156 replies to this topic

#16 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:03 AM

Perhaps since so many folks said they are neophytes, it might be good to start with the REALLY basic. The meaning of 'rajas.'

It comes from the Spanish word 'rajar' which means to split, to tear, to shred. So a raja is a strip, or a torn, or shredded thing. In this case, we're talking about strips of chiles, but you can use it to describe many things...strips of meat, or clothing, for example. Rajas de res o pollo would be strips of beef or chicken, like for fajitas. And you might use the verb 'rajar' to describe what you plan to do to your man's face with your fingernails if he ever messes with that puta again.

The pronounciation is RAH-ha.

And I'm looking forward to the recipe con crema y cebolla (CRAY-mah, say-BOY-ah)....cream and onions...that Cristina mentioned.

The Voice of America

#17 persimmon

persimmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:08 AM

Sounds great Jaymes!

Very much a novice though ...never been to Mexico, & very few Mexican restos in my neck of the woods.

One thing I already did know...don't rinse peppers after charring! Am I allowed in?

#18 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:39 AM

Great great great idea. I'm in whenever possible.

How about some soups while it's still cold?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#19 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:44 AM

Soups sound wonderful, Omni, and as I'm sure you know since you travel there frequently, Mexico is justifiably famous for its soups.

But for the second dish, I'd really love to do cochinita pibil, with the traditional sides of pickled red onions, and platanos.

For one thing, I love it and have never made it.

And for another, I know there are folks on MF that have some experience with it.

The Voice of America

#20 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:42 AM

We could start simple with a Sopa de Lima, for example. Maybe everybody could make their chicken stock ahead of time...
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#21 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 06:52 AM

I'm sorry Porkwah, what was your address again?
s
Have a Goldstone, Mr. Eggroll.
Tell me any little thing that I can do.
Have some fried rice, Mr. Soy Sauce.
Have a cookie, have a few!

Cooking with a Broad
The fabulous art of Bill Blair

#22 theabroma

theabroma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:53 AM

Soups sound wonderful, Omni, and as I'm sure you know since you travel there frequently, Mexico is justifiably famous for its soups.

But for the second dish, I'd really love to do cochinita pibil, with the traditional sides of pickled red onions, and platanos.

For one thing, I love it and have never made it.

And for another, I know there are folks on MF that have some experience with it.

Cochinita is great and those pickled onions are good on so many things - and real easy to make. They have the advantage of keeping forever.

We could add tinga poblana. Pozole - red, green, and white.

Theabroma

#23 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:02 PM

Cochinita is a great idea and besides seville oranges are in season! Let's do it.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#24 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:34 PM

Okay, great! Let's select a date for the first group-cook. Sometime this coming week, perhaps?

The Voice of America

#25 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:36 PM

Lippy has authorized me to accept on her behalf.
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#26 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:36 PM

Next week sounds great: are we starting with stuffed poblanos or cochinita? Maybe both?
Should we have a poll? :lol:
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#27 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:42 PM

I'm confused. What happened to the rajas? Although stuffed poblano sounds good to me.

#28 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:46 PM

Only day I can do it this coming week is Monday, unfortunately. But don't worry about me, it will happen to lots of us and we'll join in when we can.

Will we make an ingredients list and then actually all cook at the same time? What abotu the time differences?

Am I being a little too anal?

Should we have a team leader each time, as it were? And I guess there will be some things (like stocks for example) that we need to do ahead of time...

#29 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:49 PM

Let's not get too formal, although we'll need a shopping list. We'll cook when we can, please.

#30 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:52 PM

You mean we won't all do it on the same day?