609 replies to this topic

#16 heyjude

heyjude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:45 AM

Before going to Tues AM, compare prices at www.caplanduval.com. Even with shipping they were less.

#17 TamIam

TamIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the tip Judy. I've added them to my favorites list!
Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented. -- J. Esther

#18 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

If anyone sees bergamots around town, please PM me. I have an offline friend who would like some, and I'd like to avoid air-dropping them from California. :wub:

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#19 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

Any suggestions on where to buy grits? We checked several stores in Pike Place Market with no luck. (The grillades and polenta were very tasty, though.)

#20 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to the grits query. But Bob's Red Mill brand makes a corn grits-polenta product that might be on the shelves wherever you find his other flours. Or maybe a store can order some for you.

However, I am wondering where in Seattle can I find smoked Turkey Wings?

#21 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:38 PM

I've seen smoked turkey wings at the Red Apple in the CD, and on occaision at the U-Village QFC and Central Market. Laurie, did you mean being able to order grits or get grits to make?

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#22 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:12 PM

Check the safeway at 23rd and Madison for all manner of smoked meats. They have great butchers there and they're always happy to answer questions on the phone.

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#23 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:54 PM

Anyone seen hazelnuts sans skins?? Deskinning them is such a pain!! :unsure:
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#24 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:05 PM

Anyone seen hazelnuts sans skins?? Deskinning them is such a pain!! :unsure:

I get shelled/skinned pistachios at Trader Joe's so maybe they have hazlenuts too...
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#25 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:57 AM

Nope, they only have shelled, but skin on. the chopped alsostill have a bit of skin, though not enough to bother...
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#26 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:03 AM

Anyone seen hazelnuts sans skins??  Deskinning them is such a pain!!  :unsure:

They used to have them at Pasta and Co. at U-Village--however, I asked about them once last summer and they said they were seasonal so they only carried them in the winter. They were roasted and had most of the skin rubbed off--enough if you're not a perfectionist--and so much easier than doing them yourself. Maybe give them a call?
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#27 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

Laurie, did you mean being able to order grits or get grits to make?

We wanted to buy grits to prepare at home (Matthew was making a grillades and grits recipe from All About Braising). I'll check the Bob's Red Mill line.

#28 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

Whole Foods has Albers Quick Grits. They are smaller grain, so they cook 'quicker' but they aren't 'instant' by any means. I like 'em!
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#29 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

Lynnwood Freddies has regular grits in the bulk food section, so if you can find them in LYNNWOOD you can likely find them in any of the Fred's bulk sections. :unsure: I bet you could find 'em in most bulk food sections, actually...Top Foods, Central/Ballard Market, Larry's etc. I have seen them in the Bob's Red Mill section, but bulk is so much cheaper.
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#30 MySiuMai

MySiuMai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:06 AM

I've never seen them anywhere in Seattle, but the Mt. Vernon Grocery Outlet had a good selection of It's It ice cream bars (from San Fran.)

http://www.itsiticecream.com/

I've put in requests at a couple of the Seattle Grocery Outlets, so perhaps they'll take the hint.

I bought each flavor (chocolate, vanilla, and capuccino--sandwiched between oatmeal cookies and dipped in chocolate). YUM.

Megan
My Webpage

"If the gelatin is properly chilled, it will resist the Twinkies. You will push them in; they will slowly rise. It is a tense moment, like the scene in Psycho when Tony Perkins tries to sink Janet Leigh's car."

Jane and Michael Stern, Square Food