94 replies to this topic

#16 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 06:50 PM

Not a very successful trip so far (BLT excluded) then?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#17 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:35 PM

au contraire

It has been a great week so far. Food wise, hit and miss, but I have had chance to catch up with loads of people from the boards and business is good.

#18 Chocolate is a girls best friend

Chocolate is a girls best friend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:03 PM

I would certainly recommend the burger as the best reason to go to dB.

I had the DB burger about 3 years ago, ( sans truffles) and though it was very good, i didnt think that it was really worth it. I didnt care for the space either, though the puffy pomme frites were pretty damn cool. The desserts were less than thrilling too,,,,,,,, oh well.
"One can live without artists, and can live without books

but civilized man can not live without cooks," anonymous

#19 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:43 PM

I have always found the greeters at dB to be exceptionally sweet and charming; service at table, compensatingly grim.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#20 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:12 PM

Silly question, but how does one eat this beast? From the pics I've seen, it looks like a real mouth stretcher. Are we talking fork and knife here or do folks just cram it down?
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#21 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:17 PM

It comes sliced in two, and I admit to using my hands. There are many jaw stretching experiences to be had in New York (especially in relation to food), so I must be in good training.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#22 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:22 PM

Silly question, but how does one eat this beast? From the pics I've seen, it looks like a real mouth stretcher. Are we talking fork and knife here or do folks just cram it down?

The burger probably stands perhaps five inches high. From the plate to the top of the roll. It's delivered sliced, vertically, so you can ooh and aaah over the strata of ingredients.

Some judicious compression of the roll might be in order to consume it. I recall several people were using knives and forks, while others used one or two fisted approaches
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#23 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:50 PM

Egad.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#24 Chocolate is a girls best friend

Chocolate is a girls best friend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:08 PM

It comes sliced in two, and I admit to using my hands. There are many jaw stretching experiences to be had in New York (especially in relation to food), so I must be in good training.

foie gras or no foie gra-s`its a F$&$** hamburger,hell yeah i used my hands!
"One can live without artists, and can live without books

but civilized man can not live without cooks," anonymous

#25 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:11 PM

Here's the culprit, wearing an especially large foie gras filling especially for the photograph.

Smile please.
Elect-a-lujah

#26 pixelchef

pixelchef

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:23 PM

And another.

#27 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:22 PM

And the good new is that it's still good. Just ate my first dB burger in about a year, and did not disappoint. Medium rare , as requested, beefy in flavor, and with a very generous chunk of foie in the center. I had also forgotten how well the parmesan flavor comes through from the roll. Whny is that I always get such sweet service in the bar here, yet seem to end up in a battle with my server if I get a table? One gripe: the frites were bizarry short. Almost all of them less than an inch long, a bit like the little pieces you might expect to find at the bottom of a portion. Hard to eat.

But this is a world-class snack. :)
Elect-a-lujah

#28 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:43 PM

But is it junk food? :P
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#29 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:44 PM

If you ate it in the street, yes. But at a marble-topped bar? :D
Elect-a-lujah

#30 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

Wilfrid -- Could you please elaborate on why you chose fries, instead of asking for pommes souffles (which, at least as of last year, were available upon request with the non-fresh-black-truffle burger)? ;)