94 replies to this topic

#31 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:47 PM

Dude, you should see some of these shmancy falafel joints lining the streets in Tel Aviv... :lol: :rolleyes: ;)
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#32 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:48 PM

I don't much like pommes soufflees in general, and I had a serving at dB once which was oily and disagreeable. Since then, I've always asked for fries.

The cabernet by the glass was enjoyable too. Incidentally, there's a seasonal asparagus and morel section on the menu, which almost tempted me to give them another chance to serve a meal correctly. :o
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#33 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:17 PM

Does anyone know if they'll be repeating the extra truffle burger in season?
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#34 SamanthaF

SamanthaF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:04 AM

Does this place need to be booked for a Monday evening?
Okay, they can tell me "miso butterscotch" until the cows come home, but I say it's toffee and I say the hell with it. This is the goo an eight year-old wants to find in the middle of a candy bar. No adult in their senses wants it creeping up on their pig parts.
Wilfrid at The Pink Pig.

"I'm lost. You shat on the cum-carpet, or you came on the shit-carpet?" - The Wonderful LML 5th Feb, 2008.

"God bless those fucking guidelines. Where would we be without them?" - Stone March 2008

#35 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:40 AM

Yes. Among other things, it is close to the Theater district.

However, even if you do not book, there are two tables d'hotes that do not take reservations. There are perhaps 6-9 seats at each such table. You could wait at these tables even if they do not have seats immediately available.

#36 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 03:17 PM

These communal tables are also comfortable enough to dine at, if you don't have a reservation. I agree with Cabby that you should book if you want a table to yourselves. Mind you, I wouldn't particularly recommend it for dinner anyway. It's a good place for an elaborate burger.
Elect-a-lujah

#37 ginger milk

ginger milk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 03:56 PM

It's a good place for an elaborate burger.

That's the plan, but we can only fit it in Monday night :D

#38 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,671 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 03:59 PM

It's a good place for an elaborate burger.

That's the plan, but we can only fit it in Monday night :D

Most theaters are closed on Monday nights--that might make it a lot easier for you to book.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#39 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:14 PM

Putting myself outside a pre-theater burger last night, I noticed that Sunday evenings currently feature specialities from Alsace with appropriate wines; baeckoffe d'escargots, for example. Might be interesting.
Elect-a-lujah

#40 ampletuna

ampletuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:42 PM

do you think it will be busy here on a Sunday evening, do I need to book up well in advance?
Yes, I would not recommend smell, touch or taste when it comes to old cock selection. Opinions differ though. Adam 2/3/05

#41 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:37 PM

do you think it will be busy here on a Sunday evening, do I need to book up well in advance?

I checked the OpenTable reservations service. db has space available for 2 and 4 people on the next several Sunday evenings.

Online reservations at db are only available 28 days in advance, but you may call for reservations for dates farther out
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#42 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:09 PM

I left with hearty wave and handshake from the staff who had all become firm friends by this time and promised to visit me in London ( actually, I slucnk out without so much as a goodbye from the primarily french waitstaff who were hunkering down with those who looked like they might be spending more money )

oh yes. my experience exactly. I have never been so thoroughly ignored in a restaurant in my life. Had the burger for lunch, with fries, followed by a chocolate clafoutis with whiskey ice cream and an espresso.

I pretty much second slapsie maxie's opinion- the burger was good, not great. The roll it was on was excellent. The fries were fine. (I like McD better! :( ) The clafoutis was very good, but the whiskey ice cream did not taste like whiskey. The original desert came with vanilla ice cream but I had substituted, and I had to ask if they had brought the right one. It tasted faintly alchoholic, but very sweet.

