373 replies to this topic

#361 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

Paul and I will be there with my friend Ruth. Thanks for changing the day to accommodate me!
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#362 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

We took the kids tubing up at Snoqualmie Summit on Sunday and stopped at Macky's at Gilman Village in Issaquah for dim sum on the way home. I'd been for lunch once before and thought it was good, but not remarkable. I would still say that about most of the standard dim sum, but the BBQ pork and roasted pork with cracklin' are amazing. Worth the trip for those items alone.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#363 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

We took the kids tubing up at Snoqualmie Summit on Sunday and stopped at Macky's at Gilman Village in Issaquah for dim sum on the way home. I'd been for lunch once before and thought it was good, but not remarkable. I would still say that about most of the standard dim sum, but the BBQ pork and roasted pork with cracklin' are amazing. Worth the trip for those items alone.

We went a second time and again, there was no match between the menu prices and the bill. All items bumped fifty cents or more. Plus, the server recommended we get a vegetable - our bad not to ask, but baby bok choy for $10? Still, overall, we like the food and that you can get dim sum fresh to order at dinner time. Missed the roasted pork.

In Rainier Beach, Hong Kong Seafood has reopened at 9400 Rainier Ave. S. Had a nice dim sum there a couple of weekends ago - but we went too early. The things I like most were rolling out at 11:30. Big room. 4 of us ate for less than $40. Nothing left to take home.

#364 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

We went to Tea Garden with some friends on Sunday. Maybe it was because of the SuperBowl, but the place was pretty empty. It started filling up closer to noon but it never got full. The food was really, really good. Some of the best I've had in a long time. There was a really good eggplant/shrimp thing and the tofu cake with shrimp on top was fantastic. The tofu was so creamy and delicious.

We're meeting again in a couple of weeks and want to go someplace different. Where do you think is the best place in the ID these days?

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#365 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

We ended up going to Purple Dot. All of the baked pieces were really good. My favorite was an egg roll like thing done in a tofu wrapper and baked, not steamed like usual. The steamed dishes were uniformly bad. All the skins were too thick and the shrimp didn't have that nice snap like it should.

I was surprised to see how empty it was at 11:30 on Saturday. After tasting the food - maybe I shouldn't have been.

#366 croseattle

croseattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

From Seattle Met:

"Bako - The Canton and cocktails destination that brought new life to the old Jade Pagoda space now does brunch every Saturday and Sunday from 10-3. What this means: a destination for dim sum on Capitol Hill. Plates include dumplings of shrimp or pork, crispy daikon cakes and, on the slightly less Chinese end of the spectrum, breakfast sliders. Prices start at $5.50 a plate."

Obviously more pricey than the ID, but who's willing to give it a go with me?

-croseattle

#367 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

The reviews I've seen/heard of Bako have ranged from mediocre to terrible. YMMV.

#368 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

cro, I'm willing to take a risk if you are, I've been craving DimSum!

eta: any dimsum will do if the tighe scared you off :)
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#369 croseattle

croseattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

Ha. I'm totally on board with either. Maybe not this weekend, since peoples will be Memorial daying, but maybe next?

#370 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

...as if anyone takes my opinion seriously around here....

#371 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Ha. I'm totally on board with either. Maybe not this weekend, since peoples will be Memorial daying, but maybe next?

I'm booked :( How about June 10th?
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#372 croseattle

croseattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'm booked :( How about June 10th?

Aw, rain check. I am going to be out of town the 6-20 in June.

#373 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Aw, rain check. I am going to be out of town the 6-20 in June.

Some months are just like that. We can try again for July maybe :>
- Athenaeus

#374 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Went back to Tea Garden this weekend. We didn't have the eggplant or tofu this time. The rock star this time was the shu mai. It was fantastic. The har gow was just okay but the cheong fun was really good too.