3368 replies to this topic

#3361 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,947 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, Trapizzino I also found fine but uncompelling. The bread was good, the fillings were good if a little one-note, but the ratio was off. Too much bread, I’d tear half off and eat it open-face.

So, like one or two visits and that's it, right? 

To try and find out it's not something you're dying for.

#3362 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:55 PM

Am going to be in the neighbourhood tonight and wonder if I should dine at 701West. It's an hotel restaurant [and there doesn't seem to be a proper website—I got directed to three different websites, none of which contained any useful content], and I somehow doubt 'swank' and 'flagship fine-dining' suit Times Square [the only choice is a $110 prix fixe?], but maybe spillover from Hudson Yards will properly gentrify Hells Kitchen?

I must admit I'm intrigued by the wine-centric concept, and

An appetizer of roasted quail au poivre finished with lacquered honey is matched with a Grenache, and guinea hen roasted whole is paired with two wines: bold Borolo for the dark meat and Barbaresco for the light.

does sound like my sort of thing. [Some of the flavours on the menu read a bit too 'American' for my sensibility, actually.]

Edited: they don't accept same-day reservations after 3, though every night this week seems to offer plenty of tables. Sort of dumb.

#3363 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,004 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

Well, John Frazer is worth checking out . . . .

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3364 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

I had the eggplant version when they were located on (I think) Orchard Street. I thought it was fine, but not compelling enough to encourage a second visit.

I think that's Trapizzino on Orchard Street. Different than Tramezzini, neither of which is worth going 2 minutes out of your way for.

The cool little weird place I like on E. Houston is Gaia Cafe. A little bit of the soup nazi thing going on, but fun and good.

I love reading Gaia Cafe's yelp responses.. she is a trip.  Plus BYOB, i really want to go here.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3365 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

Pro tip - Gaia often sells out of the specials by dinner, so lunch is a better bet if you want the widest selection.

#3366 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,947 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

Secondary pro tip - you have to have a reservation to go to dinner

#3367 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:11 PM

oh, i have learned the process after her yelp reviews.. the website is funny too, such detailed instructions. 

#3368 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,441 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:21 AM

It’s been there forever and I have never really thought of going in.

#3369 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

Finally made it to win son last night... I have been sung the praises of this Taiwanese Restaurant... I have to say, it was ok.  Thought everything was a little muddy.  The clear winner were the pan fried pork buns.  We started with cucumbers.. They were super salted and kind of one note.. It needed an acid.. Then we had the pork buns, then lou ran fan which was a rice dish with pork.  The rice was overcooked, it was more like at the end of hot pot where they throw rice and an egg into the soup... This was the super muddy dish.. Fried eggplants were like batter fried little sticks of eggplant and there was a labna type sauce..  

Dinner was like 60 bucks with no liquor.. Maybe I will go back and try other things, has anyone had any experience.