32 replies to this topic

#16 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,451 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:09 PM

Yes and I'm happy to report that I resisted.

#17 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:05 AM

i absolutely LOVE vintage. sometimes their stuff is very fresh and sometimes not though.

man, i need a headache

#18 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:23 AM

We spent a happy evening on the boardwalk at Tatiana...brought our own wine and had some good simple fish apps. and fried potatoes,then strolled the beach and boardwalk-the closest equivalent to the European passagiatta that I've experienced in NYC.Quiet relaxed stroll along the shore,ankles in the water,and then on to the Cyclone -the equivalent of a strong espresso after yer meal....Great fun.
Stung by Nettles

#19 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:17 PM

And, if you had done this yesterday evening, you would have passed the bandshell by the aquarium where Liza Minelli was performing. Unfortunately, we missed it too. Must have been quite a scene.

This space available… contact owner.

#20 banh cuon

banh cuon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:07 PM

Went to Brighton Beach today and looked in and M and I. The place is overwhelming, as described, but I liked two smaller nearby stores even better. Gold Label seemed a little cleaner and the prepared food looked fresher. Vintage, next door, was even nicer looking. This was a scouting expedition, really, and I bought only dried strawberries and fabulous dried cherries at Vintage. I counted 43 bins of different types of dried fruit.

Thanks for the info on Gold Label and Vintage. I was too awestruck by M&I to venture into any of the other stores, but will certainly next time. Did either store have any particularly enticing smoked fish offerings, or were they mostly focused on prepared foods?

#21 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,451 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:41 PM

They had smoked fish too, although perhaps not in the same quantity or variety.

#22 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:40 AM

We did,in fact,pass by the concert,but had no idea what who or what was going on...and it wouldn't have mattered.The Cyclone was just the ticket;90 seconds of intensive laughing and screaming a good purgative after a very long stressful day in the kitchen.
Stung by Nettles

#23 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

It's easy to forget that there is a real beach in Brooklyn. Last night was a perfect time to remember. I went with some friends to one of those outdoor bars on the boardwalk in Brighton Beach, the Winter Garden, where we watched a gorgeous moon rise over the Atlantic while eating fairly solid fare and drinking Baltikas.

Our meal was fine. The kirby pickles there were excellent, addictive half-sours with some heat thrown in for good measure. They did a nice job with grilled lamb chops, too. Cherry pelmeni tasted like a Dunkin' Donuts jelly doughnut, though of course with different texture. Meat pelmeni were good, borscht was not. Our waitress insisted we order the Chicken Kiev. It was fine, nothing special, but the garlic and dill seasoned fries that came with it were delicious.

We had a good laugh at the expense of our waitress. Well, make that two good laughs. One, her name was "Nastya". We couldn't help ourselves (and she was actually very sweet). Two, when we asked what kind of beer is available, she first responded, "For you, we have nice Heineken or Grolsch." What about nice Russian beer?

Winter Garden, Moscow, and Tatiana were all pretty empty last night. Weekends are another story.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#24 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:51 PM

It's easy to forget that there is a real beach in Brooklyn. Last night was a perfect time to remember. I went with some friends to one of those outdoor bars on the boardwalk in Brighton Beach, the Winter Garden, where we watched a gorgeous moon rise over the Atlantic while eating fairly solid fare and drinking Baltikas.

First of all, if it ever stops raining long enough (it will), we're off to Coney Island tonite for a Cyclone's minor league baseball game. Not Brighton of course, but the same beautiful view with a ballgame attached.

Another Brighton suggestion: we bought a one piece molded plastic table with 4 seats (I think Sharper Image) that folds up into the size of a large briefcase years ago and carry it in our trunk. We have been known (unfortunately not for a couple of years now) to pick up prepared food & wine on Brighton Beach Ave, bring it onto the beach, halfway to the water, unfold, unpack and have dinner. You're correct -- it's a great sunset, moon rise view.

#25 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

khinkali Georgian (soup) dumplings at Primorski Restaurant. they take 30 min. but worth the wait. big spiced balls of meat encased in dough with a little broth as well. served with a sprinkling of black pepper. heavenly.

while you wait, try the jonjoli, a pickled (brined?) plant served with sliced onion - acquired taste & apparently usually consumed with vodka (there is a joke somewhere here) but an interesting taste nevertheless, walnut pate wrapped in eggplant, basturma, khachapuri cheese pie in puff pastry... they have a ridiculous $5.49 two-course lunch of soup (borscht or kharcho with lamb, rice and cilantro). main course options, which are plentiful (more than 10), come with a choice of side as well. impossibly rich mushrooms with sour cream, chicken tabaka, solyanka kupaty georgian sausages... there were tons more but i only remember a few. i believe it's offered from 11am until 4 or 5pm.

the a la carte menu is vast of course. pending further investigation - definitely going back for the khinkali - at lunch, as it one of those places with nightly entertainment.

“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#26 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:06 AM

We had fun exploring the food shops on Brighton Beach Avenue today. The first one we stopped in, at Brighton 2nd (I think), was an upscale little place with an outstanding butcher (Giannone chickens at $2.99/lb, for example). The dairy selection was similarly impressive, including what appeared to be the full line of Tonjes products. I've only seen those at the USGM.

Farther along BBA, at M&I our resident Ukranian was delighted to find her preferred mayonnaise, and S. found more hamantaschen than he's seen anywhere else in recent memory. The cured meat counter seemed endless, ditto the cured fish options. We bought a stuffed chicken neck that I have yet to try.

It's fun shopping out there. The quality of products seemed great, prices are very fair. We'll be back with some regularity I suspect.

"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#27 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

ohhh boy!
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#28 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

I finally visited Brighton Beach (and Coney Island, but I'd been there) and had a blast. We walked the boardwalk and decided to have a multi-course lunch of a Nathan's dog (c'mon, we had to), cherrystone and littleneck clams, fried clams and perfect beers. The raw clams were surprisingly good, the fried clams were just about inedible. Fried within an inch of their life, battered up the wazoo, no bellies, only strips. But eating on the boardwalk, watching All God's Children go by was so much fun.

We sat on the beach until it started bucketing rain and then headed to the Russian markets. Loved those but had some hit or miss items. My favorite by far was the smoked kielbasa, which I think we got from M&I. Not so good were the salads from Gold Label - mushroom pate tasted of nothing.

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#29 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ Jul 9 2009, 10:49 AM) View Post
I finally visited Brighton Beach (and Coney Island, but I'd been there) and had a blast. We walked the boardwalk and decided to have a multi-course lunch of a Nathan's dog (c'mon, we had to), cherrystone and littleneck clams, fried clams and perfect beers. The raw clams were surprisingly good, the fried clams were just about inedible. Fried within an inch of their life, battered up the wazoo, no bellies, only strips. But eating on the boardwalk, watching All God's Children go by was so much fun.

We sat on the beach until it started bucketing rain and then headed to the Russian markets. Loved those but had some hit or miss items. My favorite by far was the smoked kielbasa, which I think we got from M&I. Not so good were the salads from Gold Label - mushroom pate tasted of nothing.

Although you can shop around, we basically think that you can get everything at M&I, fresher and usually at better prices. The place snakes around in several directions and has very nice prepared salads, a million types of dried and fresh meats & a decent cheese dept (if you like E.European cheeses). Breads are good too. So are the desserts. Did I mention that, in the back, there's a full prepared hot and cold foods section that is quite extensive and portable to the boardwalk and beach? smile.gif

#30 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

yeah, M&I is pretty insane and yuo can find there just about anything. and stuff you can't find in poland any more.
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.