3426 replies to this topic

#3151 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

I've been meaning to try ugly baby on smith. it's the guy who had khao soi in redhook, the menu says one dish is brutally spicy.

I havent been yet, but plan to go when we return from Italy. Just want to clarify that this isn't the guy who was dumped by the owner of Khao Soi in Red Hook. This is her cooking partner, who worked with her in the kitchen. She's a co-owner of Ugly Baby but doesn't live in NYC longer, so this guy is the co-owner/chef.

This space available… contact owner.

#3152 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

The new Mads Refslund restaurant.

#3153 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

Sounds like something you get after getting bit by a dog.

#3154 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,802 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

The new Mads Reflund restaurant.

This is happening???????
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3155 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:08 PM

The new Mads Reflsund restaurant.

This is happening???????

Why - has it been that long??????  :cool:

https://ny.eater.com...burg-restaurant

And you're probably gonna like where it is, too...

The new Williamsburg restaurant from Nordic food craze pioneer Mads Refslund now has an address: 93-99 North 10th Street, between Wythe Avenue and Berry Street.

The Post reports that the to-be-named project from the former Acme chef will likely open by spring, taking over 4,000-square-feet of space for a restaurant that seats 40 people in a dining room and 40 people at a bar.

#3156 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,802 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

I'm not gonna like it when the L train closes.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3157 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:29 AM

I just saw - 40 people at "a bar"!

#3158 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,025 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:17 PM

There's a bonfire in my restaurant — the way the caveman was cooking. And the other one is ice. One part of the kitchen is a big huge iceberg, where we have tons of raw things. Everything is clean with natural flavors. This is the future of dining — be more simple, and don't pollute the food. It's not really a restaurant. It's more like a kitchen. A kitchen with a restaurant inside of it.

Hate that polluted food.

#3159 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

The new Mads Reflund restaurant.

This is happening???????

Depends on what the definition of "is" is.

#3160 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

The first, smaller Pok Pok Ny space (most recently Pok Pok Phat Thai) is now a place called Popina. Owners worked at Maialino. It's Italian and Southern, with reasonable prices, and sounds like it has a very good wine list. Of course, Carla Hall couldn't hack it out here. But it might be enough to get me to cross the BQE.

#3161 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,802 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

I'm posting a favorable review later today or tomorrow.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3162 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

I know where I'll be going in February.

Japanese Chain Where Diners Fish For Their Dinner Plans February NYC Debut

zuao.0.jpg

One of Japan’s more outrageous restaurant concepts — where diners literally fish for their dinner inside the restaurant — is set to hit Chelsea this February. Zauo, under construction now at 152 West 24th Street, is shaping up to be quite the unique addition to the New York City dining scene: An actual boat is currently being built inside the restaurant in which diners will be able to reel in fish from a tank stocked with ten different kinds of fish.
In Japan, diners start by grabbing poles and purchasing bait before they “target the prey,” reads the website, though diners having a rough time can ask servers for advice. Once a diner has caught a fish, it’s turned over to staff, which takes it to be grilled, tempura-fried, or served as sushi.

Eater

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#3163 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

I ate in a sushi restaurant in Vancouver, BC, with seating like that, but I don't think it was over a fish tank.

If you do try it (although I suspect you are being ironic), thanks in advance for taking one for the team.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3164 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

Are the worms included?

#3165 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

It's a shame that Sam Sifton, angler extrordinaire, isn't still the Times food critic.

And yes Susanne, I was being ironic.  I wouldn't be caught dead in a place like that.  Even when I was 25.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China