609 replies to this topic

#31 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

We have grits. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. There weren't any in the bulk foods at Rainbow Grocery or Broadway QFC, but Matthew found Albers Quick Grits at QFC. We've been eating them up, and Matthew and I are plotting a visit to Kingfish Cafe to see if they still have those fabulous grits cakes on the menu.

#32 Fred Rowe

Fred Rowe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

The folks from the Dandelion restaurant recently gave a demo class at Sur La Table and the primo recipe for the evening was a Crab Gratin using grits. Their favorite source for grits was a company called "Logan Turnpike Mills". It is located north of Atlanta Georgia and has a web site and toll free phone for ordering. The Dandelion chef’s feel that these grits are far superior to any on the market especially the albers type.
Fred Rowe (FWED) Seattle

If you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussel sprouts never do

#33 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

I've never seen them anywhere in Seattle, but the Mt. Vernon Grocery Outlet had a good selection of It's It ice cream bars (from San Fran.)

http://www.itsiticecream.com/

I've put in requests at a couple of the Seattle Grocery Outlets, so perhaps they'll take the hint.

I bought each flavor (chocolate, vanilla, and capuccino--sandwiched between oatmeal cookies and dipped in chocolate). YUM.

Megan

It'sIt's ;) the REAL SanFrancisco treat! I haven't had an It'sIt since I left CA... If you're successful in your campaign let us know, I would love to have them available locally.
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#34 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

It's Its are a pale shadow of their former selves, IMHO. We bought a box last summer when we moved back here, and found that the ice cream is gross, and the chocolate waxy. Not that they were ever gourmet, but <shudder> they've really gone downhill.

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#35 GourmetLight$

GourmetLight$

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

It's Its are a pale shadow of their former selves, IMHO. We bought a box last summer when we moved back here, and found that the ice cream is gross, and the chocolate waxy. Not that they were ever gourmet, but <shudder> they've really gone downhill.

~A

;) Well that's too bad! I used to love It's It when I lived in California too. But isn't that the same with everything - all the stuff I used to love "back in the day" has changed for the worst: Tastycakes and Count Chocula included. AARRGH!

Cheers,
Carolyn
~~~~~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

#36 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:42 PM

Their favorite source for grits was a company called "Logan Turnpike Mills". It is located north of Atlanta Georgia and has a web site and toll free phone for ordering. The Dandelion chef’s feel that these grits are far superior to any on the market especially the albers type.

These are the same grits that Edna Lewis recommends in her books. If you order them, prepare to wait... and wait....

I sent in an order on their site on 3/5, and they just shipped it today (that's a 2-week lag, for those of you keeping score at home), for expected delivery on 3/27. :P

#37 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

Anyone know where to get cake boxes affordably?

I need about ten 10" cake boxes, and I think they run about $2.50 each at the cake supply shop up roosevelt, or for the same (way more than (I want to spend) amount of $$ I can get them by the 100 count at Cash & Carry which would leave me with 90 extra cake boxes I don't want.
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#38 dandelion

dandelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

Did you ever find a good place to get cake boxes? I just need one or two, so I wouldn't mind getting them from the cake supply place that you mentioned... where is that exactly?

Thanks!

#39 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

I went up to Larsen's bakery & while I was buying a bunch of other stuff asked for cake boxes too and they sold me a dozen for about 20cents each. I'm pretty sure you could do the same at any bakery if they were in a good mood. Otherwise you'll pay a bit, but they have them for sure at

Home Cake Decorating Supply Co
9514 Roosevelt Way NE
Seattle, WA 98115
(206) 522-4300

Oh, never go there when you're in a hurry. there's just one woman working and she takes the time to talk to you about whatever project you're working on/have questions about, which is wonderful, but means there's usually a line...
- Athenaeus

#40 dandelion

dandelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

Perfect, thanks for the advice!

#41 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:54 PM

anyone know where you can get blanched almond flour around town? TJ's only stocks the regular ground almonds including the skins, and my online source dried up :lol:
- Athenaeus

#42 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:55 AM

Chefshop? DeLaurenti? (I'm guessing...)

If you don't need it right away, King Arthur Flour sells it here

#43 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

micro-greens?
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#44 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

micro-greens?

Seen 'em at WFoods Bellevue on occasion.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#45 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:46 AM

verjus???
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag