47 replies to this topic

#31 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:23 PM

Corn is in peak condition right now so I made crema de elote con chile poblano. What a fantastic soup. In one batch, I stirred in some Spanish chorizo. I was thinking how happy this soup would make me in the dead of winter. Could I freeze it?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#32 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

Corn is in peak condition right now so I made crema de elote con chile poblano. What a fantastic soup. In one batch, I stirred in some Spanish chorizo. I was thinking how happy this soup would make me in the dead of winter. Could I freeze it?

Can you share the recipe (is it already posted in this thread)?

#33 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

It's post #1 on this thread, I believe.

#34 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:56 PM

Duh, sorry. A bit distracted this morning.

Abby, I'd freeze the soup without the crema & add that after thawing.

#35 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

Thanks, I'll do just that.

#36 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

Since it's potato-free, I think it would freeze just fine.

#37 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:31 PM

I was thinking, I wonder who posted the recipe. Lo and behold, 'twas I!

It's soooo good. Abby, I'm glad you like it. Freeze it without the crema, as GG suggested, and it should work well.
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#38 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

Made this last night with the freshest, sweetest corn I've ever had. The soup was almost (almost, mind you :huh: too sweet, so I served it with a big dollop, nearly a sploosh really, of taramousalata smack dab in the middle with a little chiffonade of fresh basil. Very nice indeed and thank you for the recipe!
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#39 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

Great idea. I was also thinking that the addition of shrimp would not suck.

This weekend I'm going to make my winter batch.

#40 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

Liza, this taramasalata thing sounds brilliant!
i need to make this asap but in general i dislike pureed soups - can i keep the soup chunky? or maybe just whizz some of it for thick texture...

speaking of corn in general i must confess that i find american corn too sweet - probably after being conditioned for so long on russian corn (grown for cows mostly although some was canned - canned corn was a delicacy and hard to find - always sold out). Russian corn cobs needed couple of hours of boiling to become edible and kernels were large...
I vaguely recall similar complaints about the corn sweetness on eG mexican board :huh:
(and this is a recurring subject on russian boards here in US)
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#41 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

Helena, I know what you mean about corn being too sweet. When I eat a piece of corn that has a balance of sweetness and real corniness, that's the ultimate. But I don't experience that very often.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#42 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

i need to make this asap but in general i dislike pureed soups - can i keep the soup chunky? or maybe just whizz some of it for thick texture...

helena because I am LAZY, I did not strain the soup, I just whizzed it with my hand blender.

#43 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

In Mexico, they don't use such sweet corn. It's starchier but it has more corn flavor. Some of these new supersweet corns are cloying. I wish we could use old corn that's gone starchy and then add a few drops of Tia ChiChi's Liquid Corn Extract.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#44 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

I know, I know. I've written about the over-sweetness of corn before (probably on eG, Helena). I have a hunch that the next "back-to-old-fashioned-taste-heirloom-seed-project" will be with corn. If it hasn't already happened. I do remember corn tasting "cornier," less sweet when I was very young. RG, do you know anyone involved in retro corn seed searches?
loser magnet

#45 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

That's a great question.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid