3289 replies to this topic

#3286 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:51 PM

Randall's BBQ - opening in the old, horrendous kosher pizza place, in the same group of stores as The Pickle Guys.

They claim to be opening in May.

Well, August isn't that much different than May, is it? I believe the actual opening is this coming Sunday.

offers brisket, pulled pork and spare ribs, of course, but also smoked duck, lamb ribs, and, in a nod to the neighborhood, smoked chopped chicken livers and homemade pastrami. He takes other liberties, coming up with smoked meatloaf, New England clam cakes and country-fried eggplant. The space is compact, with 44 seats, vintage touches and communal tables. Sandwiches are served on Kossar’s bialys, and Mr. Male gets his pickles from the Pickle Guys nearby. Craft beers, bourbon and tequila dominate the bar service.

I don't understand the usage of Kossar's bialys (well of course I do, but I don't), which under new ownership have gone from bad to horrid.

Just use wonder bread.

I popped in last night solo, before heading to a show in Williamsburg.

Friggin' awful.  My grandmother's brisket was less dry. And her turkey was on an equal dryness with this one.  Zero smoke flavor. How they actually can serve this is beyond me.

29656475287_19161b2b61_z.jpg

Not the end of the story. The second draft beer I ordered was flat as a board. It was obvious without even tasting, and obviously should have been noticed by the person who drew it.  But, when I told her that it was not good, I got a bit of an evil eye, no apology but just asked what I wanted instead. I happened to be sitting at the bar with a friend, a local restaurant owner, who couldn't believe it.

So, in addition to lousy food, expect less than perfect service.  Wow.

Oh - and here's an earlier review from Gothamist.

#3287 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:01 PM

My grandmother's brisket was less dry. And her turkey was on an equal dryness with this one.  Zero smoke flavor.

Well they SAID they wanted their 'cue to be true to the neighborhood.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3288 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:10 PM

Not nyc - anyone been to The Grange in Warwick or the Debruce in the Catskills (in f&w) today?

#3289 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:49 AM

Sean Brock visited NYC this summer and ate at: Gabriel Kreuther, Gunter Seeger, Eleven Madison Park, and L'atelier de Joel Robuchon (presumably in memoriam)

I found the omission of new/hip places in favor of the old guard interesting.

Sounds like Sean Brock enjoys a free fine dining meal

#3290 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:26 PM

Does anyone have a report on Mala Project or Pinch?