49 replies to this topic

#31 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

Just saw that Ethan has been included among the 2008 crop of F&W Best New Chefs. Congrats! After being in business for 4.5 years, I'm sure Ethan is glad to know that he's still "new". laugh.gif

Long overdue given the other Seattle chefs that have been tapped over the past few years for this award. Hopefully this will give Union the juice needed to do something crazy, like.....bring back the tasting menu! ninja.gif
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#32 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

After a way too long hiatus, Pat and I had dinner at Union on Saturday night. Honestly, we were early for reservations at different restaurant, stopped in for a glass of wine and a snack, bit into the ricotta bruschetta and said, 'why aren't we having dinner here?!' While I still prefer the less Italian-ized cuisine of Union's early years, there's no doubt its still one of the very best restaurants in town. Two dishes stood out in particular: the beef carpaccio and the grilled baby octopus with controne beans. The carpaccio was an all-timer, served with excellent olive oil, shaved radish and pecorino. Also had some great oysters with ingenious additions. Does anyone else in town approach Ethan's skills with marrying interesting flavors with raw seafood? I recently had a crudo at another of Seattle's best places that didn't hold a candle to what Union and A&A turn out. Union deserves to be busy, go!

#33 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(tighe @ Apr 19 2010, 02:07 PM) View Post
After a way too long hiatus, Pat and I had dinner at Union on Saturday night. Honestly, we were early for reservations at different restaurant, stopped in for a glass of wine and a snack, bit into the ricotta bruschetta and said, 'why aren't we having dinner here?!' While I still prefer the less Italian-ized cuisine of Union's early years, there's no doubt its still one of the very best restaurants in town. Two dishes stood out in particular: the beef carpaccio and the grilled baby octopus with controne beans. The carpaccio was an all-timer, served with excellent olive oil, shaved radish and pecorino. Also had some great oysters with ingenious additions. Does anyone else in town approach Ethan's skills with marrying interesting flavors with raw seafood? I recently had a crudo at another of Seattle's best places that didn't hold a candle to what Union and A&A turn out. Union deserves to be busy, go!

We had that dish a couple of weeks ago and I agree, it was fantastic. Union remains my favorite restaurant in Seattle.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#34 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Peggy and I really enjoyed it when we visited last summer - but not as much as meeting the group for dim sum.

#35 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(Rich @ Apr 22 2010, 11:21 AM) View Post
Peggy and I really enjoyed it when we visited last summer - but not as much as meeting the group for dim sum.

That was fun! When are you coming back? We'll do it again!

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#36 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ Apr 22 2010, 04:45 PM) View Post

We truly enjoyed ourselves and are thinking of coming back (just to Seattle and Vancouver) during the fall of 2011. I know it's a long time, but this year is booked. All of you know that I'll cook for you when you visit the Big Apple.

#37 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(Rich @ Apr 22 2010, 01:49 PM) View Post

We truly enjoyed ourselves and are thinking of coming back (just to Seattle and Vancouver) during the fall of 2011. I know it's a long time, but this year is booked. All of you know that I'll cook for you when you visit the Big Apple.

We really ought to plan a ROAD TRIP!!!
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#38 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(SeaGal @ Apr 22 2010, 06:46 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Rich @ Apr 22 2010, 01:49 PM) View Post

We really ought to plan a ROAD TRIP!!!

You pick the date, I'll forage for the food.

#39 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,719 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

Can you believe it was ten years ago we met some of you guys for lunch at Union?

#40 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

Yes, hard to believe.  So your daughter must be a teenager (or close) now.  Good luck with that! ;-)

One niggle about your blog post: Use of Pike's Place instead of Pike Place is a common mistake by visitors (and some natives), and frankly it drives pedantic locals like me nuts!  I'm sure there are NYC equivalents.

#41 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,719 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

Oh, I'll correct that.

Yes, the daughter is going on 14, and making her competitive soccer debut today!

#42 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

How did I miss meeting Wilfrid ten years ago??

Ah, Lark. Such a great place. And I miss Union. Still.

#43 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,719 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

Isn't it time I came back to Seattle?  :(

#44 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

Yes!

#45 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:07 AM

We all know Union is no longer, right?

:)