113 replies to this topic

#16 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:09 PM

As soon as our house hunting from hell pays off we hopefully will be able to host an event but the 60 year old 4 burner electric is not a sight I'd like to introduce you all to!! :lol:
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#17 GourmetLight$

GourmetLight$

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

I really want to meet all of you, but can't host until the Mortgage Guy believes my earnings, OR we win the lottery. Odds are on in the meantime!

Cheers,
Carolyn
~~~~~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

#18 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:40 PM

Steve has come to the rescue and says that he'll host this event. I think we ought to make his house our Official Food and Wine Recipe Test Site. However, he's off to the mountains for a few days, so we'll wait until he comes back to pick a date.

Because there's so much a la minute stuff, this might take a slightly different strategy than the Spanish dinner - but Steve always likes to do courses anyway, so that ought to work fine.

Does anyone remember if Steve has a grill? I'm tempted by the Skirt Steak with Shiso-Shallot Butter, or the Fiery Grilled Beef Salad. Or the Dan Dan noodles, if I can figure out how to do hand-shaved noodles. So many good recipes!

#19 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:03 PM

Dang! I was going to go for the Dan Dan noodles, Abra you can get fresh noodles that are a fairly close approximation of hand shaved noodles from Ranch 99. Though I might be able to convince Rocking Wok to sell us some uncooked ones.

Rocky

#20 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:06 PM

Noodles are all yours, Rocky. I just spent the last 15 minutes googling for a hand-shaved recipe, to absolutely no avail. I wasn't meaning to claim them, just wishful-thinking.

By the way, there are lots of interesting sake recommendations in the issue - should we do a sake tasting? Or make sake and sake-based drinks the liquid theme?

#21 white lotus

white lotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:45 PM

I would like the spinach and tofu pot stickers as the recipe is a little different than the ones I already make. I will also bring non-alcohol beverages and some tea. wl

#22 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:59 PM

I like the sesame noodles & prosciutto myself, and I bet that Bill could be convinced to make the Vietnamese coffee ice-cream though not the profiteroles - he freezes, he doesn't bake :lol:

FYI if you have trouble reading the recipes online PM me :lol:
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#23 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:12 PM

Ok, the attendance list so far:

Wendy and Dayne?
Tamiam and Rick?
Rocky (and Dani?) - Dan Dan Noodles with Pickled Mustard Greens
Gourmetlight$
White Lotus (and Dance?) - Spinach and Tofu Potstickers
Eden and Bill - Sesame Noodles with Prosciutto
Scarlett
SeaGal (and Gary?)
Lauren?
Steve
Abra and Shel - Garlic-Brined Pork Banh Mi

#24 white lotus

white lotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:34 PM

Oh darn, I guess the spinach tofu potstickers are already taken. I'll get back to you about another choice. wl

#25 scarlett

scarlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

I'll have to check the issue for a food choice, but this might be a good opportunity to try making this sake drink:

Cucumber, Ginger, and Sake Sangria

http://www.epicuriou...ws/views/232339

I had it a recent event and it was DELISH!
Traca
Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy
Examiner.com - Seattle Food Scene

#26 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:15 PM

WL, my bad! I was channeling Laurel, I guess, who hasn't even posted on this thread yet. What can I say? It sounds like something Laurel would have wanted to make? Lame, I know.

#27 Della

Della

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:26 PM

Depending on what the date turns out to be I might like to get in on this one. Can I be a tentative participant until the date is decided????
Della

#28 white lotus

white lotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:46 PM

WL, my bad!  I was channeling Laurel, I guess, who hasn't even posted on this thread yet.  What can I say?  It sounds like something Laurel would have wanted to make?  Lame, I know.

Yayyyy... I get to do potstickers. wl

#29 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

do we have any tentative dates planned for this?? I'd love to get in on our calendar and pick some dishes, they all sound great in the issue!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#30 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:45 PM

I want in on this one, I missed the last two!
I'm looking forward to regretting this.