188 replies to this topic

#1 banh cuon

banh cuon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:29 PM

Met a girlfriend at the bar at Esca last night for a light dinner and drinks.

Started with a very well-made negroni, followed by a ho-hum prosecco.

We pretty much ordered every crudo on the menu, and all the seafood was exceedingly fresh and just perfectly dressed with various combinations of olive oil, sea salt, chilis, herbs, and citrus fruits. Our favorites were the super briny, tender, luscious razor clam with chilis and mint and the crunchy, mild abalone with a tangerine dressing. Crudo portions are quite small, more tastes than real appetizer sized portions. The best thing is that although we tried about eight different kinds of crudo, none of the flavors got repetitive or dull. Each seafood item is perfectly matched to its own unique and very complementary dressing.

We split the spicy lobster spagettini as our next course. The saucing and the lobster wer perfectly cooked, but unfortunately, as sometimes happens at Lupa, the noodles were a bit too al dente for my tastes (I like quite a firm bite, but this was close to raw in the middle).

Accompanied the meal with a superb bottle of Silvio Jermann "Were Dreams" Chardonnay (2000).

Skipped dessert in favor of the Bassett's ice cream served at the Little Pie Company two doors down from Esca, but our plans were foiled since they had closed half an hour prior.

Service was excellent; the bartender was quite gracious and took good care of us all evening, and the food arrived at well timed intervals. The restaurant was surprisingly empty at 9pm.

Overall an excellent, low-key dinner of the freshest seafood on a hot summer's night.

#2 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:06 PM

Accompanied the meal with a superb bottle of Silvio Jermann "Were Dreams" Chardonnay (2000).

IMHO the best italian chardonnay- bar none.
Also like Jermann's Vintage Tunina

#3 banh cuon

banh cuon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:35 PM

IMHO the best italian chardonnay- bar none.
Also like Jermann's Vintage Tunina

It was a fantastic wine; one of the best Italian whites I've ever tried. Will seek out the Tunina. Thanks for the recommendation, Scamhi.

#4 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:01 PM

Wine along these lines that I'd recommend,with much enthusiasm....Ribolla Gialla from Radikon,La Castellada,Movia,Conte D'Attimis-Maniago.Other whites from Gravner,Movia.Available here and there;Italian Wine Merchants,Chambers St. Wines,Astor Pl.Wines.
Stung by Nettles

#5 banh cuon

banh cuon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:23 PM

Wine along these lines that I'd recommend,with much enthusiasm....Ribolla Gialla from Radikon,La Castellada,Movia,Conte D'Attimis-Maniago.Other whites from Gravner,Movia.Available here and there;Italian Wine Merchants,Chambers St. Wines,Astor Pl.Wines.

Thanks wingding, will check out these wines as well. Looks like a trip to Italian Wine Merchants is in the near future; hopefully they've improved their insufferable service since last time I was there in the fall.

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the report. I will put this on my list to re-visit: I gave up after a scandlously bad lunch with Cabby, but I must admit that was several years ago now.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:22 PM

I like Esca. I loved them when they had the wine bar there, but since they took it out, they are a little further down on the list.

They are tops for the theatre district, no doubt. And their wine list is great. But usually the food isn't quite as good as Babbo, and the crudo's, while lovely, don't compare to top sushi places, at least for me.

#8 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:46 AM

I agree with beachfan. Ate there tonight. The salt overwhelmed the taste of most of the crudos. The zuppa de pesce was very tasty, however. The ingredients were fresh and fully flavored. The broth was very tasty too. But again, very salty. Service was vile. Not everyone ( we were seven) got bread and butter plates at the same time, I reminded the server to bring a friend's drink an hour after he had ordered it, another friend never got his salad and the music was awful and blasting.
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#9 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:49 AM

I agree with Beachfan. Ate there tonight. The salt overwhelmed the taste of most of the crudos. The zuppa de pesce was very tasty, however. The ingredients were fresh and fully flavored. The broth was very tasty too. But again, very salty. Service was vile. Not everyone ( we were seven) got bread and butter plates at the same time, I reminded the server to bring a friend's drink an hour after he had ordered it, another friend never got his salad and the music was awful and blasting.

But what did friends A and B think?
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#10 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,451 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:55 AM

I forget who was A and who was B, but the husband of one friend seemed to think there wasn't quite enough food for the price. Friend A seemed to enjoy her meal, especially the crudo. Friends B's husband (the restaurant researcher) had eaten there before and liked it well enough. He had stumbled on Del Frisco's in Zagat, and didn't realize it was a chain.

#11 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:02 AM

Did your feelings of responsibility impact your pleasure or are you past that?
curb your god

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#12 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,451 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:03 AM

Well, I wanted them to like it more, of course.

#13 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:04 AM

Just read your new signature line, Rosie. It's wrong. Everybody's got class--low.
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#14 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:04 AM

I feel a new sig line coming on...

edit: Rose, you left out a line...."everybody you watch, 's got his brains in his crotch..."
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#15 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:11 AM

I left lots out. Having the whole song looked a little piggish. :P
curb your god

CERES GALLERY