

When 411 gives me a machine, I just repeat over and over "I want to speak to a human, I want to speak to a human".

If you'all think you've seen me lose it, you haven't really.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#24 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,759 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:32 PM

removed redundancy

Edited by mongo_jones, 23 June 2005 - 07:33 PM.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#25 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

G-O-D-F-O-R-B-I-D :)

#26 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:34 PM

Aren't students getting brighter over time? IQ, SAT etc scores are going up with each generation?

Some university profs argue, when charged with inflating grades, that maybe a little of that is happening, but students are much better than they used to be.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#27 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:34 PM

G-O-D-F-O-R-B-I-D :)

:D
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#28 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:39 PM

Aren't students getting brighter over time? IQ, SAT etc scores are going up with each generation?

The Flynn effect.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#29 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,759 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:39 PM

I cannot stand that. I call to talk about a question about my bill (can be various companies) and the person on the other end obviously can only respond based on a script and is many thousands of miles away. It just makes me go ballistic. I start to shriek "I want to speak to someone who isn't halfway around the world!".

When 411 gives me a machine, I just repeat over and over "I want to speak to a human, I want to speak to a human".

you do realize that distance and location has no bearing on their ability to solve your problems? my worst customer-service experiences have been on the phone with best buy etc. reps located not very far away from me.

re. omni's original post: yes, there are some amusing typos etc. but also what seems to me to be quite clever ways to attempt to fill in gaps in memory. in short, i am agreeing with yvonne, orik and wilf's takes on this. far smarter people than these kids, including some who write for the new york times and mouthfuls, don't have a much better grasp of indian history. how many of you insist on spelling gandhi as ghandi, for example?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#30 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:41 PM

Aren't you the guy who doesn't care about spelling and grammar in your college students' papers?