Dim Sum

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2005 - 04:52 AM

I am so sorry to say that due to a sudden, unanticipated need to go to Walla Walla tomorrow, and the equally sudden and unexpected demise of the laptop I need to take with me, Shel and I will not be able to join you tomorrow.

Can I just say how much I'd rather be having dim sum than shopping for a new laptop and hitting the highway?

#32 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:48 PM

Abra, I'm sorry you and Shel couldn't make it.

This place gets 2 thumbs up! The overall quality of the food is very good. The flavors were clean and fresh tasting (not greasy) and delicious. The interior is also light, attractive and clean looking, the servers are nice, and our entire group fit around their large round table with the lazy susan in the middle.

Unfortunately we didn't get any photos, so you will just have to take our word for it, but we ate a ton of good food (including we had leftovers to take home), had a couple of types of tea, and the total bill including tip was only $12 per person. A great deal!

I will let Rocky or some of the others describe the dishes. I can't begin to describe my favorites, because there were so many.

One note, the restaurant has had a name change. It now goes by King's Chinese Restaurant (no longer Mings).

I think we should come here again in a couple of months. Also a dinner here ordering off their extensive regular menu looks good, too. Free range chicken is available here(!). I like the idea of Chinese restaurants offering that type of choice in quality.

#33 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:01 AM

I hope someone had braised ckicken feet for me. It was 97 in Walla Walla today, and the only Asian restaurants I have been able to find have either Panda or Buffet in their names.

#34 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:13 AM

I hope someone had braised ckicken feet for me.  It was 97 in Walla Walla today, and the only Asian restaurants I have been able to find have either Panda or Buffet in their names.

Oh my gosh that's hot!

I plucked off one chicken toe to eat today :lol: . I was too full to eat any more!

#35 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:17 AM

I love dimdum with a large group. You get to try so many more things and Ming's came through like a champ. Uhm okay as far as I can remember to what we had, it started with two different teas, a Pu-Erh, and a Shiang-Pien. Then spareribs, hum bao both steamed and baked, bbq pork dumplings in a flaky dough, shiao long bao - soup dumplings, turnip cake, conge with pork and thousand year old eggs, chicken feet, har gao, pea vine gao, chinese chive gao, scallop onhar gao, curried squid stuffed into fish balls, fried taro balls, fried bean curd wrappers stuffed with seafood and water chestnuts, tripe with ginger and scallions, bean curd wrappers stuffed with shrimp and meat, chang fun - rice noodles stuffed with bbq pork, chang fun with beef, chang fun with shrimp, tofu shrimp toast, lo mai gai - sticky rice in taro leaf, shu mai, egg rolls, custard tarts, pineapple bread with sweet bean paste, sesame balls, and mango custard with evaporated milk. If I remember more I will edit this post.

Rocky

#36 white lotus

white lotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:30 AM

Oh my Rocky, that was another feast thanks to your organization. The teas were wonderful but I still had to take a nap when I got home. It was great seeing everyone. My favorites were the lo mai gai - sticky rice in taro leaf, tofu shrimp toast, spareribs and turnip cake. I'll have to try the soup dumplings on the next trip. Thanks Rocky... :lol: wl

#37 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:42 PM

Thanks, Rocky for organizing a great dim sum (dim yum!) brunch. It was great to see everyone there. Dim Sum really is great with such a large group since you get to try so many things. It was also a great bargain at $12.00 per person tax and tip included.

(I ate a nice, plump chicken foot just for you, Abra. Sorry you two couldn't make it, but we'll do it again soon.)
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#38 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 04:48 PM

Wed. we met some friends at Kings/Mings in Bellevue for Dim Sum. Food quality was great (again), but the service was just Horrible. It's not like they were overly busy mid week either. I was sorely tempted to help myself to the carts as they would just leave them parked by the table, but disappear for long periods of time. Is it appropriate to help oneself to items in the cart when waitresses are not around? ;)

They really neglected us.

#39 buckytom

buckytom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:36 PM

i wish i could come visit you guys. never had really good dim sum. it has always been bland, or heavy and greasy, or just blah. maybe someone in nyc can point me to a good place.

btw, happy birfday rockdoggydog!!!!!

#40 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:00 PM

i wish i could come visit you guys. never had really good dim sum. it has always been bland, or heavy and greasy, or just blah. maybe someone in nyc can point me to a good place.

buckytom, come on out here! We'd love to meet you ;) .

And thanks for the heads up about Rocky's birthday. I sent him happy birthday wishes on the Birthday thread Here

#41 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:53 PM

Thanks buckytom, anytime you're out here we're always mroe than happy to eat dim sum.

Rocky

#42 jkonick

jkonick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:56 PM

Just thought I'd add to this thread a link to my blog - www.seattledimsum.blogspot.com. It's a Hong Kong native friend and my quest to eat at every dim sum place in the ID - and maybe even Seattle. For some reason we keep ending up at Jade garden though...

Also, my friend is unfortunately moving away in two weeks, so if anyone is interested in meeting up for dim sum I could use some new dining companions, and the more the merrier (and more dishes, more importantly!).

#43 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:21 AM

Always up for dim dum.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#44 jkonick

jkonick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:30 AM

Anyone interested in getting dim sum next week? My dining partner has officially moved so I"m looking for replacements... I want to check out a place a little east of the ID (on 20th and Jackson I think). It's called Seattle Tofu or something like that (I actually think it has a few different names on the awning...) and it has a sign out front that says they serve dim sum. I'm pretty sure they also make tofu there. Sounds interesting. Anyone up for it?

#45 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:19 AM

Sounds interesting, pick a day and I can probably make it.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant