80 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:03 PM

At DiPalo's today. Bought some excellent speck from the Alto Adige, among other things. Discussed the region in general - they are about to start bringing in a bunch of cheeses from the region, and some traditional "hard breads." Stuff should start arriving in October.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 banh cuon

banh cuon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:24 PM

Awesome; great info. Have been looking for decent speck since being disappointed by the recent offerings from Citarella and Dean and Deluca. DiPalo's is always such a joy to visit, great service and really really really well informed staff. Plus exceedingly generous with the free samples.

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:39 PM

The speck is very good.

However, the fresh mozzarella I bought there was disappointing. Outer creamy layer quite thin, and the rest of the ball was dry and rubbery. My recent experiences with fresh mozzarella at Agata & Valentina have been much better.

At friends last night for dinner, and they served fresh mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes - mozz was good, and turned out to be from Agata...
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:56 PM

I've found DiPalo's mozzarella to be variable. Several months ago they were selling smaller mozzarella balls, and they were just about perfect.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

I bought some Brinata, which is fresh Pecorino Toscana, at DiPalo's on Wednesday. Mild, nice tasty rind, I like it.

#6 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

La Tur has been my cheese of choice lately, and I have scamhi to thank for that.

#7 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:54 AM

You and me both.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#8 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:34 AM

pssst next time you go... get the butter in the yellow can
Burro Soresina

#9 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:59 PM

That's actually my current house butter, though I don't love it. Tell me your buttery thoughts on it.

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:43 PM

I will thank scamhi for the La Tur tip also. I had to abandon a visit to Di Palo's, foolishly scheduled during the holidays. Would have been a two hour wait, I guess. A mere forty-five minutes on Saturday, though, and the speck is heavenly - velvety and subtly smoked, much milder than German speck. I was less amazed by the boutique wood-smoked coffee produced by the proprietor of a coffee bar in Rome. I think Bustelo has spoiled me forever.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#11 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

If and when possible,arrive at DePalos' at opening on a Sunday[9;30]...no wait,lots of attention,and a lesson on something or other from Lou.And they've got a nice wheel of Bitto in the cooler this week.
Stung by Nettles

#12 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:41 PM

This demonstrates synchronicity. They were on the phone to Otto while I waiting in line - and I ate Bitto for the first time at Savoy on Saturday.

Oo-ee-oo-ee...
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#13 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

The grana made from buffalo milk. $9.99 a lb. Slightly chewier texture than Parmesan, creamier, deep flavor, deep yellow. Mmm.
Elect-a-lujah

#14 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

Attention La Tur fans: Brunet is available at DiPalo's. I haven't seen it before, but maybe I just hadn't noticed it. Here's more from Murray's website:

Brunet: Like the popular tre latte Rocchetta, Brunet is a dense, cakey, creamy puck from Piemonte in northern Italy. Made of 100% pasteurized goat milk, the flavor is salty, tangy and lactic with a characteristic underlying acidity, which cuts the voluptuous, mouth-coating texture. Aged one month.

#15 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

La Tur has been my cheese of choice lately, and I have scamhi to thank for that.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this but I must pass along this information. Here's the shameful part: I've had a La Tur in my fridge since about June. But here's the thing. You know how you especially love that gooey exterior of the La Tur? Well my long-aged specimen became all gooey. I had it on toast with smoked salmon and salsa verde. Incredible.