Throughout the meal I had to ask for EVERYTHING. This despite being in a hallway where I was surrounded by waitstaff when they were not helping other tables, and the place was not very busy. I had to ask them to remove my plate after sitting back in my chair and not touching it for 15 minutes. After picking up my empty glass in front of 3 talking waiters, looking at it, sighing loudly, and putting it back down I had to ask them to replenish my water. (That was a little immature, I admit, but I wanted to know if I actually had to grab at the arm of someone passing by to get something to drink, and yes, in fact, I did.) I waited at the host station for 5 minutes before I could get someone to take my coat check ticket.

It was a rather frustrating hour and a half (by myself! for a burger and a chocolate cake!).

#43 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:14 PM

Not for the first time, a somewhat uneven experience at dB last night, grabbing an unplanned dinner in the bar: the communal tables really are very comfortable, but I wonder how people would find space for their plates on the little two seater tables against the far wall.

The plat du jour was finished already - and this was only 8.30. Who knew choucroute was so popular? The red wine we ordered was unavailable too. We battled on, and obtained two disappointing lobster appetizers. The tail meat in the salad was tough (the small piece of clawmeat was okay); the bisque was nothing special, and the kitchen had gone to the considerable trouble of garnishing it with a little green "tarragon" flan which tasted of nothing whatsoever, least of all tarragon, which is not exactly a shy flavor.

I was tempted by the baeckoffe of snails, but we are planning to try the full Sunday Alsatian menu soon - a steal at $41 for three courses - so I held off.

Entrees were better, especially a paleron of beef braised in red wine with good parsley mash. The blanquette de veau was just not quite as good as the version served at La Grenouille - veal is a hard meat to handle when braising, as we discovered when everywhere started servingveal breast last winter - and this was drier and chewier than it should have been. The flavor was fine, and I liked the little pilaff of long-grain rice served in a little casserole on the side.

No space for dessert, although it would have been interesting to see which of the cheeses were not available. I must say service was utterly sweet and charming - I have always found it to be so in the bar, and the maitre d' (formerly at Picholine) is very loveable (his striking resemblance to George, as in Gilbert & George, appeals to me).
Elect-a-lujah

#44 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:14 PM

A group of MFers went to DB on Sunday night. (It might never have happened. We got a call from the restaurant and hour and a half before the time of our reservation saying that there was a water mains break affecting the whole block and the restaurant had no operational restrooms. All was sorted out by the time we got there.)

First mention: The Original DB Burger Sirloin Burger Filled with Braised Short Ribs, Foie Gras & Black Truffles. Served on a Parmesan Bun & with Pommes Frites. I believe this deserves the FMJD status. I think it was the best burger I've ever eaten. The layer of short ribs in the center adds a wonderful juiciness. I saw some foie gras but didn't think it was detectable on eating (same can be said for black truffles). Not in the description on the menu but in the dish: under the burger a thin slice of cooked (roasted?) red pepper and on top of the meat a terrific coleslaw--just a little cabbage in vinegar, I think. Good bun and the hint of Parmesan added yet one more taste. The combination of all ingredients really took off. The fries that came in a silver cone were some of the best I've had in NY. I'll be back for this dish.

Not so hot was my appetizer: Lobster Salad with Mesclun, Endive, Pears, Celery Root and Hazelnut Dressing. The lobster was mushy and the dressing had, for me, a sour, unpleasant taste.

Tried a spoonful of the "Clafoutis Tout Chocolat" which had the texture of all chocolate souffle type desserts all over town, and everyone who sampled this said it was nothing like a Clafoutis. More successful was the pear tart.

It was Alsatian night and a few went for that menu. I'll leave from them to chime in.

It was a very enjoyable evening (included my first jaunt to Jimmy’s Corner where we met up) and it was great pleasure to meet Ampletuna and Mr Ampletuna.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#45 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:45 PM

First mention: The Original DB Burger Sirloin Burger Filled with Braised Short Ribs, Foie Gras & Black Truffles. Served on a Parmesan Bun & with Pommes Frites. I believe this deserves the FMJD status. I think it was the best burger I've ever eaten.

Like the little girl with the curl, when the db Burger is good, it's very good...
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.