#1 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:23 PM

Chefs and Farms map
(San Francisco is on the last pages, and this is a work in progress. Eventually it will be nationwide, and I'll post the link elsethread.)

A fellow food blogger, Sam, of Becks & Posh, asked us if we could help her find out places that support local farms. (She's in San Francisco.) I was able to help a little, and then I thought, "What the hell. Ask the farmers."

The first one to answer was my friend, Joe Schirmer, of Dirty Girl Produce, who was kind enough to send me his entire list of restaurants who buy his lovely fruits and vegetables. I wrote up the list with as many links to restaurant websites as I could find.

I have edited this post, and will continue to edit it, as farmers send me their lists of chef customers.

Coastal California chefs supporting farms (at my blog): this is an ongoing project.

FARMS & GROWERS
Dirty Girl Produce
Mariquita Farm
Two Small Farms
Everett Family Farm
Rancho Gordo
Sunshine Organic (aka VB Farms)

Here is the beginning of the list for restaurants supporting local farms in the San Francisco, Monterey Bay, and parts north areas (an asterisk indicates mention by more than one farmer...two asterisks equals two farmers).

SAN FRANCISCO
A-16
Acme Chophouse
Americano (in the newly-opened Hotel Vitale at the Embarcadero)
Aziza
Bix
Blue Plate
**Boulette's Larder (Ferry Plaza building)
Boulevard
Coco500
Delfina
Fifth Floor
Foreign Cinema
Frog Hollow Bakery (Ferry Plaza building)
Globe (no website)
Greens
Hawthorne Lane
Hayes Street Grill
**Incanto
Jack Falstaff
Jardinière
**Kokkari
Le Petit Robert
Levende Lounge
Liberty Cafe (no website)
Market Bar
Maverick
Mijita
**Millennium
**Quince
Range
Rose Pistola (no website)
**Slanted Door
Slow Club
Town's End (no website)
Waterfront
**Zuni (no website)
Zuppa

OAKLAND, BERKELEY, EAST BAY
**Chez Panisse
Dopo
Eccolo
Oliveto

SANTA CRUZ
Engfer Pizza Works
Gabriella Cafe (Santa Cruz)
Oswald (downtown Santa Cruz: no website)
Pearl Alley Bistro (Santa Cruz)
Ristorante Avanti (Mission Street, west side of Santa Cruz: no official website)
River Cafe (River Street, one block from Highway One, Santa Cruz)
Seabreeze Cafe
Sestri (Santa Cruz)
Soif Wine Bar (Santa Cruz)
Theo's Restaurant (Soquel)

SILICON VALLEY/LOS GATOS
Manresa (Los Gatos)

SOUTH BAY/PENINSULA
Piatti Santa Clara

MARIN
Marin Sun Farms Butcher Shop & Restaurant in Point Reyes Station
Pizzeria Picco in Larkspur

NAPA AND SONOMA
French Laundry
Pilar

MONTEREY, CARMEL, PACIFIC GROVE

Stokes Restaurant
Passionfish

. . . . . . . . . . .

I've got queries out to some other farmers. I'll edit this list as I go.

Edited by tanabutler, 20 November 2006 - 10:41 PM.

"Nana, I just counted to infinity really fast!" Logan, age 5-1/2

#2 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:48 PM

The new Hayes Valley spot Sauce should probably go on the list. From their menu:

At Sauce we use the finest local providers and the freshest ingredients.

I've been meaning to try this place, but haven't managed to yet.

I'd imagine Boulevard would qualify. I know Nancy Oakes does at least some of her shopping at the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market, because I've seen her there.

Thanks for this list, tana!
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#3 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:18 PM

That says something about you that you would recognize her, Squeat.

I've edited the list, and organized it a little. Hopefully some food bloggers I know who are doing the Eat Local Challenge will be able to contribute some things, too.

#4 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

Hopefully nothing bad? :o

Marin Organic has a list of restaurants and cafes that feature products from its member farms on its website.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#5 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:37 PM

Hopefully nothing bad? :o

Marin Organic has a list of restaurants and cafes that feature products from its member farms on its website.

Bad? Silly. Good!

#6 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:28 PM

Julia Wiley, of Mariquita Farm and Two Small Farms, sent me her list. I've added it in, above.

#7 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:46 PM

Having seen Mijita and Jardinière on the list, I suspected we could add ACME Chophouse out at the ballpark, since Traci des Jardins is also managing chef there.

Sure enough, from their website:

ACME is about healthful produce: naturally raised, locally raised meats and poultry, locally caught fish, and just-picked produce from small organic farms. All of the meat -- and meat is a must-have at ACME -- is naturally raised without hormones or antibiotics. Every night the menu offers meat that is grass-fed and healthier for people and the planet. ACME offers a great raw bar, a bar menu that features sandwiches, ribs and other snacks and a selection of desserts that are honest and seasonal. ACME offers lunch when there is an afternoon baseball game. Our menu changes to reflect the best products our local farmers and fishermen can offer.

Edit: Glad to see Slow Club on the list. One of my favorites.

Edited by Squeat Mungry, 15 August 2005 - 11:47 PM.

#8 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:57 PM

On her list, Julia Wiley noted, "The following are restaurants that buy from us every week, rain or shine."

I like that.

#9 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:54 PM

Tana, did you see that the Becks & Posh folks got a great response from Phil West at Range?

I also would like to let you know that we do support as many local farmers and purveyors as possible.

#10 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

Tana, did you see that the Becks & Posh folks got a great response from Phil West at Range?

I also would like to let you know that we do support as many local farmers and purveyors as possible.

I did see that--very impressive. I love Sam's blog. She's so down to earth, and doesn't take herself too seriously. She's also very generous with her time: she coordinates a whole "school" of food bloggers who are trying to learn the ropes.

I just read in my New Farm newsletter in Andy Griffin's column, about Traci Des Jardins battling Mario Batali on "Iron Chef." And then in the SF Chronicle, SHE WON!

#11 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:25 PM

I just read in my New Farm newsletter in Andy Griffin's column, about Traci Des Jardins battling Mario Batali on "Iron Chef." And then in the SF Chronicle, SHE WON!

Awesome!! Thanks for the link. When I first read that that was going to happen, it was the first time I really wished I had a TV since mine blew up. Would have loved to have seen that.

#12 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:46 PM

Hee hee hee. From the article:

Did she get to bring California ingredients?

"No," [Des Jardins] frowns. "And when there was a comment that a dish wasn't quite as good as it could have been, I told them it's because my ingredients came from New York!"

#13 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:49 PM

Hee. That was my favorite part, too.

#14 Gary Soup

Gary Soup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:09 AM

It would be useful to know what you mean by "local" farms. Do you mean small farms? Organic farms? It seems that around here, "local" includes farms from the Central Valley. If location is the main criteria, then I dare say our "local" farms are supported by a large majority of the restaurants in the entire continental U.S.A.

#15 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:20 AM

It would be useful to know what you mean by "local" farms.  Do you mean small farms? Organic farms?  It seems that around here, "local" includes farms from the Central Valley.  If location is the main criteria, then I dare say our "local" farms are supported by a large majority of the restaurants in the entire continental U.S.A.

I do not think this is the case at all. I do not think that your "average" restaurant knows which farm sends produce into the kitchen at all.

AT ALL. But please feel free to ask your favorite restaurants, as I ask mine.

I support sustainable agriculture, and that doesn't always mean the US government's definition of "organic," which has been bastardized.

I know my farmers. I'm happy about that.