115 replies to this topic

#16 Della

Della

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:12 PM

Here is my recipe for the pulled pork ( I make up the rub differently everytime) and bbq sauce:

Pork - approx 4 lb pork shoulder - cut into 3 pcs
(I cut away the large fat areas but just the really big ones!)
Dry rub with whatever seasonings you like best - this time I used black pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, minced garlic, cayenne, paprika, drizzle with olive oil and let sit overnight.
The next day - sear on grill over high heat so that you get nice grill marks
Toss in crock pot on auto for about 7 hours or so. Remove, let sit for about 20 minutes and pull pork apart with two forks - should be falling apart at this point.

Sauce: (From "Webers Big Book of Grilling" - Kansas City style sauce
1 tbls veg oil
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 tsp minced garlic
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tbls worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tbls yellow mustard
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp chile powder
tabasco (I add about 10 good "dashes")

Saute the onions for about 4 - 5 minutes, add garlic and cook for one more minute.
Add everything else (including tabasco) and bring to boil; drop down to low and let simmer for 15 minutes - that is it. Add to pork and mix well.
I ususally double the recipe since I like mine pretty sauce-y.

Thanks again everyone!
Della

#17 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

Cranberry Pear Chutney

12 oz bag of cranberries
1 - 1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
½ cup raisins
2 lg pears, peeled and chopped
2 tsp grated lemon zest
¼ cup peeled, finely minced, fresh ginger
½ tsp dried red pepper flakes
1 cup chopped onion
¼ cup cider vinegar
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/8 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20-30 minutes or until berries have burst and the texture is fairly thick and chutney-ish. It will firm up quite a bit after chilling. Best to make a day ahead, cover and chill. Will keep for a couple of weeks. Remove from fridge an hour or so before serving. Makes about 4 cups.

My notes:

1. This is a British-style chutney (like a mango or Major Grey), not the lighter/fresher Indian variety.

2. The original recipe called for only ½ cup brown sugar—to my taste the sweet/sour/spicy balance is better with more—it’s still not overly sweet. I often start with 1 cup and then add more if it needs it after it’s cooked for 15 minutes or so. Adjust to your preference.

3. I’ve made this with both golden and brown raisins and either will work.

4. It’s really good on turkey sandwiches and also with pork roast or ham.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#18 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:52 PM

Pear Custard/Clafoutis

Slice four peeled pears into a 9x11 dish.

Blend (in a blender):

3/4 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 c. half and half
(I also put in some vanilla but whatever.)

Pour over pears. You can dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 375 40-50 minutes to clean-knife stage.

(Broil a bit to brown the top at the end if you're so inclined.)

This is actually a clafoutis. (Good little discussion in Saveur, which quotes Larousse Gastronomique so I don't have to.) The key difference from a custard seems to be all the flour (I actually paused for a moment before putting it in, thinking it might be too much), which makes it more cake- or bread-pudding-like and I think yummier--gives a little "tooth" that you don't get in a custard, especially in the browner bits around the bottom of the pan and on top. The Saveur article and recipe for Cherry Clafoutis recommends a higher temperature--425--which I think I'll try next time cause the browned almost-bread-pudding-like texture is what I really like about it.

Pears work great(ly) for this (I used bosc) cause their texture holds up and fits in well; they don't go soggy and the juice doesn't leak into the custard. Cherries (unpitted!) are also classics, many other possibilities.
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." —Dalai Lama

#19 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:03 AM

As promised:
Leek & Onion tartlettes ala Bruce Naftaly of LeGourmand
serves 24

8 Tbsp Plugra butter (unsalted)
2 large leeks
2 HUGE yellow onions (approx 1.25 lbs each) or 3 large onions
[do not use walla wallas or other "sweet" onions]
1.5 - 2 tbsp ground juniper berries
1 batch prebaked 2.5" tartlettes (see below)
1/2 to 3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese

Filling:
Slice leek whites into thin rings.
Slice onions into thin half rings (quarters would actually be better for tartlets.)
Cook leeks & onions in butter in a heavy bottom pot on medium till transluscent.
Add ground juniper berries.
Cook on low for 2+ hours, stirring occasionally so they don't burn, until REALLY soft. They will reduce to about 1/4 of original volume.
Season to taste with salt (but don't skimp!)

Assembly:
Fill the tartlettes with onion mix, smooth down into tart shell.
Sprinkle with gruyere.
Put into a 375f oven 'til cheese melts.
Serve with an Alsatian Tokay Pinot Gris, and enjoy!

(If let to cool, they can be reheated for @ 10 minutes just till cheese looks "melty" again)

Note that the original recipe is for one 10" tart, which is lovely, but less convenient for individual servings.

