3806 replies to this topic

#16 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:55 AM

Criticism or endorsement of religions remains off limits on mouthfuls, guys. So does threatening violence in support of it
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#17 bigbear

bigbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:22 AM

Miguel Gierbolini looks like Cantinflas.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#18 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:49 PM

Anderson Cooper is Gloria Vanderbilt's son? What rock have I been living under?

#19 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

Anderson Cooper is Gloria Vanderbilt's son? What rock have I been living under?

I didn't know that! (love your sig line)

He's got a good career ahead of him, IMO.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#20 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:13 PM

David Blaine held his breath under water for 7 minutes, 8 secs. Didn't beat the record which is 8 mins 58 secs, but that is something. I imagined the record would be around 6mins as I learned yonks ago that pearl divers could go that long.

I was at the Lincoln Ctr on Friday (to see Tosca) and it was surreal seeing Blaine in his 8-foot circular tank.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#21 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

And he did this after being submerged for the best part of a week, right?

Nothing, of course, in comparison to thirty minutes of MRI (even in an open machine), but pretty remarkable.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#22 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

Yes, a whole week in that tank. The sight was quite creepy to me. I think I'd have got the bends. Also, it's suggested he stayed in the tank this long to prepare for holding his breath; I'd have thought the ordeal would've weakened him.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#23 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:11 PM

msnbc.com described his appearance, on emerging from the tank, as "wrinkly". :lol:
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#24 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:19 PM

I manage that without benefit of tank :lol:

#25 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:57 AM

1) If Blaine switched to pure oxygen before holding his breath it would help.

2) Open MRIs are for wimps.

3) Getting back on topic... Adiabatic 90s are necessary for stimulated echo diffusion sequences.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#26 pierred

pierred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:42 AM

When the temperature gets abouve 115 airplanes need more runway to take off and must carry less weight to be able to.

A pilot told me awhile back that very humid air is lighter and dry air is heavier, which is related to lift. It is confusing to me that humid air, which feels oppressive, is light but also more difficult to get lift in. Any pilots who know abou tthis?

But my learn something new moment most recently came whilst doing something I have already done plenty of: drinking wine with food. I never got the unpleasant livery flavor of pate with chardonnay side by side with the lovely buttery flavor of pate with Sauternes. Sorry for the snobby sounding wine thing- but in a restaurant kitchen I got a really *BWANG* moment out of that. Geez, why didn't I know that?

#27 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:30 AM

But my learn something new moment most recently came whilst doing something I have already done plenty of: drinking wine with food. I never got the unpleasant livery flavor of pate with chardonnay side by side with the lovely buttery flavor of pate with Sauternes. Sorry for the snobby sounding wine thing- but in a restaurant kitchen I got a really *BWANG* moment out of that. Geez, why didn't I know that?

I am completely and totally about avoiding the liver flavor. Gak. Wine pairings can be revelatory. (BWANG is a very good word, too.)

(Did you know your font size, on a general browser, is reallllllly tiny and haaaaaaaaaard to read? Though I love a good serif as much as the next person, the default fonts here are actually easy to read.)

#28 pierred

pierred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:46 AM

I am completely and totally about avoiding the liver flavor. Gak. Wine pairings can be revelatory. (BWANG is a very good word, too.)

(Did you know your font size, on a general browser, is reallllllly tiny and haaaaaaaaaard to read? Though I love a good serif as much as the next person, the default fonts here are actually easy to read.)

Confessions of a font nut: I know that can happen. It is an addiction for me.
But I will make a real effort to change this time. Thanks!

#29 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:32 PM

Confessions of a font nut

Did you mean fondue nut ? Mmmm, delicious, peeled almonds dipped in hot chocolate :lol:

#30 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:21 PM

Wow. I have absolutely no idea what that means. Amazing.
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.