1425 replies to this topic

#16 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:40 AM

Two weeks from today, I'm moving to Rome for a year. I'll travel around Italy when I get the chance; other than that, next up is a few days in Tunisia in mid-October.

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#17 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:02 AM

Oh, of course... all sorts of hijinks and whatnot...
Andrew Fenton

#18 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:02 AM

Taking the lad to meet his grandparents in Ireland. :(
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#19 Kim

Kim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:58 PM

This is the summer of the college quest for the soon to be HS Senior....two and three day trips to Ithaca NY(Cornell), Middlebury and Burlington VT ( Middlebury, Uof V), DC ( American, Georgetown, which is a longshot along w/ Cornell) New Orleans, (Tulane) and Boulder CO ( U of C@Boulder). We'll plan some more southern schools in the Fall. However, we just came back from VT, and he's so crazy about Burlington and U of VT, he's now lukewarm to go anywhere else.

Friends are going to San Fran and Wine country in Sept, but I am working the campaigns again and the timing seems near impossible, but we're still considering.

The whole family will be in Vermont for a few weeks in Jan, Rutland/Okemo.

It's really fun to read where you are planning to go...really interesting destinations, for interesting reasons. I can't wait to change the paridigm for planning vacations, focussing on personal vacations instead of family vacations.

#20 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:08 PM

I know I'm setting the bar very high, but I have faith in you. Take a look at Maurice Naughton's Notes of A Parisite thread.

#21 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:13 PM

Two weeks from today, I'm moving to Rome for a year. I'll travel around Italy when I get the chance; other than that, next up is a few days in Tunisia in mid-October.

I would love to hear more about that.

#22 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:23 PM

The big trip is to the South Seas - Moorea, Bora Bora, Rangiroa and Raratonga.

Can't wait.

#23 Farid

Farid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:25 PM

Before the end of the year, I am taking a road trip south (Paso Robles, Ojai/Santa Barbara area, Pasadena, then maybe Long Beach and San Diego) for a bunch of reasons (visiting farms being primary, but also to visit Chef Zadi's family and the culinary academy where he teaches). I will also be going to Georgia, as both of my youngest sisters are having sons. I also hope to return to New York City and visit friends, and go back to Dévi and Blue Hill Stone Barns before the year is out. I also hope to visit Napa again, but I'm not going this month. Too damn hot!

Tana's coming to the school to do a seminar on small
farms.

#24 Farid

Farid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:26 PM

I want to hear about Tunisia especially.

#25 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:11 PM

The big trip is to the South Seas - Moorea, Bora Bora, Rangiroa and Raratonga.

Can't wait.

Are you gonna dive, B?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#26 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

I know I'm setting the bar very high, but I have faith in you. Take a look at Maurice Naughton's Notes of A Parisite thread.

And be sure to look at my Swiss thread. A very high bar indeed. :(
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#27 MyKong

MyKong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

Just got back from honeymoon on Martha's Vineyard. We stayed in a house in West Tisbury, a half mile lazy walk to Lambert's Cove Beach, where daises grew on the side of the road, Donald Sutherland happily rides his bike by.

It was a most excellent vacation. Edgartown is one of the greatest places I have been to, but that's probably b/c I am obsessed with pink, green, sailboats, hydrangeas, and fresh seafood.
"I remembered the old joke that defines eternity as two people and a whole ham." Maurice Naughton

#28 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:35 PM

Get on that bridezilla thread where you belong! :(

We've been waiting...

#29 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:34 PM

Just got back from honeymoon on Martha's Vineyard. We stayed in a house in West Tisbury, a half mile lazy walk to Lambert's Cove Beach, where daises grew on the side of the road, Donald Sutherland happily rides his bike by.

It was a most excellent vacation. Edgartown is one of the greatest places I have been to, but that's probably b/c I am obsessed with pink, green, sailboats, hydrangeas, and fresh seafood.

Was the pink and green in the flowers or in the outfits of the summer residents; you know, like Muffy and Charles V. Farquar IV?

#30 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

That is a high standard! Please don't expect me to be, like, all, cultured and stuff: hell, I can barely read. But-- to self-promote for a moment-- I do have a blog about my time in Rome, which for obvious reasons is very light on content at the moment. But I expect to fill it up with all kinds of good stuff once I get there, and I'm happy to contribute here as well.
Andrew Fenton