49 replies to this topic

#1 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:21 PM

A belated report w/ photos of my dinner in July at Union Restaurant in downtown Seattle. I will preface it by saying I am a bit biased towards Union, I like Chef Ethan Stowell very much (as do many of us in the PNW!), and have had many good meals here. I enjoyed this one very much, too, and look forward to my next meal there.

Chilled Corn Soup with Truffle Oil - a nice way to start a summer dinner.
Posted Image

Dungeness Crab Salad with Avocado Basil & Watercress. A touch of lemon, too. Light and fresh, and I liked the avocado puree which lightly binded it together). Great flavors and feelings in my mouth while eating this dish!
Posted Image

Chilled Cauliflower Soup with Mushroom (Morels) & Leek Salad and topped w/ Shaved Truffles. Another fresh & summery dish.
Part 1
Posted Image

Chilled Cauliflower Soup with Mushroom (Morels) & Leek Salad and topped w/ Shaved Truffles
Part 2
Posted Image

Orrechiette Pasta with Grilled Octopus, Ligurian Olives and Parsley
I learned how to make this dish the week before in Ethan's cooking class! This is kind of a filling dish. Great full flavors, but I split this with my husband as I knew I could not eat it all myself, and I don't like to fill up on pasta :o .
Posted Image

Hubby's Lamb's Tongue w/ Potato Salad. The 2 bites I had tasted fabulous!
Posted Image

For me: Seared Ahi Tuna with (diced) Green Beans in a butter sauce and sprinkled w/ Red Pepper. Tuna was warm on the outside, rare on the inside, with good texture.
Posted Image

Roasted Squab with fresh Fig Confiture & Salsa. And more Morels, yum. Sorry the photo is dark.
Posted Image

Strawberry Sorbet with Strawberry Consume
Posted Image

Chocolate Profiterole and Cognac Ice Cream. This ice cream was amazing, as was the chocolate.
Posted Image

We drank a 2003 St. Innocence Pinot Noir Temperance Hill Vinyard.

Going from memory, my favorite bites or dishes that stood above the rest were the Crab Salad (always a favorite), the Lamb's Tongue, and the Cognac Ice cream w/Chocolate Profiterole. :o . On a previous occasion, the Squab was my favorite. They also make an excellent crispy Sea Bass dish.

This is great restaurant, I highly recommend going if you have not been there yet.

Service was also very good. I enjoyed the tempo of our meal, which was not to have long lapses between courses.

Union Restaurant
1400 1st Ave, Seattle (corner of 1st and Union, near Pike Place Mkt).
(206) 838-8000

Some links to other discussions here on Union:

Rovers or Union/ Seattle, Fine Dining in Seattle

Sunday Dinners at Union, Oktoberfest and more...

Ethan Stowell (Union) Cooking Class

Pike Place Market, Union, etc...

#2 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

Didn't I hear that Union was introducing a bar menu? Can anyone share details? The website just has one sample dinner menu. I don't often get out for a multi-course meal, but I'd love to drop in at the bar some time.

#3 Guest_barleywino1_*

Guest_barleywino1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:59 PM

Bar menu changes daily, available before 7pm and after 9pm. Small dishes rather than typical bar food like sliders, calamari, olives, etc. Recent items ranging from raw (tairagai (razor clam) carpaccio or ocean trout carpaccio or beef tartare), to pasta or risotto or a cold soup, to quail, braised veal cheek or beef. Often includes downsized and downpriced versions of the regular menu items. Can put together a nice meal by sampling from the bar and regular app menus.

#4 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 02:40 PM

Before 7 and after 9 is exactly when I might stop by. Sounds delicious, especially considering the good things I've heard about Union cocktails.

#5 Guest_barleywino1_*

Guest_barleywino1_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:13 AM

Correction: post-dinner bar menu starts at 10pm
Seasonal special (not on menu): If you give advance notice, they can make pumpkin risotto served in the hollowed out roast pumpkin for you

#6 cupcake

cupcake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

When I was getting my haircut the other day, I overheard a customer talking about the "foie gras" riot at Union. Apparently, there were picketers, etc. Did anyone see this? How ridiculous. I understand not personally wanting to eat it but picketing seems extreme.

#7 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

That was a few weeks ago, a PETA/ALF offshoot was protesting various establishments around Seattle, including Union, DeLaurenti, Maximillien, and Campagne.

Rocky

#8 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:35 PM

Bar menu changes daily, available before 7pm and after 9pm. Small dishes rather than typical bar food like sliders, calamari, olives, etc. Recent items ranging from raw (tairagai (razor clam) carpaccio or ocean trout carpaccio or beef tartare), to pasta or risotto or a cold soup, to quail, braised veal cheek or beef. Often includes downsized and downpriced versions of the regular menu items.  Can put together a nice meal by sampling from the bar and regular app menus.

This sounds really good - I've been looking for a late night place to eat as our flight doesn't get in until 10:30pm (if it's on time) and most places only serve until 11pm. Flying Fish serves dinner until 1am so that would be our default (or back-up) but Union just looks amazing and the kind of food my husband and I (NY food biz rats that we are) love.

barleywino1, seems you are a big fan of Union - do you think we can easily make a meal out of the bar food and have a good sense of the food, since a good portion of the bar menu is smaller portions of dishes on the menu? also, we're going tomorrow, so will it be very busy on a Fri. night around 11pm? If we get there early enough, I'd love to have proper dinner but can't count on it.
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#9 Guest_barleywino1_*

Guest_barleywino1_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:25 PM

nuxvomica, the bar menu does change a lot, and some nights there are more selections than other nights, but i doubt you will have any problem getting seats, and the chef is sometimes amenable to requests if they are not overly busy (and maybe if you explain that you just got off the plane and rushed over). If nothing else, call ahead and warn them you are coming in late, maybe he can save something for you. If you get in really too late, you might try Palace Kitchen, although the food there is much less interesting imho. Good luck!

#10 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:28 PM

I've been looking for a late night place to eat as our flight doesn't get in until 10:30pm (if it's on time) and most places only serve until 11pm.  Flying Fish serves dinner until 1am so that would be our default (or back-up)...

Not to dissuade you from going to Union -- which I love -- but Palace Kitchen serves until 1am, and they -only- serve their oh-so-yummy breakfast after 10pm. ;)

Also, Via Tribunali is open late (by Seattle standards)... anyone confirm that recently?

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#11 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:29 PM

Thank you! I'll definitely call them and beg :-)

I'm sure I'll have better luck than with Salumi - been to Seattle twice and each time it was closed. it's always weekends and mondays... grrr

#12 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:47 PM

Palace Kitchen sounds very nice- I like tte menu - and I LOVE eggs for dinner but not breakfast for dinner. Do they only serve the late breakfast after 10pm or is it in addition to the regular menu?

#13 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

It's in addition to the rest of the menu. In fact, it's on the regular menu, with a note that it's only served late night.

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#14 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:14 PM

I also love Palace for late night eats! Great suggestion!

Other Palace items that are sooo tasty are the homemade plin, the hot wings and the burger!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#15 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:19 PM

It's in addition to their regular menu at Palace Kitchen, but I too have to say that if you can make it to Union definitely go. The number for Union is 206-838-8000. Another option is Le Pichet just up the street from Union, they are open until 2AM on Friday and Saturday if you only make it in time for drinks and apps at Union.

Rocky