Tartlette crust:
1 c. AP flour
6 tbsp Plugra butter (unsalted)
1 good pinch salt
@ 1/2 c. ice water
(extra flour for rolling)

Preheast oven to 350f
Pregrease 2 regular muffin tins
In a stand mixer with the regular paddle combine flour, butter & salt till the mix looks "sandy"
Then slowly add water just until the dough forms a ball.
Roll out with plenty of flour
(it's fairly forgiving if you have to reroll used dough.)
cut out 24 3" rounds and place in muffin tins
(they should come up about 1/4" from the bottom)
Prick with a fork, and weight the crusts.
(I line them with muffin papers filled with beans/lentils)
Bake for @ 15 minutes. Check, they should look just dry, but still blonde.
(If really damp looking in center leave weights in & cook a bit longer.)
Remove pie weights & bake another 5 minutes till they begin turning gold at the edges.
Fill.
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#20 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:02 AM

* Exported from MasterCook *

Indian Cranberry Chutney

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 bags cranberries
4 cups sugar
3 cups water
10 black cardamom pods -- pounded lightly to
break the skin
1 stick cinnamon -- (3")
1 T fennel seeds
1/2 tsp. nigella seeds
1/2 tsp. black cumin seeds
1 tsp. fenugreek seeds
1 T ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. salt
5 T white vinegar

Stir all together except vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick - about 5-7 minutes. Uncover, add vinegar, and cook until quite thick, another 5-7 minutes. Chutney will continue to thicken as it cools. Keeps for a long time in the fridge.

Source:
"adapted slightly from The Indian Vegetarian by Neelam Batra"

Pickled Peaches

Buy some good-quality canned peach halves, about 2 large or 4 small cans. Stud the peaches with cloves, about 4-6 cloves per half. Heat 1 quart of cider vinegar with 4 cups of sugar. Drop in the peaches and let is come just to a simmer. Turn off heat. Let cool, then chill peaches for at least a couple of days before serving. Hey presto, that's it!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fiery Carrot Dip

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 lb large carrots
3 T wine vinegar
4 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic (I use 4)
2 tsp harissa
salt and pepper
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ginger

Boil carrots until very soft (I usually just zap them in the micro). Drain and puree in food processor with all other ingredients. Taste for sseasonings and use plenty of salt. Chill.

Source:
"adapted from Claudia Roden"

#21 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:59 AM

2 quick questions for Abra: Is that white wine vinegar on the carrots or red?

I must go buy some peaches tomorrow - about how long do they last? (if not devoured by ravening hoardes of pickled peach lovers)
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#22 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:15 PM

I use red wine vinegar in the carrots, since I have an endless supply. And the peaches last for at least 2 weeks, not that I ever manage to keep them that long.

Steve, would you post your Brussels sprout recipe too? That was delicious.

#23 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:51 AM

Here's the drink recipe for the lingonberry cocktails

1/2 oz lingonberry juice concentrate - available at IKEA
1/2 oz Red Lillet
3 to 4 oz chilled cava or other dry sparkler

Stir slowly or it will all fizz over the glass, serve in champagne flutes

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#24 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:54 AM

Sounds delicious.

#25 kayswv

kayswv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:35 PM

As requested from Thanksgiving get together:

Vermont Style Maple Braised and Glazed Turnips

3 TBS unsalted butter
1 cup fat free chicken stock
3 TBS pure maple syrup
about 1 1/2 lbs small size white turnips, peeled
1 TBS Dijon mustard, grainy style
salt and pepper to taste

If turnips are very small cut in half. If larger, slice in wedges to equal approximate size of the halved turnips. Number of wedges will depend upon size of turnip.

Melt the butter in large covered skillet or other similiar pan. Add stock and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer. Add turnip pieces and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer, covered, until turnips are tender. This will take approximately 10-12 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove turnips to a dish leaving the liquid in the pan.

Bring the cooking liquid to a boil and reduce it by at least half and it is getting syrupy. Stir occasionally while reducing. Once syrupy, whisk in mustard. Return turnips to the pan, turn to coat with sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Warm gently to serving temperature.

Garnish with parsley for serving. Serves 4-6.

#26 kayswv

kayswv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:50 PM

For those at our table who love turnips here is another way to have them.

Turnip Fries with a Kick

Medium to large turnips work well with this recipe.

4 good size turnips, peeled
3-4 TBS parmesan or pecorino cheese, freshly ground
1 tsp pepper, freshly ground
1/2 tsp nutmeg, grated
olive oil
fresh lime (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 15x18 baking sheet with tinfoil or use a large cookie sheet (unlined). Brush pan lightly with olive oil.

Cut turnips into sticks about 2 1/2 X 1/2 inch. Combine seasoning and cheese in large plastic bag. Add turnip sticks. Seal and shake the bag to coat the turnip pieces. Spread turnip 'fries' in a single layer on the prepared pan. Spritz with olive oil.

Bake for 30 minutes, turning once, until 'fries' are tender and golden. Watch closely as it gets near done as they will burn quickly.

Serve with squeeze of lime wedge, if desired. Also good without the lime.

