39 replies to this topic

#31 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:34 PM

[The other place I miss is the original Kemoll's, an Italian restaurant that is now in the revitalized downtown area & was in North St. Louis when I was there. Very nice old line red sauce place. There were several other restaurants that were excellent as well but 24 year old recommendations arent going to assist anyone.

I think Kemoll's is still open downtown, and it always has been one of the top old school red sauce joints. The others that I liked very much were GianPeppe's (now closed sadly) Charlie Gitto's, and Dominic's.

#32 bilrus

bilrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:38 PM

[The other place I miss is the original Kemoll's, an Italian restaurant that is now in the revitalized downtown area & was in North St. Louis when I was there.  Very nice old line red sauce place.  There were several other restaurants that were excellent as well but 24 year old recommendations arent going to assist anyone.

I think Kemoll's is still open downtown, and it always has been one of the top old school red sauce joints.

I was last at Kemoll's about six years ago. I made the mistake of ordering some sort of pork or veal dish that was pretty underwhelming. But everyone who ordered pastas seemed happy.

#33 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:24 PM

[The other place I miss is the original Kemoll's, an Italian restaurant that is now in the revitalized downtown area & was in North St. Louis when I was there.  Very nice old line red sauce place.  There were several other restaurants that were excellent as well but 24 year old recommendations arent going to assist anyone.

I think Kemoll's is still open downtown, and it always has been one of the top old school red sauce joints.

I was last at Kemoll's about six years ago. I made the mistake of ordering some sort of pork or veal dish that was pretty underwhelming. But everyone who ordered pastas seemed happy.

Kemoll's was quite the thing when it was on the Northside. I was visiting some friends in St. Louis about 5 years ago, went to the downtown location and thought it was good but uneven. Of course I was 20 years older with way more good restaurant experience and they were 20 years older, coasting on reputation, but I still loved being back.

Thanks for the restaurant link. It reminded me: a good Italian restaurant and they serve toasted ravioli and cheese garlic bread. If we could only get Mario Batali to consider it.... or maybe Il Mulino. God, I miss those classy foods!

This space available… contact owner.

#34 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:00 PM

Toasted Ravioli is a guilty pleasure. I always order it when I am back in St. Louis.

#35 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:12 PM

Just remembered Balaban's on Euclid (Central West End). Still there? Was excellent in the late '70s.

#36 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:15 PM

Just remembered Balaban's on Euclid (Central West End). Still there? Was excellent in the late '70s.

I think it is still there, but not quite as cutting edge as it was then. Became the yuppie bar for happy hour in the 80's and then sort of leveled out in the 90s. Now there are superior places to eat in the CWE.

#37 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:23 PM

Just remembered Balaban's on Euclid (Central West End).  Still there?  Was excellent in the late '70s.

I think it is still there, but not quite as cutting edge as it was then. Became the yuppie bar for happy hour in the 80's and then sort of leveled out in the 90s. Now there are superior places to eat in the CWE.

That does it. You know enough of the places I remember that I need to make a list and run it by you. So... the next time you're coming to NY, let me know and I'll buy you some free samplings of bourbon at LeNell's.

#38 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:55 AM

I met up with Jaymes and had a very nice meal at Al Roubaie's. Apparently it was located in Kansas City at one time. I did not get to speak with the chef, but if your in the area of Springfield, it makes a nice alternative to all the Evil Gardens that seem to exist there. We did decide that the dressing on the orange and date salad was most likely oj concentrate and gin. The Lamb Al Roubaie was a nice slice of leg of lamb with a tomato sauce, I think it had cumin or cardamom or something like that in it. And the Zuchini frites were addictive. The wine list was minimal. Desserts were not all that attractive although they did have 3 versions of crepes listed. The menu seemed to be a throwback to continental cuisine of the 70's. But that may be because of the clientel one might encounter in a place like Springfield.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#39 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:27 PM

Just remembered Balaban's on Euclid (Central West End).  Still there?  Was excellent in the late '70s.

That does it. You know enough of the places I remember that I need to make a list and run it by you. So... the next time you're coming to NY, let me know and I'll buy you some free samplings of bourbon at LeNell's.

I lived there from '85-'90. Some of my family still lives there, so I visit regularly.

I love The Hill.

We'll go to LeNell's after lunch at Red Hook ballfields. :blink:

#40 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:31 PM

I met up with Jaymes and had a very nice meal at Al Roubaie's. Apparently it was located in Kansas City at one time.

And may I say what a pleasure it was to meet Joiei, and how much I enjoyed our conversation. He's such an nice guy, with a very interesting background. I hope that's just the first among many such "food getaways" we can take.

As he said about himself, "I travel for food."

Thanks for traveling here, Joiei. I was such a chatterbox, I know, but it was such a pleasure to have such charming company. Quite a change from my every day life.

:blink:

The Voice of America