39 replies to this topic

#1 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:02 PM

I am thinking about making a road trip to places I have never been before. Middle Missouri, what is there, what should I not miss. The trip will happen over 3 days next week. I have no idea of how to plan this jaunt. And I do not mind getting off the interstate highway.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#2 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:08 PM

Missouri actually has quite a large and enthusiastic and historic wine industry.

If you enjoy wines, I'd suggest you peruse this website: Missouri Wine and plan a trip around that.

Also, there is a sizeable population of Amish here. They have shops selling excellent jams, jellies, preserves, cheese, etc.

The Voice of America

#3 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:11 PM

I highly recommend stopping off in Hermann, MO. The wines are not anything to write home about, but there is a fantastic meat market right out town in a little village called Swiss. It's called Swiss Meat Market, and they specialize authentic German style charcuterie and smoked meats.

#4 SWISS_CHEF

SWISS_CHEF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:57 PM

...Swiss Meat Market, and they specialize authentic German style charcuterie and smoked meats.

Man, I can't decide who you are going to piss-off the most :( ... the Swiss, the Germans or the French!! Pretty good for one sentence! If you ask a Swiss..the French and Germans know nothing about smoking and drying meat. If you ask a German he will say the Swiss know more than the French. If you ask a French person they probably will agree. The only people that know more about curing meat than the Swiss are the Italians and they only know about pork.

Ever tried Mostbröckli or Bundnerfleisch??? In Switzerland it's like a religion. Come here and I would be happy to show you. :(

La cucina è il mio tempio, Il forno è il mio altare, la gastronomia é la mia religione

The Beromünster Wine Club

The Circle of Fire

Chez Edorovio

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:44 AM

US 66 passed through Missouri, entering at St Louis to the northeast, and exiting at Joplin in the southwest.

I'll take a look through my 66 books and see if there's anything which might be of especial interest.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#6 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:47 AM

US 66 passed through Missouri, entering at St Louis to the northeast, and exiting at Joplin in the southwest.

I'll take a look through my 66 books and see if there's anything which might be of especial interest.

Me. I'm here. Right on ol' 66. See if they say anything about me. :(

The Voice of America

#7 SWISS_CHEF

SWISS_CHEF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:54 AM

I lived in Kansas City for something like 18 years. Just two words about middle Missouri "oh zarks". In the small towns out in the country look for little diners, they usually serve pretty good country style food and you will love the pies. If you can make it all the way to Kansas City you have the Nelson Atkins Museum for culture, The Plaza for shopping and the best architecture in the entire of middle America, Strouds for fried chicken, Bryants and Gates for barbecue and my favorite pizza in the world is at Minsky's. Take a nice drive through the beautiful neighborhoods of Sunset Hills on the Missouri side and Mission Hills on the Kansas side. Westport is also a don't miss, with lots of restaurants and good night life. I'm sorry I can't give you more restaurant tips but I haven't lived there in 12 years and most of my old haunts are closed.

La cucina è il mio tempio, Il forno è il mio altare, la gastronomia é la mia religione

The Beromünster Wine Club

The Circle of Fire

Chez Edorovio

#8 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:46 AM

you guys are great. I will definitely check out the meat market. I love me some bundnerfleisch. To get it in Tulsa, i have to order it in from Di Bruno back east.
I have been to KC before. I find the Plaza almost boring, it has become mostly the shops you find at any mall. Blue Stem in on my list and of course some Que. I have much more fun in the crossroads at all the galleries. And KC does have some great architecture.

Jaymes, I will let you know when I know the dates and maybe we can meet up for a bite. My guess is midweek next week. I have driven the I44 once, but quickly. I want to stop in Springfield and check out the Brown Derby. Their web site displays and amazing wine selection.

#9 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

...Swiss Meat Market, and they specialize authentic German style charcuterie and smoked meats.

Man, I can't decide who you are going to piss-off the most :( ... the Swiss, the Germans or the French!! Pretty good for one sentence! If you ask a Swiss..the French and Germans know nothing about smoking and drying meat. If you ask a German he will say the Swiss know more than the French. If you ask a French person they probably will agree. The only people that know more about curing meat than the Swiss are the Italians and they only know about pork.

Ever tried Mostbröckli or Bundnerfleisch??? In Switzerland it's like a religion. Come here and I would be happy to show you. :(

It's called Swiss Meat Market because it is in a town called Swiss, MO. Our family used to have a farm there. The main town in the area is called Hermann. The entire area was settled by German immigrants, hence the German influence in the wine making and charcuterie. At Swiss, they cure a lot of meats, smoke some, and dry little if any. The braunschweiger is very good, as is the pepper bacon. Basically, all their pork products are very good.

SWISS MEATS

#10 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:01 PM

Jaymes, I will let you know when I know the dates and maybe we can meet up for a bite. My guess is midweek next week. I have driven the I44 once, but quickly. I want to stop in Springfield and check out the Brown Derby. Their web site displays and amazing wine selection.

I'll be happy to meet you at the Brown Derby. And then we can go to lunch at the only local place that seems to have garnered any fame -- Lambert's.

The Voice of America

#11 bilrus

bilrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:13 PM

I wish I could help with this, as I went to college midway between St. Louis and Kansas City and grew up in St. Louis. But there wasn't much that I remembered (even as a pre-food-obsessive) as being very good in the middle regions of the state, including Columbia.

My highlights at the time were the all-you-can-eat, two story Taco Bell in Jefferson City and the "best I've ever had before or since" biscuits and sausage gravy at Gasper's, the truck stop at the Kingdom City exit off of I-70 and the only place within 20 miles of campus that was open all night. Unfortunately, I just learned that Gaspers closed its doors earlier this year. Very sad.

#12 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:08 PM

Me. I'm here. Right on ol' 66. See if they say anything about me. :(

Me too! Only I'm in Illinois.

Actually we are driving to St. Louis tomorrow. for some reason our German houseguests are convinced there is good BBQ to be had there, but I've heard otherwise. Apparently the main thing worth eating is some sort of upside-down milkshake.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#13 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:09 PM

Ted Drewes serves the frozen custard concoction known as a "concrete". This is the upside down milkshake of which you speak.

There are many good restaurants in St. Louis. What are you looking for?

p.s. The BBQ in St. Louis SUCKS. Avoid it at all costs.

#14 theclash

theclash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

I wish I could help with this, as I went to college midway between St. Louis and Kansas City and grew up in St. Louis. But there wasn't much that I remembered (even as a pre-food-obsessive) as being very good in the middle regions of the state, including Columbia.

My highlights at the time were the all-you-can-eat, two story Taco Bell in Jefferson City and the "best I've ever had before or since" biscuits and sausage gravy at Gasper's, the truck stop at the Kingdom City exit off of I-70 and the only place within 20 miles of campus that was open all night. Unfortunately, I just learned that Gaspers closed its doors earlier this year. Very sad.

in columbia i always enjoyed booches on 9th st for cheap burgers and pool and the broadway dinner for hangover breakfast.

some other suggestions here

#15 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

Jaymes,  I will let you know when I know the dates and maybe we can meet up for a bite.  My guess is midweek next week.  I have driven the I44 once, but quickly.  I want to stop in Springfield and check out the Brown Derby.  Their web site displays and amazing wine selection.

I'll be happy to meet you at the Brown Derby. And then we can go to lunch at the only local place that seems to have garnered any fame -- Lambert's.

Jaymes, does that mean I need to bring a catchers mitt? How does this coming Monday sound? That would be the 18th. Say 11am? Springfield is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Tulsa if I remember correctly.

That way, I could maybe check out a natrual bridge park near Dixon on my way to St Louis and if it gets too late, over night in Rollo. I understand they pronounce that differently up there. My mother's mom was a Rollo but it was pronounced Rah-low.

And if Lambert's is it, then lets eat.