3395 replies to this topic

#31 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. Nice enough room, too. Chef came out to say hello and show me the men, nice guy. (It's not open for lunch, so I was peeking in).
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#32 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

to say hello and show me the men

does that happen often?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#33 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:43 PM

Heh.

He was pretty tasty looking, now that I think about it.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#34 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:13 PM

Everyone now goes there for their blood sausage (don't we, Orik?).

Yes we do. Between that, the kasha kishka and the occasional Soon Dae, I think I'm consuming as much blood as my transylvanian ancestors.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#35 Guest_Suzanne F_*

Guest_Suzanne F_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:04 AM

Everyone now goes there for their blood sausage (don't we, Orik?).

Yes we do. Between that, the kasha kishka and the occasional Soon Dae, I think I'm consuming as much blood as my transylvanian ancestors.

Do you get the kishka at Teresa's, :o or somewhere else?

#36 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:27 PM

http://www.nynewsday...ngout-headlines

http://www.nynewsday...ngout-headlines

FYI: Josh Ozersky is aka Mr. Cutlets.

#37 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:38 PM

New pizza place opening near us, on the east side of 1st Ave. near 92nd St. Walked by today - they are opening tomorrow. Went in and talked to the owner and the pizzaman, had a long discussion about crust. They gave me 3 different experiments to try - I voted for the thinnest crust and told them it needs to be more done, with a little char. They're working toward that. Not bad at all...decent sauce, not to sweet, good amount of cheese, meaning not too much and not too little. Please please let them get it right, or at least decent.

#38 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:05 AM

The number of Romanian restaurants in Sunnyside has just gotten smaller by one. Harmony, 39-23 Queens Blvd., a standby for Romanian treats such as mici sausage and skirt steak, has closed. Harmony II, 47-57 41st St., also in Sunnyside, 718-784-4651, its sister restaurant, will now be rechristened Harmony, and should continue to be just as good.

I was unaware that there are any Romanian restaurants left here. Maybe worth a try...

Suzanne -- both at Teresa's* and across the street and then cooked at home.

* the trouble with Teresa's is that you always end up with some uncertainty as to whether you're composed more of yourself or of the food you've just eaten, due to the size of the dishes.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#39 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:52 AM

I was unaware that there are any Romanian restaurants left here. Maybe worth a try...

Gam ani ba! Gam ani ba!

#40 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:48 PM

http://nymetro.com/n...openings/14471/

Especially for Caseophile: note the hotdog joints opening.

#41 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:01 PM

The Tides hot dog offshoot is opening much quicker than I expected (remember, this was a Mouthfuls scoop):

"The nearby DASH Dogs, slated to open later this month, shares a similar philosophy. Owners Steven Yee and Allen Leung, of the seafood shack Tides, tasted dozens of tube steaks before they settled on Empire Kosher, and their virtuous veggie dog comes from a Buddhist temple in Queens. Following in Gray’s footsteps, DASH will offer a two-dog special for $3.50
127 Rivington St., nr. Norfolk St.; 212-254-8885"

From Omni's link above. I wonder if they are sticking with the idea of making their own buns?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#42 Caseophile

Caseophile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:11 PM

Especially for Caseophile:  note the hotdog joints opening.

Got it. Thanks.

Nice of them to open the hot dog places so close together, to facilitate my tasting. :o

#43 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:55 PM

Barça 18. The Steve Hanson/Eric Ripert restaurant opening shortly in the old Park Avalon space.

Or maybe not.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#44 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:00 PM

Can't remember the name - but the Bar Veloce people are opening a Spanish tapas place next door.

#45 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:04 PM

Bar Ahn--right next door to Tia Pol. The owner told my neighbor that they will be serving 'Korean style' food. This place is even smaller than Tia Pol, if you can believe it.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.