3270 replies to this topic

#31 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:42 PM

you do realize that distance and location has no bearing on their ability to solve your problems? my worst customer-service experiences have been on the phone with best buy etc. reps located not very far away from me.

That's inaccurate. For example, HP tried to send me a package to "Grand Central, NY", because the person on the other end of the line got that city name based on the zip code and insisted that he cannot use New York as the city name. I imagine local reps would be slightly more clued in. Cultural context is hard to fake and it comes in handy even in trivial situations.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#32 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:45 PM

Aren't you the guy who doesn't care about spelling and grammar in your college students' papers?

not as much as you don't care for reading carefully apparently. this also hurts my students' grades a lot.

i don't care about spelling and grammar as much as i care about an intelligent argument.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#33 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:46 PM

Aren't you the guy who doesn't care about spelling and grammar in your college students' papers?

no
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#34 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:47 PM

you do realize that distance and location has no bearing on their ability to solve your problems?

Yes it does. There's no guarantee in any situation that the help you need will be available but in many instances where a detailed explanation is necessary in order to understand the problem, it is necessary that the person on the other end has participated in your culture in order to comprehend the subtleties of the story.

In general, yes it does have a bearing.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#35 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:47 PM

You're a guy, Yvonne?

#36 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:49 PM

you do realize that distance and location has no bearing on their ability to solve your problems? my worst customer-service experiences have been on the phone with best buy etc. reps located not very far away from me.

That's inaccurate. For example, HP tried to send me a package to "Grand Central, NY", because the person on the other end of the line got that city name based on the zip code and insisted that he cannot use New York as the city name. I imagine local reps would be slightly more clued in. Cultural context is hard to fake and it comes in handy even in trivial situations.

in some cases, sure. but i'd rather talk to a geographically clueless c.s person in another country than to a convict in utah. i have to say, however, that the bulk of my customer service problems have to do with the fact that customer service policies seem to have been written by someone's who's read too much kafka.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#37 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:49 PM

And I'm black. Or at least some think I am.

#38 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:50 PM

that's only because you married a welshman.

~homer simpson

#39 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:50 PM

I wanted to write that but I was afraid. :)
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#40 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:51 PM

you do realize that distance and location has no bearing on their ability to solve your problems?

Yes it does. There's no guarantee in any situation that the help you need will be available but in many instances where a detailed explanation is necessary in order to understand the problem, it is necessary that the person on the other end has participated in your culture in order to comprehend the subtleties of the story.

In general, yes it does have a bearing.

you're telling these people stories?

~homer simpson

#41 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:52 PM

Okay back to the thread...

What do you find depressing these days, pray tell?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#42 MyKong

MyKong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:54 PM

Families eating fast food on the subway, crowded and in great haste. So many reasons.

Bone skinny immigrants on the subway

that people care more about Paris Lohan than Iraq
"I remembered the old joke that defines eternity as two people and a whole ham." Maurice Naughton

#43 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:54 PM

What's do you find depressing, pray tell?

Education today. :)

#44 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:55 PM

Okay back to the thread...

What's do you find depressing, pray tell?

me?

seemingly intelligent people's inability to read carefully or in good faith is one. but the things that depress me enough to mention are either outside mouthfuls guidelines or too personal/private. they're not trivial though.

Edited by mongo_jones, 23 June 2005 - 07:56 PM.

~homer simpson

#45 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:56 PM

seeming intelligent people's

Ah, there's where you're wrong. :)
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid