3879 replies to this topic

#31 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:33 PM

Beals must have had a brief part. I don't remember her at all. I thought Bacon's was a fun little vignette.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#32 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:45 PM

And I know how much you like her. Yes, she was there, but, as I say, a titchy part.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#33 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 03:01 PM

Beals must have had a brief part. I don't remember her at all. I thought Bacon's was a fun little vignette.

I thought Beals was weak in Devil with a Blue Dress, an otherwise fine little film.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#34 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 03:10 PM

Leave Jennifer alone.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#35 stellabella

stellabella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:44 PM

whatever happened to baby jane? for the xth time. a visit down memory lane. what a great film.

intolerable cruelty even though zeta-jones nad clooney had good chemistry, this film was a snore--lacks the usual coen perversity and visual pranks.

sylvia i thought i would hate it, especially during the first thirty minutes. but it got better, with paltrow as a very convincing pissed off poet--just not sure she was a convincing plath. if anyone else has seen it, i have to ask: did you think this film let hughes off the hook? what's the scoop? was plath an intolerable harpy? according to this screenplay, at least, she seemed to drive him away. my hunch is that plath was nothing like paltrow depicted her, but that paltrow was given the role because she's smart--you know, smart actress portrays smart poet. but i've always imagined plath as far more inscrutable than morose & angry.

#36 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:07 PM

Leave Jennifer alone.

You better leave
You better leave my little girl alone
You better leave
Lord, you better leave my little girl alone
Lord before I get evil man
And I gonna do something wrong

Big Freedia

#37 Priscilla

Priscilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 04:05 PM

Soylent Green. Seen it previously only the onct, during its 1973 original release when I was 13. Really smashingly unexpectedly great movie. Excepting Edward G. Robinson as the old guy, but still, the rest, unexpectedly great. An almost Antonioni-Tarantinoesque use of music to compel and manipulate.

Wanted the 12-year-old to see it before the all-important ending was spoilered -- dunno how we avoided that considering how "it's people" has been a well-used, some gloomy Guses might say overly so, part of my personal lexicon lo, these 30 years.

Next up: 1971's Omega Man, and its first interracial movie kiss. Also its almost-equally-important contribution to the aforementioned personal lexicon: "Join us! Join us!" See also, "Oh, he's a real Matthias," as shorthand for a describing a cult-leader-type personality.

#38 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 04:39 PM

And I know how much you like her. Yes, she was there, but, as I say, a titchy part.

We're getting confused here. Jennifer Beals had a small part (I'm not sure she even spoke) in The Runaway Jury, another movie we rented recently.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#39 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 04:45 PM

Jennifer Beals had a small part (I'm not sure she even spoke) in The Runaway Jury

Probably for the best. :P

Big Freedia

#40 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 05:49 PM

:angry:
Elect-a-lujah

#41 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:24 PM

:angry:

What a Feeling!

Big Freedia

#42 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:54 AM

Appalachian Journey: Yo Yo Ma/Edgar Meyer/Mark O'Connor (not too good; I like Yo Yo Ma in a classical capacity better; performance in NY coming up -- I'm looking forward to seeing him perform live for the first time)

L.A. Confidential

The Cider House Rules

Driving Miss Daisy

The Color Purple (a second viewing)

#43 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 01:23 AM

Courtesy of cabrales, Eat Drink Man Woman became one of my favorites.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#44 pixelchef

pixelchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:36 AM

Brother Bear (don't laugh, Disney is incredible... they make great "date" films ;) )
Matrix: Revolutions
The Rundown
Contact (old favourite)
Braveheart (other old favourite).

#45 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:36 AM

Brother Bear (don't laugh, Disney is incredible... they make great "date" films ;) )
Matrix: Revolutions
The Rundown
Contact (old favourite)
Braveheart (other old favourite).

Pix, do you have the problem that people in the "business' have re food (deconstructing and criticising food on the plate to an extreme). That is do you concentrate on the drawings and matte work to an extreme, thereby taking some pleasure away from the overall experience of just watching the movie?

Like my wife will tell me..."Oh, shut up and just eat!" :D
yer 'avin' a larf, mate