47 replies to this topic

#46 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:55 PM

The Seed Savers Exchange has hundreds of them but corn crosses really easily so you have to grow different varieties at least half a mile apart, some say. Not to get on my soapbox, but this is in particualr why it's important to really know what the hell GMO corns are going to do and not to have them pollute the purer strains.

I have the "insider" SSE book so if you're keen on growing heirloom corn, (Sweet, starch or dent), I can help get some seeds for next year. The sweet types tend to be what we remember. But you have to eat it PDQ.

I grew starchy corn once and couldn't give it away.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#47 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

The Seed Savers Exchange has hundreds of them but corn crosses really easily so you have to grow different varieties at least half a mile apart, some say. Not to get on my soapbox, but this is in particualr why it's important to really know what the hell GMO corns are going to do and not to have them pollute the purer strains.

I have the "insider" SSE book so if you're keen on growing heirloom corn, (Sweet, starch or dent), I can help get some seeds for next year. The sweet types tend to be what we remember. But you have to eat it PDQ.

I grew starchy corn once and couldn't give it away.

Interesting. And you're right to be alarmed about GMO crops, corn in particular. I wish that I could grow corn, but I haven't anywhere to garden :huh: .
loser magnet

#48 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:38 PM

cooking with (actually in) fresh corn husks - Wrapped up in summer.
i'm so making this halibut tonight...
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8