563 replies to this topic

#31 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:42 AM

He wants to emphasize the a la carte menu as well as a flexible tasting menu that he can tailor.  There is a five and seven course tasting menu option now, it just doesn't list what's in them. 

I like slightly flexible tasting menus better in general since I have a stupid allergy to work around, and I think that chefs can often do better work impromptu than when they're cranking out the same dish for the 30th time in a night.

Bill & I did the 5 course tasting menu at Union last Fall when it was still a "set menu" but I just aksed if they could work around my "no fish" rule and they were happy to adjust for me - in fact Bill liked my "alternate" dishes better than the ones from the set menu.
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#32 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:59 PM

Turns out my friend Mary will be in town for a concert that weekend. Rocky, is there room to add her to the list as well?
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#33 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:06 AM

Turns out my friend Mary will be in town for a concert that weekend. Rocky, is there room to add her to the list as well?

Absolutely, we have room. Ethan has decided to go large with this one. Anyone know any good Oom Pah bands out there? :blink:

Rocky

#34 laurel

laurel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:36 PM

Joe and I would like to come too!

#35 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:24 PM

[Another merging miracle...]

Enjoy!
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#36 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:02 AM

Updating the list so far for the Oktoberfest dinner

Anita and Cameron
Vince (maybe) and Pat (maybe)
Paul Nicholson and Kelli
Laren and Paul and Mary
Jan and Gary
Abra and Shel
Tamara and Rick
Reese and Rob(maybe)
Margaret and Speck (maybe)
Leslie
Kay and Al
Wendy and Dayne
Matthew, Ben(maybe), and Richard(maybe)
Laurel and Joe
Traca
Eden and Bill
Steve
Megan Woo
Matsutakekichigai (maybe)
Rocky and Dani + 15

I always forget to count myself in. :o

45 definite so far, 7 maybe. Email, PM, or post back. The more the merrier.

Rocky

#37 vengroff

vengroff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:52 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder that Ethan's inaugural Sunday dinner, featuring an all seafood menu is coming up on the 21st of this month at 6:30pm. According to my records, the following Mouthsful are planning to attend:

Vengroff + 1
Rocky
DRColby + 1
Reese + 1
Malarky

I also have some others who are not on mouthfuls who will be there.

JR + 1
LS (+ 1?)

That gives us either 11 or 12 total. There is room for up to 14, so there are a few spots left, and I will also maintain a small waiting list in the event of cancellations. I would like to ask everyone above to reconfirm by Thursday the 11th. If you aren't on the list above, but would like to attend, please also confirm by Friday. I'll post the final list on Monday.

Once again, this will be a special multicourse seafood meal prepared by Ethan and his crew. The full menu with paired wines is $95 per person.

Please consider yourself committed when you sign up. Ethan has been nice enough to offer us this special event, and I want to make sure it is fully attended.

#38 vengroff

vengroff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

Adding RS+1 (not of mouthfuls). This brings us to 13/14.

#39 vengroff

vengroff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:33 AM

Here is the current lineup of confirmed attendees for 6:30 on August 21:

Vengroff + 1
Rocky
DRColby + 1
Reese + 1
JR + 1
LS
RS + 1

That brings us to an even dozen. We can potentially add 2 more, but I'll need to know in the next 24 hours so I can give Ethan a final tally.

Details of the menu remain under wraps, but expect plenty of seafood, and a nod towards rosé in the glass.

#40 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:23 AM

well crap, I missed the deadline!

Oh well, that's OK. I just got back from a gastronomic adventure up at Sooke Harbour House :o

Ya'll have to post pix and tasting notes!
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#41 reese

reese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:49 PM

holy moly. that was some good food.

it was great to meet DR & Cathy Colby, Hilary and a few (for now!) colleagues i hadn't met before. Rob and Rocky and I stayed too late and (I) maybe could have passed up that last glass of wine...

i don't think anyone took photos - i'll do what i can to recall some of the wonderful dishes ethan prepared. wines were (help!) a rose, & a lovely pouilly fume i know nothing about and panther creek pinot that i'm freaking in love with.

dishes came out family style and included: (with rose)
gratineed mussels
sashimi of the inductor muscle of a giant razor clam - any recollection of what he called this?
smoked salmon with creme fraiche, american spoonbill caviar and baby brioche - i loved this. it's simple, but oh-so good.
hamachi & avocado tartare. i liked this but it had a strong cumin flavor - which worked well with the avocado but kind of overwhelmed the hamachi.

with pouilly fume
hawaiian prawns - grilled whole and served on thinly sliced cucumbers. really good.
branzino with fava puree - i heart favas!
(am i forgetting a dish?)

with pinot
2 whole (delicious) bass - one stuffed with lemon and fennel and one with italian sausage and red & yellow bell peppers
grilled octopus with (spanish) chorizo and fingerling potatoes - really really good. i loved the balance of this dish.
profiteroles for dessert - cognac iced cream?

many many thanks to darren for arranging this. service, food and company were all stellar - and i thought the meal (while not cheap) was well worth the cash. oh that pinot! <swoon>

#42 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:51 AM

A wonderful beautiful dinner and all props to Darren and Ethan and his crew. What a dinner! I will hopefully soon have pictures and will post with details then.

Rocky

#43 vengroff

vengroff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:10 AM

Thanks to all who attended, and to the entire Union crew, including both Ethans, for taking such good care of us. The food, wine, and company were all outstanding.

#44 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:00 PM

Okay it's picture time!

Pictures from Vengroff's Seafood Dinner Extrvaganza at Union

Drool now and call me in the morning!

Rocky

#45 DRColby

DRColby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:55 PM

Ethan has suggested a mushroom feast as part of the Sunday dinner series. I ‘d like to see how much interest we can drum up for eating funugs from the forest. It’s would take place Sept. 25 and we need at least 12 to pull it off.
I ‘lll make a couple of trips to the woods to see what edibles I can contribute in the way of fungi.
At this point I am guessing the cost will be $95 and the table would be available sometime around 6 p.m.
Cathy and I went to the last Sunday event, the fish dinner, and thought it was quite different for Union. A communal table with many different dishes and some pretty neat wine pairings, I think Ethan may be a little more creative when he cooks this way.
Can we round up a dozen or so for this? E-mail me or use this thread to let me know your interest.

dave