#16 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:26 PM

and a review

I suspect Bruni or Paglia wrote that review.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#17 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:38 PM

and a review

real, ultimate power

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#18 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:58 PM

and a review

real, ultimate power

Facts:

1.    Ninjas are mammals.

2.    Ninjas fight ALL the time.

3.    The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Okay, so Paglia wrote it.

#19 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:01 PM

Miguel, go to one of the Flo places for seafood, for sure. Bofinger, La Coupole...if you're going to choose one, go to Bofinger. Nice room.

Special mention also to La Cave at L'Os a Moelle. It's a wine bar with small plates of food, menu changes daily....we hung out there for a while while we were waiting for a table at the restaurant (L'Os a Moelle) and we were sorry we didn't have a chance for a full meal there. Great atmosphere, good and interesting wines by the glass, rustic small plates, not expensive, casual and fun. We had an excellent terrine, as I recall.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#20 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:05 PM

Flo Brasseries

I'm partial to La Coupole, mostly because it was the first Bistro that we took our then baby girl too.

#21 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:14 PM

This is all great, thanks. I might order the Hamburger book also, I love to go into these situations with as much information as possible.
I did go to L'Os a Moelle in 2003 but I think the Cave was not open yet.
"I mispoke."

#22 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 08:22 PM

Strongly agree with recommendations for Villaret - I've had lunch there twice now and great both times. Unfancy but very well done modernised classic food. First time I had a langoustine bisque with chorizo and a poulet fermeire leg with girolles, second a cuttlefish salad and a galette of pig's trotter with ceps. They love mushrooms and do great things with them... The trotter was great too, a crispy crispy cake on the outside filled with wonderfully gooey and gelatinous trotter meat. Food goes from pan to table in about 20 seconds from what I can tell too - the second time i was sitting quite near the kitchen and heard my friend's tuna leave the pan and the cook ring for service virtually simulataneously, and the food was with us seconds later. A nice feeling that small restaurants can really do well.

Love the cheese too, they bring a little cabinet and leave it on the table. Not the best quality I've ever had but nice and a good range. Almost can't believe the value at 25 euros for the 3 course prix fixe.
He has taken up residence in the 'Grand Hotel Abyss' - a beautiful hotel, equipped with every comfort, on the edge of an abyss, of nothingness, of absurdity. And the daily contemplation of the abyss between excellent meals or artistic entertainments, can only heighten the enjoyment of the subtle comforts offered.

Lukacs on Adorno, but....

#23 pim

pim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:39 AM

L'os à Moelle is still good after all these years. La Cave is also fun, and the food is family style.

Le Pré Verre is very nice as well. They have a very good wine list that's moderately priced, and from interesting appellations beyond the standards.

I adore Le Meurice. Have had many a good meal there. Orik, sorry to hear about your experience. You might have just caught them on a bad day. Sent Manresa's chef de cuisine there and he had a great meal too, just last week even.

I can't even.

#24 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:56 AM

Hmm, maybe, but of all the meals of the last trip it was the only one I wouldn't happily repeat, more because there was nothing memorable about it than because anything was particularly wrong (well, I think the turbot dish was quite wrong, but that's subjective).

Also, service fell apart after they learned the editor of some magazine (Bon Appetit?) was there... felt too much like a restaurant in the US, possibly due to the captain spending some time at L'Orangerie.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#25 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,117 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:10 AM

possibly due to the captain spending some time at L'Orangerie.

Eewww. Kiss of death. :o

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#26 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:31 PM

Le Pré Verre is very nice as well. They have a very good wine list that's moderately priced, and from interesting appellations beyond the standards.

Located in 8 rue Thenard, it is very close to our base of operations. Sounds good.
"I mispoke."

#27 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:25 AM

Would that I could be there with you.

I've been hanging around seeing what others had to say. My complete list is just too damned long to be of any real use.

The most popular (read "most written-about in books, web-sites, blogs, and food forums") include l'Ami Jean, le Troquet, l'Avant Gout, Chez Michel, l'Entredgue, l'Ourcine, l'Epi Dupin (on a down-slope), Cafe Constant, le Pre Verre, le Repaire de Cartouche, and l'Os à Moelle (along with its nearby Cave). All of them are excellent in their own ways.

Add (less written-about): Les Allobroges (truly outstanding, but in the distance of the 20th), C'Amelot (perhaps tipping downward), l'Affrolé (fine bistrot hard by l'Ami Jean on rue Malar), le Machon d'Henri (on rue Guisarde in the 6th, a street full of interesting bistrots), Chez Casimir (sibling and neighbor of Chez Michel), à la Biche au Bois (long time favorite of mine, huge portions of excellent bistrot fare), Villeret (first recommended to me by Marc Cosnard de Closets, the Foodhunter, and which I've heartily endorsed ever since).

You can find any of these on google.fr (perhaps not on google.com, though) to find hours, phone, and address.

You're going to be in Paris during game season, and l'Ami Jean, Biche au Bois, and others of a gamy slant will have (depending on the exact season) marcassin (boar), sanglier (baby boar), canard sauvage (wild duck), colombe (dove), biche (roe doe), chevereuil (roebuck), perdreau and perdrix (young and mature partridge), and/or other wonderful stuff. Were I there in that time, perhaps that's all I'd eat. It's certainly a rare opportunity to eat stuff not to be had anywhere in the US except perhaps in a few private clubs.

If you're interested in even less well-known places, I'll try to post some notes about Dix Vins, L'Ami Marcel, Le Barricou, L'Abadache, Bistrot Paul Bert, maybe others. Overwhelming, of course. You'll have to emulate me and stay three months or so.
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#28 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:38 PM

This is excellent Maurice, thanks. I'll be there for two weeks, not your required three months, but that will give me some opportunity to try some, several, plenty of your recommendations. Thanks for the heads up on the game season. Lots of stuff there I have never seen on a menu and that I'll be inclined to try.

Please feel free to provide more information on "Dix Vins, L'Ami Marcel, Le Barricou, L'Abadache, Bistrot Paul Bert, maybe others." This is very useful and welcome information.

Thanks again.
"I mispoke."

#29 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:19 PM

Special mention also to La Cave at L'Os a Moelle.  It's  a wine bar with small plates of food, menu changes daily

Has 'La Cave' changed their format?!?! That would be a shame IMO. When I visited a couple years ago, there were terrines/pates on the table and a couple pots on the stove and desserts and cheese nearby and you helped yourself to whatever and how much you pleased.

FWIW, if you're a fan of food of the southwest (France, that is) Sud Ouest Monceau (17th arr.) fulfilled my dreams of the perfect rustic French meal...
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#30 Dave

Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for all the posts to this board. As with Miguel, my wife and I will be in Paris for a few days in early October before and after a canal barge week in Alsace and would very much appreciate any restaurant recommendations you could make.

To help with our taste, we love Les Zygomates (but not their newer Zygotissoire). We also like Fontaine de Mars, and will again enjoy Le Bar du Caveau (pl Dauphine, Cite) for lunch. A decade ago, I enjoyed Le Petit Villiers (M Wagram) for their good French standards, although recent reviews give me some pause about returning. Polidor has been uneven in my experience, but the lentil soup with foie gras is always a delight.

We will be staying on R. des Ecoles in the 5th, but using the Metro is no problem. We would be most appreciative if you could recommend a resto or 2 for us to try.

We'll be at Deheillerin to shop; is the Onion Soup at au Pied still up to par?