113 replies to this topic

#76 GourmetLight$

GourmetLight$

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:10 PM

Hi Eden: please bring 2 sets of 12 ramekins for my mussels. Thank you SO much for the kind offer! :o

Cheers,
Carolyn
~~~~~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

#77 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:47 PM

I've decided to make the Shaved Zucchini with Miso Vinaigrette. I'll also bring some wine and beer.

Looking forward to this!
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#78 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:43 PM

Here's what we have to date, for those of you who still haven't chosen your dishes:

Wendy and Dayne - Red Snapper Soup and Fiery Grilled Beef Salad with Oranges and Crispy Shallots

Rocky (and Dani?) - Dan Dan Noodles with Pickled Mustard Greens, Japanese Curry with Oxtails

Gourmetlight$ +1 - Mussels with Coconut Milk and Thai Chiles

White Lotus and Dance - Spinach and Tofu Potstickers, assorted Japanese pickles

Eden - Sesame Noodles with Prosciutto

Scarlett - Icy Lemon-Ginger Vodka Cocktails and Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream

SeaGal and Gary - Shaved Zucchini with Miso Vinaigrette

Abra and Shel - Garlic-Brined Pork Banh Mi and cream puffs for the profiteroles/sauce for Scarlett's ice cream

Della and Greg - Jicama, Kirby and Carrot Salad with Charred Lamb and Crispy Scallion Potato Pancakes

Malarkey
Heyjude and Richard
Steve

#79 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:31 AM

Alas, Malarkey has realized that she has 2 parties scheduled on this same day. When are you guys thinking of starting? I'd love to come by and say "howdy" and chat with everyone. But I'm doubting I can make anything :o
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#80 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:17 AM

I would think the first plates hitting the table 6:30ish?? That seem right to you? I could use a couple of helpers for setup at 4:30 or 5. I'll post a list of things we have and need tomorrow after I've shooed the girls off to school.

There's the everpresent option of breakfast at Campagne for Oeufs en Meurette, of course (circa 11 am?), followed by shopping in the market, leaving time for a brief nap before the fete begins....

Steve
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." —Dalai Lama

#81 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:30 AM

I'm sorry guys. I have to pull out of the cook together, I have friends coming in to town that I haven't seen in forever and they want to go to a play the same night. Hope you all have tons of fun, and I'll have to live vicariously through the pictures.

Rocky

#82 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

I'm taking a crack at organizing this menu into courses. Still don't know what heyjude and Steve will be making, but how about this?

Appetizers
Ice Lemon-Ginger Vodka Coaktails (Scarlett)
Garlic-Brined Pork Banh Mi (Abra)
Spinach and Tofu Potstickers, assorted Japanese pickles (Connie)

1st (seated) course
Mussels with Coconut Milk and Thai Chiles (Carolyn)

2nd course
Red Snapper Soup and Fiery Grilled Beef Salad with Oranges and Crispy Shallots (Wendy)

3rd course
Sesame Noodles with Prosciutto (Eden) with Shaved Zucchini with Miso Vinaigrette (Jan)

4th course
Jicama, Kirby and Carrot Salad with Charred Lamb and Crispy Scallion Potato Pancakes (Della)

Dessert
Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream (Scarlett) Profiteroles with Mocha Sauce (Abra)

It looks like we're at 17 now. Does anyone else want to join in? Heyjude, are you guys actually coming?

Shel and I will come early to help with setup.

#83 heyjude

heyjude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:12 PM

So, here's the thing. Yes, we are coming, early if you need us. But, I've looked through the F&W several times and while there's nothing I wouldn't eat, there's also nothing that I really want to cook. I will do whatever you suggest since I've dragged my feet so long or alternatively bring something compatible but not official. Or, I could just be the dishwasher. This rarely happens to me. How do you all feel?

#84 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

>nothing I wouldn't eat, there's also nothing that I really want to cook

I felt the same way. I have some notions that involve pork, ginger, and cilantro, but for which no recipe is currently (to my knowledge) extant. I say come as you are, or cook anything that catches your ample fancy.

Steve
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." —Dalai Lama

#85 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:13 AM

I'm really sorry to say that Gary and I aren't going to be able to make it to this dinner after all. :o

Steve's a great host and I know you'll all have a wonderful evening.

Looking forward to the pictures.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#86 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:06 AM

Here's are some of the recipes that I think would really add to the dinner:

Shrimp and Jicama Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Quick Braised Eggplant with Coconut Milk and Scallions
Spicy Lemongrass Ginger Chicken
Steamed Tofu with Shrimp and Black Bean Sauce

Steve and Judy, why don't you each make one of those? Are people feeling intimidated about Asian cooking?

#87 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:53 AM

Revision number ?

Appetizers
Ice Lemon-Ginger Vodka Coaktails (Scarlett)
Garlic-Brined Pork Banh Mi (Abra)
Spinach and Tofu Potstickers, assorted Japanese pickles (Connie)

1st (seated) course
Mussels with Coconut Milk and Thai Chiles (Carolyn)

2nd course
Sesame Noodles with Prosciutto (Eden)

3rd course
Red Snapper Soup and Fiery Grilled Beef Salad with Oranges and Crispy Shallots (Wendy)

4th course
Jicama, Kirby and Carrot Salad with Charred Lamb and Crispy Scallion Potato Pancakes (Della)

Dessert
Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream (Scarlett) Profiteroles (Abra) with Mocha Sauce (Steve), served with coffee (Steve)

I'll add heyjude in when she decides. I might also make the eggplant, just because I love eggplant.

#88 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:55 AM

I will still drop off the oxtail curry if there's room for it.

Rocky

#89 TamIam

TamIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:56 AM

I can't decide if I am jealous or envious or what, but I wish I could join you. Have a ball. Eat a feast. Post pics please!
Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented. -- J. Esther

#90 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:34 AM

Rocky, you know there's always room for your dishes. I just wish you were going to be with us. Of all the dinners for you to have to miss!