47 replies to this topic

#16 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:20 PM

There's a vendor in LA that sells roasted corn with all of these condiments. He has a huge corn roasting machine. The corn is really sweet, with a little smoky flavor.

Here the corn is roasted on the street corner in a little brazier, a few ears at a time. It's usually the tougher corn that's prepared this way, with the tenderest corn prepared and served as I posted earlier.

Both are wonderful.

Yes, I did notice that he was using bigger and 'tougher' (before slow roasting anyway) corn. I wish he had a website of his itinary so I could follow him around. It's a bit expensive at $2.00 per ear, but well worth it and of course he has his costs to consider, that roasting machine he has is huge.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#17 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:47 PM

the guy who grows the poblanos is supposed to start having them at the Cherry Street farmers market this weekend. Now that peppers are starting to come on I will make more of the middle eastern stuffed pepper mezza that i made last year. The recipe was from Foodman on another board and it was easy and delicious. I will see if I can find the recipe and post it.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#18 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:02 PM

the guy who grows the poblanos is supposed to start having them at the Cherry Street farmers market this weekend. Now that peppers are starting to come on I will make more of the middle eastern stuffed pepper mezza that i made last year. The recipe was from Foodman on another board and it was easy and delicious. I will see if I can find the recipe and post it.

We take ground beef or lamb, season it with spices, usually cumin, coriander and fennel and a little garlic. Slit open open the peppers (I like to use Jalapenosm but sweet peppers are fine), remove the seeds and stuff with the seasoned ground meat. We cook that in different sauces according to what we have. The last time I made it I sauteed some shallots for about 10-15 minutes, then garlic for about 5 minutes, added fresh tomato jam, some water, then added the stuffed peppers, some saffron and tumeric, simmered untill tender, finished with some fresh herbs such as flat leaf parsley or coriander.

Don't forget to season the meat with S&P, as well as the sauce.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#19 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:31 PM

I found the thread that talks about stuffed chilis in oil. Here it is.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#20 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

A batch of Cristina's Sweet Corn with Two Kinds of Chiles, much of which disappeared, as Cristina suggested it would, in the making and tasting. The young bicolor corn here is so good right now, you don't really have to cook it; just get it hot and mix it all up together. Yum.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#21 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:24 PM

I have to admit that I wasn't overly optimistic about making and eating a creamy corn soup in the dead of the summer. Plus corn soup just doesn't excite me. But this weekend the temperatures dipped into the high eighties and I thought "what the hell! This is soup weather!"

Well I was very pleasantly surprised by the Crema de Elote con Chile Poblano. The depth of flavor and the just right amount of heat supplied by the poblano makes for a soup that I'll definitely make again -- and soon because corn is in season.

Because I had extra corn, I made a corn/cuke/tomato salad and I topped the soup with it. Man, that was good and also added a bit of crunch.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#22 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:58 PM

Calabacitas con Elote

2 lbs summer squash (I use yellow, or a mixture of yellow & zucchini), cut into generous bite-sized pieces
1 C corn kernals, cut from the cob (about 2 cobs)
1 T butter
1 small white onion, or 1/2 large, very coarsely chopped
3 tomatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped - can use canned
1 4-oz can mild green chiles, drained, very coarsely chopped (or fresh, blistered, seeded, very coarsely chopped), or more to taste
1 C favorite Mexican cheese if you can get it, mild Cheddar or Longhorn if you can't (or other favorite; I've used everything, including feta, "it's all good  :o  ), grated
S & P to taste

Boil squash and corn until just barely tender.  Pour into colander and allow to drain thoroughly.  Meanwhile, into saucepan put butter, onion, tomatoes.  Sauté til onions are clear and mixture is 'mushy.'  Return drained squash and corn to pan.  Add chiles and simmer briefly to combine flavors.  Add cheese and allow to melt.  Serve immediately when cheese is melted.

You can make this in the winter, with canned corn, tomatoes, chiles.  It's still very, very good but, obviously, not quite so good as with the fresh ingredients.

Sometimes I have this spooned over a baked potato for a veggie dinner.

Oh My. Thank you Jaymes. :blink:

I made this for lunch today after shopping at one of our produce markets this morning where I picked up fresh Poblanos, zucchini, and corn, combined with Costco sweet Walla Walla onions from another shopping trip, and garden heirloom tomatoes. As well as 2 marinated skinless boneless chix thighs (not called for in recipe, but since I had a bit as leftovers to eat as well...).

First of all the corn was so sweet and tender, I barely cooked it at all, maybe a minute, as well as ate a handful of kernals raw for the first time. Can one get sick from raw corn? Why do we have to cook it when it is this good?

The poblanos were also wonderful (picking the best ones), and $1.69/lb. Amazingly, I have bought them there previously for only 10 cents/lb when they had a large shipmment and priced to move.

The Calabacitas con Elote was a huge success and hubby and I enjoyed it immensley. Perfect on this warm summer afternoon. Hubby also appreciated the sprinkling of melted cheese (I used a jack/cheddar combo), which gave it all a very good mouth feel and the kind of satisfaction that melted cheese can add to freshly cooked veggies as a mostly main course.

edit to add: oh, I forgot to mention, I cooked the zucchini and corn in Swiss beef bouillon paste w/ boiling water in lieu of salted water, which I often do (Muller usually, but in this case Eggar). The broth can then be saved for later, as well.

#23 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

Leslie -- so glad you made this and enjoyed it. It's long been a favorite in our house. I see you used zucchini. It's good with any summer squash. I usually use yellow squash, or a mixture of yellow and zucchini, or pattypan. Yes, there's something about the mixture of the squash and corn and chiles that just gets you every time. Gracias a dios for those chiles, eh? When God gave chiles to the Mexicans, he truly blessed them.

Thanks for letting me know.

:blink:

The Voice of America

#24 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:51 PM

Sheesh, how could I have missed this thread being posted? I was sitting here thinking "damn, weren't we supposed to get a new project more than a week ago?"

:o

Looking forward to making elote in my new kitchen this weekend!

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#25 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:47 PM

Finally got around to making the Crema de Elote last night... wow, what a great soup!

We got 3 ears of young corn in our CSA box, but all three were seriously rotten on the ends, and one was rotten on one whole side. Needless to say, they weren't very appealing to eat on the cob, so this was a perfect use of them. I ended up making 2/3 of a batch, as I only had 2 cups of kernels.

I don't know whether I had particularly juicy corn, or whether the scaling of the recipe messed with things, but my batch didn't seem to need as much milk as the recipe called for; I stopped adding when I'd used only half, as it seemed it would be far too thin otherwise. But the end result was delicious, and I know how I will be using all of my wormy corn from now on! :o

~A

#26 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:47 PM

Cristina, Jaymes, and all....Can we please have a new installment of the Mexican Cooking Project? Please! The corn idea was great. :lol:

What should we make this time?

#27 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:55 PM

Ceviche.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#28 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:57 PM

Ceviche.

Perfect for summer!

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#29 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:17 PM

Agreed, great idea!

Does anyone have a recipe? (edit to add: maybe Jaymes or Cristina can start a new Mexican Cooking project thread for Ceviche). :lol:

#30 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:50 PM

I made the crema de elote soup again on Saturday night for friends, and got rave reviews all around.