#27 scarlett

scarlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:16 AM

Hey everyone! It was so much fun getting saucy with you all! :rolleyes:

Here's the recipe for the dish I brought:

Roasted Polenta with Balsamic Sauce

From Tra Vigne, published in “The Secrets of Success Cookbook: Signature Recipes and Insider Tips from San Francisco’s Best Restaurants” by Michael Bauer

Oil for greasing
3 cups chicken stock
3 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper, plus additional to taste
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 cup polenta
1 cup semolina
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided use
½ cup grated Fontina cheese
2 cups balsamic vinegar*
1 shallot, chopped
2 quarts chicken or veal stock (use veal if possible)
6 whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1 stick unsalted butter, plus additional for greasing

- Lightly oil a baking sheet. Combine the 3 cups of chicken stock, cream, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon white pepper, and nutmeg in a heavy pot. Bring to a boil. Gradually add the polenta and semolina, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat, still stirring constantly, until the polenta pulls away from the sides of the pot, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in ¼ cup of the Parmesan and the Fontina.

- Spread the polenta evenly on the prepared pan to a thickness of ¾ inch. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until completely chilled.

- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar and shallot in a heavy large saucepan over high heat. Reduce to a syrupy consistency, being careful not to let the vinegar scorch, about 10-15 minutes. Add the 2 quarts of stock (chicken or veal), peppercorns, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce to a syrupy consistency, turning down the heat near the end of cooking so the sauce won’t burn, about 1 ¼ hours. Strain the sauce into a small saucepan.

- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Butter a sheet pan.

- Cut the polenta into squares or triangles. Place on a prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes.

- Bring the strained sauce to a simmer, reduce heat to low. Whisk in the butter a tablespoon at a time until fully incorporated. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

- Divide the sauce among serving plates. Top with polenta.

*Note: I used Whole Foods 360 Aged Balsamic Vinegar
Traca
Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy
Examiner.com - Seattle Food Scene

#28 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:30 PM

As I mentioned last night, the entire thread on making tamales is here.
It's great reading.

The recipe for the black tamales is down the page a bit here.

The link to the mole recipe on Epicurious is here, I just don't make the turkey part.

The photo essay I did on making the mole is here, and the pictures of the actual tamale-making are here.

Boy, does that all feel like cheating! Last year's pictures, last month's food!

#29 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

Hello all,

Thank you again to everyone for such a warm and wonderful welcome and a fabulous nite of food (and to Kim and David for hosting)! I look forward to getting to know all of you more and sharing more amazing meals. :rolleyes: Here's the recipe for the sauce I brought. Nanc

Super Easy Creamy Tomato Sauce
From Moosewood Restaurant’s New Classics pg. 370
(with a few tiny modifications…also this recipe is doubled and yields about 8 cups of sauce)

2 tbl olive oil
1 cup diced red onion (oops, I just realized that in dbl’ing the recipe this should have been 2 cups, but I forgot to dbl this part and only used 1 cup)
6 decent-sized garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp of fresh cracked pepper (or slightly less or more to taste..I used a bit less)
About 2 or 3 tbl of Shiraz
Two 28 oz. cans of tomatoes, with juice/diced
One 8 oz. pkg of Philly cream cheese
About 6 tbl of chopped, fresh basil

Sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil with the salt, pepper and oregano. After the onions are translucent, add the Shiraz and cook until the alcohol has burned off. Add the two cans of tom’s and simmer (covered) for ten minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool or the steam may force the lid off the top of the blender during the next step. (I learned this the hard way with pureed, red pepper soup…making lovely designs on my kitchen walls.) Blend the tomato mixture with the cream cheese (usually two batches with half the cream cheese and half the tomato mixture in each batch is a safe option….i.e not too full or messy). Return to the pan to heat a bit more if needed and sprinkle the chopped basil on top before serving.
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#30 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

Here are our recipes from Kim's fabulous saucy party:

Sauce Bob for twenty people: (modified from a recipe by The Madrone Culinary Guild) In a pot over medium heat whisk together 1 oz minced capers, the whites of 5-6 green onions sliced thin, 10 tsp of grey poupon mustard, 5 tsp apple cider vinegar, and 2.5 cubes of salted butter. When it looks like sauce serve it over asparagus, bread, lamb, fish etc. Remember Bob goes with everything :rolleyes:
And for those who are interested, here's the text from le Varenne's 1653 "Le cuisinier françois":
Poor John with a Sauce Robert.
You may put it with butter, a drop of verjuice, and some mustard, you may also mixe with it some capers and chibols

Uber Vanilla Ice-cream: Bill worked from Alton Brown's recipe, and then altered the recipe by scraping two Tahitian vanilla beans in to the initial milk, then dropping the bean themselves in and cooking the milk. pulled out the bean husks and continued the recipe.

Frangelico caramel sauce: (Modified from a recipe by Bruce Naftaly)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 tbsp salted butter
1 tbsp frangelico

Combine sugar & water in a 1.5 qt sauce pan, cover & cook on medium high for about 15 minutes till it turns brown. Open the lid & stir every few minutes to make yourself crazy and every 1 minute toward the end so you don't burn it... (do NOT leave the kitchen or it WILL burn) Take off the heat & carefully whisk in the cream, it will foam up for a minute. then whisk in the butter, then add your frangelico (or other flavor enhancer) It will look a bit thin, but don't worry, it thickens up as it cools.
makes @ 1.5 cups of sauce
- Athenaeus